Urch Forums

How come I cannot edit my post?

spiderman

What is the reason for stopping the edit button? I was sometimes in a hurry to post some information but I found out later that I made a lot of errors such wrong grammar and using inappropriate words. Would it be better if I can edit post in 2-3 days or a week?

I just try to give information honestly and correctly as much as possible. When I have to post in another topic, some people do not read through all the posts so it is possible to get the incorrect information from the incorrect posts.

It is just my opinion. Since most users are not native speakers, it has high possibilities that they make a lot of errors when they post at the first time. Then, some other people memorize the wrong words used from the forum. For example, I haven't heard an American saying " Clear the exam". It is awkward. I guess. I may make a lot of mistakes as well.

Maybe, I am too serious. I am sorry. That's my point of view. :p

Yes, I'm experimenting a bit with the time.

The two problems I've run into in the past are:

• People sometimes come back after a long period and delete all of their posts.
  • People sometimes change their answers to tricky questions when they realize they are wrong.

These are the two main reasons I currently have it set at two hours. I open to suggestions, though.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

How about this .. the editting privilege stops when atleast 2 more people reply to that particular post ?
That's a good idea (or perhaps even one reply), but that option isn't built into the software; I'd have to hack the code for that.

• 6 months later...

What about including the edit button option BUT making sure that the old post remains intact and the new additions/omissions/corrections/remorse/new answers/apologies go after a black line. Something like this:

Old post.

Edited at.... Reason....

New additions:.....................

What about including the edit button option BUT making sure that the old post remains intact and the new additions/omissions/corrections/remorse/new answers/apologies go after a black line. Something like this:

Old post.

Edited at.... Reason....

New additions:.....................

I am afraid this way it makes no sense to edit at all. It would look like: attention, guys, I was stupid here and made a mistake there. If I want to add something new to my opinion, not introduce some corrections, I can just post another reply.

I agree with Erin when he points out that people are tempted to delete or change their posts so that the whole threads become senseless. But what a pity it is not possible to edit until there are no replies! :doh:

That's a good idea (or perhaps even one reply), but that option isn't built into the software; I'd have to hack the code for that.

I prefer for atleast one day. It allows us enough time to recheck our spelling mistakes and other common mistakes we do. Cheers!

I will go with this one....

A day or two can be given for the additions, deletions, corrections whatsoever..

After that OOPS, SORRY! no more fondling with the post..:)

U may add anything with a new post then.....

Thats the way it goes..

Take care

Chill:)

me'll agree.. Though the stop-after-1=2posts idea is also good, but sometimes it so happens that 5-6 posts are posted within a couple of mins & at other times some threads/posts remain unanswered (or Any further posts being posted) for days... Offcourse, every thread will ultimately have ONE LAST post (for some timebeing, though exceptions are there when some old thread are picked up.. but these are 2-3% of total#).

Also, this way (stop-after-1=2posts) the LAST Post, which is Most of the times The CONCLUDING post for the thread, will be allowed to be edited even after 1-2 years (though if another option in the forum soft. is put to restrict Edit option after 2 weeks or after 1-2 replies.. whichever is achieved first.. & this will be real absurd & also will bring in extra work for Erin :D)

After 15-20 hours thingi sounds better to me as well... :)

me'll agree.. Though the stop-after-1=2posts idea is also good, but sometimes it so happens that 5-6 posts are posted within a couple of mins
Hmm, good point! I wasn't taking this into account..
After 15-20 hours thingi sounds better to me as well... :)
24 hrs would sound somewhat more complete ;)

If seriously, as the question becomes too much complicated, I would go with how it is. Sorry for bringing the question up. :o

Yes!! It definitely sounds way too complicated an issue! Sorry for giving stupid advice. ;)

I am afraid this way it makes no sense to edit at all. It would look like: attention, guys, I was stupid here and made a mistake there.

Actually, I do that quite a bit. LOL LOL! :D

• 4 months later...

I have seen many times that after making a post we get to see the reply,quote & edit buttons.But after some time the edit buttons dissapear.

Can the edit button be made permanent so that we could edit our posts permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

From above:

Why the editing buttons do not appear forever:

• People sometimes come back after a long period and delete all of their posts, which usually renders a thread nonsensical.
  • People sometimes change their answers to tricky questions when they realize they are wrong, which can make others confused.

These are the two main reasons I currently have it set at 12 hours. I open to suggestions, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

very good thread so bumped it.

Next gen members may find this useful. (count me in that ;) )

Just set it to two 12 hours; let's see how that works out. :)

Edit: Of course, if anybody needs a post edited for reasons of privacy, please contact me. Be sure to let me know the URL of the post, too.

also,

i if wanted to edit my post

should i pm the admin ?

or

should i report about that post?

• 1 year later...