Urch Forums

PhD Profile Evaluation - Fall 2021 (retake GRE?)

chubwagon1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BS Math and Economics at USNews Top-70 Private undergrad and Econ Department

Cumulative GPA: 3.87 out of 4.0

GRE: 167 Q/164 V/5.0 AWA

Math Courses:

Calculus 1-3 (AP, A, A), Linear Algebra (A), Intro to Proofs (B+), Real Analysis (A), Complex Analysis (A), ODE (A-), PDE (B+), Numerical Analysis (A), Math Modeling (A), Math Logic (A), Upper-level Elective (A-), Intro Stats (A)

Econ Courses:

Intro Micro/Macro (A, A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (mathematical track) (A-, A-), Mathematical Economics (A), Econometrics (A), International Economic Theory (A), Game Theory (A), Econ Development (A-), Financial Economics (A), Upper-level Elective (A), Thesis (A)

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Undergraduate Thesis Advisor, top-5 Econ, should be strong

2) Economist I RA'ed for at FRB, top-5 Econ, strongest of the 3, potential co-authorship (in progress)

3) Another Economist I RA'ed for at FRB, top 15-ish(?) non-US Econ PhD, should also be strong

Research Experience:

UG Thesis, 2 years at FRB

Teaching Experience:

None

Work Experience:

Worked for a year doing software development type stuff and now at the FRB

Programming skills:

R, Matlab, Stata, Python

Questions:

I'd preferably like to apply widely in the 5-30 range, targeting Cornell/Duke. Does this seem reasonable given my current profile? One area of improvement is my GRE Q score, but from browsing this forum a 167 might be sufficient/not a cause for concern. I didn't study very much, so I think that a 168+ is very reasonable. Additionally, would grad-level Econ courses (specifically Econometrics)/additional math be beneficial?

Edited by chubwagon1

I don't think retaking the GRE will help you very much. You have an excellent record. What your reference letters say will be much more important than a change in the GRE.

Not sure why you said you'd apply widely in the 5-30 range instead of 1-30 range, unless your letter-writers suggested that.

You asked about taking PhD level courses. Are you applying now for fall 2021 admission? Or are you thinking of waiting a year and taking classes?