Urch Forums

#109: When people move to another country, some of

wiou4e

Hi my TM friends:),

Please help me to point out any minor mistakes!!! I wanna be better in TOEFL!!!

#109. When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.

There is no doubt that our world is becoming a small-shared house for everybody. We can move from country to country with fewer difficulties in terms of life style or culture. There are fundamentally two main trends of living when people move to another country, copying the new country’s customs or preserving their home town’s one. Between the two types, although each one has its own features which I will point out in this essay, I strongly support the way we people should combine the two choices in order to make our life more comfortable and successful.

In the early type, following the new customs of the country that we move in has numerous marvelous aspects. Being familiar with what are the commonplaces and practices in where we spend our life is important and worth thing for us. Because we can live and act as normally as other native people if we understand and respect the mood of the new life. For example, it is definitely normal when people in the West kissing each other on their cheeks when they meet. But this, for Asian people, is very strange and may lead to some misunderstandings. Therefore new way of life should be understood and adapted properly. That is the reason why we should get to know the new country’s customs.

Secondly, getting to know the new history, the new life style and culture of that country is an essential thing. Because it not only helps you to have a comfortable life, but also create many new amazing things to you which you have never or seldom met before when you remained in your home country. For example, for the simplest thing in our daily life, eating, you must know what people have for meals daily and how to cook that kind of food. This will bring you many conveniences because that food is the popular food and is available everywhere in your neighborhood. Also it will create new joy and interest when you learn a new simple thing.

Meanwhile, keeping our own customs has special feature in terms of preserving our natural characteristics and heritages what distinct you from other people in the new community. Being grown with the habit of having cooked rice for your meals you can remain it as a special enjoyment when eating with your family. Or if you want to go to pagodas every rounding or waning moon’s occasions, you should remain doing that too. Just because it is your way of life, moving to a new country does not mean you have to forget all of your habits and likes.

In conclusion, living our life properly in a new country should combine both two ways, following new customs and keeping our own one. It will help us to live conveniently and corresponding to the facts while still be the natural people who we are. That is why I strongly support the mixture way of living when people moving to another country.

Thank you all for your support!!

P/S: I spent almost 45 mins to finish it!!

Hi Wiou!

I like your whole idea! I agree with you that we should to mix our own custom with a new one to the happiest way of living.

Here is your minor mistakes!

There is no doubt that our world is becoming a small-shared house for everybody. We can move from one country to other countries with fewer a few difficulties in terms of life style or culture. There are fundamentally two main trends of living when people move to another country, copying the new country’s customs or preserving their hometown’s one. Between the two types, although each one has its own features which I will point out in this essay, I strongly support the way we people should combine the two choices in order to make our life more comfortable and successful.

In the early type, following to the new customs of the country that where we move in has numerous marvelous aspects. Being familiar with what are the commonplaces are and practicing in where we spend our life is important and worth thing for us. Because we can live and act as normally as other native people if we understand and respect the mood of the new life. For example, it is definitely normal when people in the West kissing each other on their cheeks when they meet. But this, for Asian people, is very strange and may lead to some misunderstandings. Therefore the new way of life should be understood and adapted properly. That is the reason why we should get to know the new country’s customs.

Secondly, getting to know the new history, the new life style and the new culture of the (new) country is an essential thing. Because it not only helps you to have a comfortable life, but also creates many new amazing things to you ,which you have never or seldom met before when you remained in your home country, to you. For example, eating, for the simplest thing in our daily life, eating, you must know what people have for meals daily daily meals and how to cook that kind of food. This will bring you many conveniences because that food is the popular food and is available everywhere in your neighborhood. Also, it will create new joy and interest when you learn a new simple thing.

Meanwhile, keeping our own customs has special feature in terms of preserving our natural characteristics and heritages what which is distinct you from other people in the new community. Being grown Growing with the habit of having cooked rice for your meals you can remain it as a special enjoyment when eating with your family. Or if you want to accustomed to going to pagodas every rounding or waning moon’s occasions, you should remain doing that too. Just Because it is your way of life. Moving to a new country does not mean you have to forget all of your habits and likes.

In conclusion, to live living our life properly in a new country, we should combine both two ways, following new customs and keeping our own one. It will help us to live conveniently and correspondingly to the facts while still and to be the natural people who we are. That is why I strongly support the mixtureed way of living when people are moving to another country.

Just my 2 cent

Noon

Hi wiou4e!

I think that the stand you have taken is the "ideal situation" and it reflects exactly your point of view.

But the topic clearly asks you to take a stand : "Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details." Considering this, you should mention in the first paragraph your preference out of the two. Later it asks you to compare. this is where you can mention a combination of both as an example but this should still not weaken your stand. Remeber you have been asked to support your answer with specific examples.

This is something I am telling you out of experience in one of my previous essays when i had taken a middleway and not a stand.

Hi Atnoon and Ranu, :)

Thank you for reply!!!

That's really great when you like my idea a little bit Atnoon!!!!

Dear Ranu, I did read almost all of essays posted in this forum and I read yours too, the one that you meaned you were quite in the midlleway!! I agree with Renata about the idea to make it clear the one choice that we support! But in this specific topic, I myself can not pick any of them seperately. B/c I think that it is not sufficient

way of life when we just only follow the new country's customes or just keep our own!! I think we must combine the two types.

So do you think it's posible to write as I did in this specific topic?? Or for the higher score I have to say some thing that I don't realy believe!!!

Again thanxx a lot!!;)

Wiou

Score: 6.0

Stariver,

What a wonderful essay! Although it's safer to follow the prompt, and choose one side, I don't think that any reasonable essay reader could ding you for saying that both things are important. I have read many essays on this topic, and many, many people say that both are important. In fact, I also believe that both are pretty much equally important. This is perhaps not a well chosen topic, because many people will say that both are equally important.

To be safe, you could always just choose one side and explain how you think that that one side is slightly more important than the other.

Originally posted by ErinBilly

Score: 6.0

Stariver,

Wooww!!! :D:o;)That's really fantastic!!! Thank you for giving me such a beautiful score!! A dream one for me!!

What a wonderful essay!

I am so happy that you like it!!

Although it's safer to follow the prompt, and choose one side, I don't think that any reasonable essay reader could ding you for saying that both things are important. I have read many essays on this topic, and many, many people say that both are important. In fact, I also believe that both are pretty much equally important. This is perhaps not a well chosen topic, because many people will say that both are equally important.

To be safe, you could always just choose one side and explain how you think that that one side is slightly more important than the other.

Yesss, I understand what you mean, I will try to do as you suggested! And hope that my writting will be better after being given the highest score I have ever dreamed of!! I am really inspired!!

Thank you so much![^]

• 3 weeks later...

He,

I do not know why, but under my name appear something like ... "be nice with me"... well, please don't consider it [:(!] because I need absolutly to improve my skills [xx(].

When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.

If I should have to leave my country to another one, I would have the choice between to follow my own customs or to keep the customs of the new country. These attitudes are very differents from one person to another, and depend on their character and their origin and culture.

I know for example a lot of people, living in Paris, and coming from other country, that try to maintain their own customs. They try to cook their traditional dishes, speaking their own language, and to maintain the habits they had before to leave their country. For instance, I have a couple of friends that are being living here in Paris from 5 years. They are married together, and together are Italians. Often they invite me to have a dinner during the week or a Sunday lunch. Each time I feel like I was in Italy, because they listen all the time Italian music, and speak only Italian, and know only Italian persons living in Paris. That is very odd, but interesting at the same time, because for me is like to go at Rome for Lunch, staying in Paris.

In the same way, I know other persons that will prefer to integrate the new country. They will make efforts to take new habits, trying to avoid persons coming from their same country. They will privilege local native persons, improving faster, in this way, their language skills.

For instance, I have a Spanish friend from Seville that, like me, came in France because he found that Paris was a very beautiful city. He was a very good guitar player, and staying in Paris, he learned a lot of George Brassen's songs and other very good French singers. This permitted to him to learn French in a very short time, and above all, to be appreciate from French people, that usually are not so friendly like Spanish or Italian people.

Some people leaving their own country try to feel at home keeping their customs. Other persons try to integrate the new country, taking new habits. I prefer this second attitude, because I think that it is more interesting and more enriching, and permit to feel better in less time. Furthermore, in this way, it shall be easier to be accepted from the local inhabitants.

Hello!

I do not know why, but under my name appear something like ... "be nice with me"...

That's why you have posted only 7 posts (so far) and we say that you are a new guy here. And we don't want you to get hurt :D After you grow up and write more post this rank will change.

About your essay. This time it has many mistakes, especially in the 1st part. But again your essay is off-topic. The examples you gave are wonderful, but that's not enough. You should have simply said: this way is ok, because (enumerate some advantages). This way is bad, because (enumerate some disadvantages). And now you support the statement: 'When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs.' You should say which is better and why (and you talk about it only in the conclusion). In fact, your conclusion should be the intro... and everything above should be rephrased or deleted...

Sorry for bad news, but you have to practice more. And I advice you to read some sample essays in TM's toefl essay section or this forum.

Good luck! And post all questions, doubts and remarks you have.

Renata

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by wiou4e

Hi my TM friends:),

#110. When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.

There is no doubt that our world is becoming a small-shared house for everybody. We can move from country to country with fewer difficulties in terms of life style or culture. There are fundamentally two main trends of living when people move to another country, copying the new country’s customs or preserving their home town’s one. Between the two types, although each one has its own features which I will point out in this essay, I strongly support the way we people should combine the two choices in order to make our life more comfortable and successful.

In the early type, following the new customs of the country that we move in has numerous marvelous aspects. Being familiar with what are the commonplaces and practices in where we spend our life is important and worth thing for us. Because we can live and act as normally as other native people if we understand and respect the mood of the new life. For example, it is definitely normal when people in the West kissing each other on their cheeks when they meet. But this, for Asian people, is very strange and may lead to some misunderstandings. Therefore new way of life should be understood and adapted properly. That is the reason why we should get to know the new country’s customs.

Secondly, getting to know the new history, the new life style and culture of that country is an essential thing. Because it not only helps you to have a comfortable life, but also create many new amazing things to you which you have never or seldom met before when you remained in your home country. For example, for the simplest thing in our daily life, eating, you must know what people have for meals daily and how to cook that kind of food. This will bring you many conveniences because that food is the popular food and is available everywhere in your neighborhood. Also it will create new joy and interest when you learn a new simple thing.

Meanwhile, keeping our own customs has special feature in terms of preserving our natural characteristics and heritages what distinct you from other people in the new community. Being grown with the habit of having cooked rice for your meals you can remain it as a special enjoyment when eating with your family. Or if you want to go to pagodas every rounding or waning moon’s occasions, you should remain doing that too. Just because it is your way of life, moving to a new country does not mean you have to forget all of your habits and likes.

In conclusion, living our life properly in a new country should combine both two ways, following new customs and keeping our own one. It will help us to live conveniently and corresponding to the facts while still be the natural people who we are. That is why I strongly support the mixture way of living when people moving to another country.

Thank you all for your support!!

P/S: I spent almost 45 mins to finish it!!

Hello everybody. Here is my essay. I tell the truth I stole first two sentence from another essay that has inspired me to express my own point of view. Thanks ahead for any comments.

When people move to another country, they may choose whether they will accept it's customs, or keep the customs of their home country. Accepting the new customs may help us overcome the cultural shock caused by the change of environment, while keeping your own customs gives us emotional support in the new conditions, by maintaining cultural link with your home country. I would prefer to keep my own customs because they are a part of my personality, they make me an interesting person in a society with different customs and they would help me to bring up my children with respect to their origin.

Diversity of cultures makes the world beautiful and interesting place to live. It could be very boring if in all countries people speak same language, sing same songs and celebrate same holidays. In my home country Ukraine customs has been establishing for hundreds years. Ignoring them when move to other country would be not just wrong but it could tell about you as a person without roots and principle. I was brought up with pride of being Ukrainian and with respect to our language, songs, holidays and land. That’s why I think that keeping your home country customs even if live in other country is very important.

Furthermore, I found it very interesting to meet people from different countries that have their own customs. For example, I like dance and songs from India and countries of South America. I enjoy Chinese and Italian food. My husband is Uzbek and his customs have never ceased to amaze me. Being Ukrainian in Canada I found that people consider you as more interesting and more bright personality if they know that you can speak your own language, know your culture and keep your own holidays. Ukrainian descends in Canada are always willing to talk to you and ask you about Ukraine and its life.

Last but not the least, keeping your home country customs when you live in other country is very important if you want that your children know who are they, where they come from and why they should continue keeping their customs and pass to their own children. There are so many people in Canada that know that their grandparents came from Ukraine. But, unfortunately, they can hardly manage to pronounce couple words in Ukrainian or have a hard time reminding what city they lived. I am sorry for them because they have lost their roots.

To conclude, as every culture and customs are part of people’s lives they should be preserved for coming generations in order to one not get lost in gray area. One should keep his own customs while living in other country because it makes him a person with definite origin, history and culture.

Hi, everyone.

Please evaluate my essay.

Any kind is welcomed and much appreciated.

#109. When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.

I would like to live conformed to the customs of a new country because it benefit not only me but also everyone else.

In case of sticking to the customs of my country in another country, I will be troubled or trouble the people. To illustrate, in Japan, my own country, there are publicbaths, where people must wash their body well before they get in the bathtub because of sharing a bathtub with others, and yet I hear from the manager of one that a Russian group of five got in the bathtub with soap bubbles remaining on all their body, and afterwards, they even drunk from a bottle of vodka, passing around them in trun! How much people around them had been annoyed?

Thus holding the customs of my counrty anywhere in a foreign country can trouble the people. As is the later story, the manager sued them for this improper act, and forbade foreigners admission to it. Thus taking our customs as they are into a new country can even threaten to lead to the breach of a law and the depreciation of people from my country. I would, in effect, have to feel the necessity of modifing my way of living in the country.

By contrust, in case of abiding by the customs of the country, I will get comfortable life. This attitude will offer me more opportunities to meet and mix with native people, and I can thereby get wider and deeper understanding of the people, culture, the very fabric of society. Conclusively, I will surely live in harmony with them and the society, which promises a more manageable life. Additionaly, this will also help me avoid the risk I have mentioned above.

In summery, I would willingly comply with the customs of a new countryon behalf of both people in a new country and people in my country including me.

• 9 months later...

Topic #109:

When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the

customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare

these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific

details.

People sometimes are embarassed with exotic scene when they move to another

country. Although some people don't follow the customs of the new country,

i have the opinion that following the customs of the new country is better

than keeping their own customs when moving to another country in that they

could give the person various experiences.

More than anything else, let's take a look at an experience aspect. When

people move to another country, he or she anticipate a lot of things about

the country. If he or she stick to his or her own customs, they have no

chance to learn the customs and traditions. Without this, they would have

many difficulties in adapting the country and lose many chances to get more

experiences in the new country. Put shortly, people must follow

the customs and rules of the new country when moving to a new country to

get more experiences.

On the other hand, there are many possibilities of ill customs. When moving

to a new country, if the customs is not good compared with the old customs,

what should people do? In this cases, the person who follow the customs of

the new country would receive the customs without filtering but the person who

keep their own customs would not receive the customs.

In conclusion, I would like to say that you must follow the customs of the

new country when moving to it after consideration. However, if I have the

only 2 options that I can take, I would rather following the customs of new

country than keeping that of old one because it gives me more experiences

and helps me adapt more quickly the country.

• 6 years later...

When people move to a new country, it is like a changing of their own world to a new one with its own rules and customs. Some people don`t take it seriously and continue to live in their own way, not paying attention on social opinion. And some of them just start to follow the customs of the new country. Both decisions have their minuses.

Let`s firstly talk about the first kind of people. If a person moves to a new country, it means he found that at particular life period that place can be a better home for him. So when you change home you should learn to respect both it and its neighbourhood. But now always we can see a lot of people who just hate the people of the country where they are living. People with that kind of thinking will never be able to be real citizens of the country and their children won`t ever be able to find good friends, they will be always feeling themselves as strangers. One simple example - here in Armenia, sometimes people can listen to loud music till late at night, disturbing their neighbours and people mostly take it as normal, so no one complain. But if the same people would try to do the same thing in Europe or in the USA, they for sure will be taken to police.

The second kind of people are those who try to erase their past and their roots, because they think that like that it would be easier for them to find job and friends in the new place. Their children don`t know their mother language, they hardly know who they are, they for sure don`t know the history of their mother land. Simply they assimilate. That thing is very depressful.

So in my opinion we should learn to find the golden midst – being respectful to rules and customs of the country that gave us shelter, but never forget who we are.