Urch Forums

#101 Score 5.5: Some people like doing work by han

cinderellahn

Topic 101

Some people like doing work by hand. Others prefer doing using machines. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

This fast-pace world gives human more and more work to do. However, new technologies give them more options to do those things. You can do things by hand, as our ancestors did, or you can do things using machines. Although machines are more convenient and precise, I myself prefer to do things with my own hands whenever possible. By doing by hand, I can savor the benefits toward my physical and mental health, together with the sweet fruits of labor and hard work.

No one can deny the advantages that machines bring to us. Never before have we done things so easily and precisely. For instance, you have to make a copy of your friend’s notes since you were ill and missed a few classes. Maybe it will take you a whole day or more just to look up and down from your friend’s notebook and write down the things into your own one. You can easily make mistakes, too. It can be a small mistake like dictation, but it can be an important mistake that will lead you to more problems afterward. In this case, using a photocopy machine is the best choice. Sometimes it is even the only choice, as when you have to type your project instead of writing it by hand.

Nevertheless, if I have the possibility to choose, I will not hesitate to do things with my own hands. Nowadays, a vacuum cleaner or a washing machine is present in almost every house. Someone can claim that using these things saves time and strength. In contrary, I prefer to use a broom to clean the house and wash my cloths with detergent. After working out my homework at school, I find myself relax when doing such a thing. Actually, it benefits not only my physical but also my mental health. Machines are preventing us from doing the most simple thing and thus are depleting our health. Doing the gardening together with my siblings will also help cement our family relationship. Finally, the fruits of doing by our own are always sweeter than those of pushing some buttons. I remember spending two weekend days to do a gift for my friend on her birthday. It was not as beautiful as the one I saw in the shop, but my friend and I love it. I was very happy that I did a good thing, the product is simply mine.

To compete in this changing world, you have to know how to use machines and use them effectively. They are definitely part of our life and we benefit many things from them. However, any excessive thing is not good. We should not depend on machines all the time. We control machines, not they control us. Therefore, I like to do things by hand whenever possible. Maybe it is the best way to enjoy ourselves.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kindness in words creates confidence.

Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.

Kindness in giving creates love.

Edited by - cinderellahn on 2002 Aug 05 19:13:28

It is a very long essay. How long did it take you to write it?

Your sentences are nice and fluent, but one thing ... I missed some organization here. Your essay looks like a mixture of wonderful ideas. First of all, I don't think that an example about photocopy machine is so important that you could write about it the whole para. After a sentence 'For instance, you have to make a copy of your friend’s notes since you were ill and missed a few classes.' I knew what you wanted to say. It is a good example but you wrote about it simply too much. Another thing that at the end of the 2nd para there is no general sentence about machines (it could be something like that: in some situations we are forced to use machines).

In fact, your essay would be wonderful even whithout the 2nd para. Look at your 3rd para. It contains three excelent ideas (relax, health and fruits). Write a little bit developed para about each idea and you will get a wonderful and clearly organized essay.

A long essay isn't always better than the short one.

HTH! Renata

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

Some people like doing work by hand. Others prefer doing using machines. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

This fast-pace world gives human more and more work to do. However, new technologies give them more options to do those things. You can do things by hand, as our ancestors did, or you can do things using machines. Although machines are more convenient and precise, I myself prefer to do things with my own hands whenever possible. By doing by hand, I can savor the benefits toward my physical and mental health, together with the sweet fruits of labor and hard work.

No one can deny the advantages that machines bring to us. Never before have we done things so easily and precisely. For instance, you have to make a copy of your friend’s notes since you were ill and missed a few classes. Maybe it will take you a whole day or more just to look up and down from your friend’s notebook and write down the things into your own one. You can easily make mistakes, too. It can be a small mistake like dictation, but it can be an important mistake that will lead you to more problems afterward. In this case, using a photocopy machine is the best choice. Sometimes it is even the only choice, as when you have to type your project instead of writing it by hand.

Nevertheless, if I have the possibility to choose, I will not hesitate to do things with my own hands. Nowadays, a vacuum cleaner or a washing machine is present in almost every house. Someone can claim that using these things saves time and strength. In contrary, I prefer to use a broom to clean the house and wash my cloths with detergent. After working out my homework at school, I find myself relax when doing such a thing. Actually, it benefits not only my physical but also my mental health. Machines are preventing us from doing the most simple thing and thus are depleting our health. Doing the gardening together with my siblings will also help cement our family relationship. Finally, the fruits of doing by our own are always sweeter than those of pushing some buttons. I remember spending two weekend days to do a gift for my friend on her birthday. It was not as beautiful as the one I saw in the shop, but my friend and I love it. I was very happy that I did a good thing, the product is simply mine.

To compete in this changing world, you have to know how to use machines and use them effectively. They are definitely part of our life and we benefit many things from them. However, any excessive thing is not good. We should not depend on machines all the time. We control machines, not they control us. Therefore, I like to do things by hand whenever possible. Maybe it is the best way to enjoy ourselves.

Score: 5.5 [goodjob]

Wow! No doubt about it, Cinderella, you are an excellent writer! I really enjoyed reading this essay. I particularly like the way that you weave together your view and opposing views; I think the result is very effective. (I should point out that there are two schools of thought on opinion essays--one school believes that we should write only what we believe in our essays, the other school believes that we should show both sides. I, as you may have guessed, am of the latter school of thought.)

Renata makes a good point, though--it's kind of risky to talk a lot about the opposing viewpoint lest we run out of time. However, again, I think your essay on the whole is very effective. I especially like your points in the last paragraph, about how doing work by hand is good for you spiritually and emotionally. In fact, I would like to have heard much more about that, but I know you've only got 30"!!

Very nice work, Cinderella! You're doing a great job!! [goodjob]

Erin

Score: 5.5 [goodjob]

Wow! No doubt about it, Cinderella, you are an excellent writer! I really enjoyed reading this essay. I particularly like the way that you weave together your view and opposing views; I think the result is very effective. (I should point out that there are two schools of thought on opinion essays--one school believes that we should write only what we believe in our essays, the other school believes that we should show both sides. I, as you may have guessed, am of the latter school of thought.)

Renata makes a good point, though--it's kind of risky to talk a lot about the opposing viewpoint lest we run out of time. However, again, I think your essay on the whole is very effective. I especially like your points in the last paragraph, about how doing work by hand is good for you spiritually and emotionally. In fact, I would like to have heard much more about that, but I know you've only got 30"!!

Very nice work, Cinderella! You're doing a great job!! [goodjob]

Erin

Has TestMagic helped you a lot?

Please help others as they have helped you.

Thank you, Erin :o

Tomorrow I will finish my 2 preparation months by actually taking the test. This post is such a nice gift to me :), 'cause I'm trying to relax and.....believe in myself.

I will tell you and others more detail later.

Hope everything will be fine :cool:

P.S.: After reading almost all essays on your website, I guess I know your school of thought is the latter one. Of all the essays I have read, I find this way of arguing the most effective, and try to use it in this essay. I am so happy that I have used it well :o. Of course I would be more happy if... this were my actual score :D.

Kindness in words creates confidence.

Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.

Kindness in giving creates love.

Edited by - cinderellahn on 2002 Aug 13 01:16:57

Tomorrow I will finish my 2 preparation months by actually taking the test. This post is such a nice gift to me :), 'cause I'm trying to relax and.....believe in myself.

Good luck! I'll pray for you.

Don't worry - you are really good at English. Your writing skills are awesome (I envy you a little bit... :o) and if I criticize something I do it just to help you. Now I feel quite guilty, because I criticized your essay and Erin found it almost perfect. I feel guilty that I didn't helped you to create self-confidence. I want to say sorry. All my posts are based only on my own opinion. I really liked your previous essays better. That is my opinion and I can't help it. That is why I have my signature, that is why I created new topic 'please say something about my posts'. I want to know if I was wrong. Let me know it.

Anyway, best luck. Get easy questions and a familiar topic. Simply ace the test! Get all 300, because you are worth it.

Renata

• 8 months later...

Hi everybody. Here is my essay. Judge it.

The advent of the modern technology has changed the way people live to a large extent. Almost everything that you own and use was created through technology. Machines do the most part of people’s daily work. Moreover, there are many places where machines perform all kinds of work such as nuclear and dangerous chemical plants. But still there is a space in our life for handy work and machines could not replace it. I will explain my point of view.

To begin with, I appreciate modern technology for making my life easier and more comfortable by using Internet and E-mail, modern kitchen utensils and appliances not to mention about all fast kinds of transportation and modern medical equipment. As a medical worker I can say that without using machines a very complicated and accurate medical tests would not be possible. Moreover, machines made a possible the most operations on human heart and brain. In the past a patient had to stay for two weeks in the hospital after any even minor operation. Today, with all modern equipment, like laser and endoscope, it take a day or two. Thus, I would conclude that it is necessary in many cases to use machines for people’s own good.

On the other hand, some kind of work still should be done by hand because it is the best way to get perfect outcome. For example, during medical examination a doctor in order to get a true picture of a patient condition should exam his patient manually. Only in this way a doctor can feel if his patient skin is hot or cold, dry or wet and if this place is painful or not, if there is any lump or swelling.

Similarly, an artwork like painting, music, dance could be the most valuable if they done by hand. Only live performance can attract an audience. Only paintings in which a painter expresses his feeling and emotions could be considered a true work of art. Of course, people can listen to music by using stereo and get a picture of the seashore by using computer and printer. But they do not have a big value comparing to live art.

To conclude, regarding to the choice of hands or machines, both have a distinct place in the modern world. I do not dare to say that I would prefer using machines to doing something by hand because my choice always will depend on kind of work.

• 1 month later...

Dear Erin,

First of all, I want to thank you for such an useful site. I know it means a lot of effort and hours of work (so I'll try not to take much of your time!)

I wrote this essay in about 30 min, I'm still working on that. Please, would you take a look at it and give your impression?

Thanks again!

“Some people like doing work by hand. Others prefer using machines. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.”

Time: 32’ - Nº of words: 270

In this era of technology, the possibility of performing tasks and duties with machines specially designed is an invaluable tool that must be taken advantage of.

Firstly, time is a important factor, even more nowadays. How much will it take to write a paper by hand, cutting pictures from magazines and searching bibliography only in a library? Fortunately students today count on the computer and internet to perform excellent tasks not only faster, but also more consistent in information and details. And with a good color printer, the results could become extraordinary.

Secondly, value should be taken into account. If we had to choose between two products of similar characteristics, but one is considerably cheaper than the other, which would we choose? It might be argued that a job performed by hand is unique and more valuable because has the personal imprint of the manufacturer. A work by hand, so this argument goes, performed by an artist is unique and irrepetible. This may be true in the case of jewlery or works of art. However, to be unique is not necessarily to be better. And because of the high price, the possibility of being acquired for the general public is undermined. On the other hand, as the work performed will never be the same, the possibility of defects is higher than when a machine is doing the same work over again in a stereotyped manner.

Therefore, progress and evolution had left plenty of technology which must be used. Only in this way a modern society will be satisfied with goods and basic products of good quality and available for everyone.

[dance][tm][dance]

• 4 months later...

Machines are used because they make it easy for people to do work. They are sometimes essential in doing some work that is difficult, if not impossible, to do by hand. I prefer to use machines rather than to do work by hand.

As I briefly mentioned above, we use machines because of the convenience and efficiency they give to us. Machines do not have to take a rest;they need not be fed regularly;even in need of fuel, or electricily, they do not have to move for it, as men do. Then in mass production, for example, it would take far longer to do work by hand than to use machines. Machines are efficient in terms of both time and labour, as well as being convenient.

Additionally, some work cannot be done by hand. Men are creative and, sometimes very eager to realize what they are thinking of. The dream of flying in the sky had long been around, but only in people¡¯s wishes. They tried various ways of achieving it. They too used some devices, too primitive to be called machines, but those were mostly designed by hand: however well thought out, and well devised, they had limitation and were not suitable for doing what they wanted to do. This dream had been finally realized with the advent of a machine called the airplane.

Some work is also very complicated and needs a high degree of sophistication. Without machines, such work would never have been possible to do. Therefore, I prefer using machines to do work rather than by hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Gillote :

I'm new here :),so, I might not good at rating but here is my opinion about your essay :

Your essay is pretty flow and convincing : your statement on the computer gives me new idea.

Also, you worte quite a long essay,Did you finish this in 30 minute??

One more thing, you use many big words,is that your trick to earn more point??

I hope my comment help you keeping a good work!! [goodjob]

The twentieth century is a machine age. Many work which had to be done by hand, have been able to be finished by machines. And a lot of people began to use machines instead of hands to do their work. I, of course, am one of them. I like using machines because we can get much benefit from it.

First of all, using machine, much hard work becomes simply and easily. Washing clothes, for instance, is hard work for me. Yet, if I use a machine, it will become so easy. All of what I have to do is putting the clothes into it and then pressing some buttons. Another example is that: when you read a very useful article in a magazine, and you cannot cut it from the magazine, which do you prefer? Writing down it by hand, or coping it by a copy machine? I certainly prefer the latter because it is easier and faster.

Using machines also can save me a lot of time. If I wash clothes by hand, I must sit down and wash them for a long time, yet using washing machine, I just need several minutes to put clothes in it and press the button, and then I can do any other things.

Finally, using machine, I also can make the work I do more perfect. My handwriting is not very good. Many of my friends find it difficult to recognize the words I write. So when I write to my friends, I prefer using a computer so that my letters are clear and clean. After all, by hand, each letter would be different, yet by machine, each one is perfect.

All in all, using machine can make things easily, save me time and give me a more perfect result. I prefer using machine do my work at any time.

For many people,they prefer to do their work by their hand,but for other people,they will prefer to do their work by the machine,so that who is the best.For the reality,both the hand and the machine are important in fulfilling the work.

On the one hand, some people prefer to use their hand to do their work,the very traditional example is the watch making in Switzerland.In that country,the local people like to make the watch by their hand,and this inclination will provide them the great wisdom and the creation in the watch making,that is uncomparable to the watch making in machine.So that the Swizerland's watch is very famous for their beauty and accuracy.

But on the other hand,in the IT industry,the demanding for the machine is very high.You can not imagine that any one microchip can be made through the hand completely and avoided to use the machine.

The fact is that,both hand and the machine are the inseperable part for the fufillment of one of work.Although the Switzerland man depend their hand to produce the watch mainly,but the machine using is still necessary,some work is so hard and strenous that the common people can not endure at all.That is the forgery,the part-making and so on.At the same time,although the IT technology is so dependable on the machine,the machine still need the human to operate so that the computer programme is the crux in operating the machine,and the computer programme need the intellectual to write.

To sum up,the use of hand and the machine can not be seperated at all,especially in the modern society,only combine these two ways,the work can be finished at the best.

• 2 months later...

Topic #101:

Some people like doing work by hand. Others prefer using machines. Which do

you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

People sometimes talk about mechanical changes of the world. Although some

people dislike the changes, I personally have more preference for mechanical

changes for the speed and correctness. Before I develop my idea, it seems to

be mentioned that the capabilities of machines have limits and there are

still many spheres that machines can not do.

More than anything else, the machines are very fast when it compared with

working by hand. For example, computers have an ability to calculate

as much as 5 millions calculations in just one second. If people try to

do the same thing, it would take his whole life to complete all of the

calculations. Besides this, many heavy machinery helps people build house.

Without this helps, we can not expect the building to be completed in our

life. In this respect, many machines enable people to quickly make it within

the fixed period.

Nextly, processing by machines is correct. They serve the very purpose

without any flaws as programmed. If errors happened, it was caused by human

errors and machines themselves don't have any mistakes because they are just

operated as they are made. It is true that machines can commit a fault by

environment factors like temperature and humidity, but its causes are also

a person. In this manner, using machines enables people to process correcly

many works.

In conclusion, of two options that either working by hand or using machines,

if I have the rooms for choice, I prefer to using machines because it gives

people many benefits: especially, the speed and the correctness of

work-processing. Consequently, people can maximize their work-efficiency

by exploiting many machines with the correct methods.