Urch Forums

Which of these Ag Econ Ph.D. programs to choose?

SSh

Hi all!

I got fully-funded Ph.D. offers from the University of Georgia (Ag and Applied Econ), Virginia Tech (Ag and Applied Econ), and University of Florida (Applied Econ) for Fall 2020. I also applied to Purdue, UIUC and Michigan State but haven't heard from them so far. So out of the three acceptances, which would you recommend me to accept, given my interests in international agricultural development, development economics, and impact evaluation?

Many of you may see these programs as substandard (at least when compared to Berkeley, UMD, Davis, Cornell, etc.), but given what life circumstances I have come through, I would still take these offers as a tremendous achievement.

Some factors in deciding (if they help at all):

- Virginia Tech Ph.D. is STEM, so being an international student, this would be a big factor while deciding.

- Virginia Tech's program seemingly is more "diverse" applied (food, health econ, etc.) compared to the "ag-heavy" applied at other universities, if that makes sense. I think I appreciate the diversity and the flexibility of such "diverse" applied programs.

- From the profiles of current PhD students in these programs, UGA comparatively seems to have a lot of students who did their undergrad in top-ranked Asian universities (Chinese and Korean particularly), hinting the appeal of the program, and the talent in it.

- Among the three universities, I only know the professor I will be working with at Florida. They don't have a tenure yet, but did their Ph.D. at a top 5 Ag Econ department.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

SSh

Edited by SSh

Hi! Thanks for the response! In the last few days I also got accepted at the University of Connecticut and Kansas State University in their ag econ departments with full funding.

So what would you say between Virginia Tech vs Florida vs Georgia vs Kansas State vs Connecticut?