Urch Forums

A good exercise program helps teach people ...

Tho

Hey,

I have some doubts in following sentences

1. A good exercise program helps teach people to avoid the habits that might shorten the lives.

I am a bit confused here, the answer is either A or D. "the" should be "their" and "helps teach" should be "helps to teach". How about your thoughts? if in real test, i will choose D.:(

2.__________modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to personalize them with warmer, less severe interiors.

(A) If

(B) But

© With

(D) Once

I think D but don't know why "becoming" is OK.

Thanks a heap.:)

Let me try to answer these questions.

Originally posted by Tho

Hey,

I have some doubts in following sentences

1. A good exercise program helps teach people to avoid the habits that might shorten the lives.

I am a bit confused here, the answer is either A or D. "the" should be "their" and "helps teach" should be "helps to teach". How about your thoughts? if in real test, i will choose D.:(

1. I think D is the answer. It should be "their lives".

The structure "help teach people" is right. " help to teach people" is also okay, but "to" is optional.

2.__________modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to personalize them with warmer, less severe interiors.

(A) If

(B) But

© With

(D) Once

I think D but don't know why "becoming" is OK.

Thanks a heap.:)

I think this is a type of ellipsis, and D is not the answer. The answer is C in my opinion.

"With modern offices becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to personalize them with warmer, less severe interiors." sound correct to me.

The original sentence may be "

"With modern offices that are becoming more mechanized, designers are attempting to personalize them with warmer, less severe interiors."

What do you think?

(A) If

(B) But

© With

(D) Once

(A) ---> if we use "If" we should have a verb (may be "become"), not "becoming"

(B) ---> the same as (A)

© ---> the whole meaning of the sentence sounds good

(D) ---> it is doubtful that once an office was mechanized

Just my 10 stotinki :D