Urch Forums

Inquiry about Barcelona GSE MSc Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets

Hello Guys!

I have been accepted into the MSc Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets program of the Barcelona GSE with a partial tuition waiver.

I was wondering whether anyone has been through this program or has any information as to its quality and how rigorous it is?

I have heard that its a solid and strong program but I am keen to get some more advice and information. Its really very difficult judging by just looking at syllabuses.

I eventually love to get into a top 20 PhD program but I dont know how much this could help me.

Thanks.

well i graduated from that program this year..why don't you tell me more about your background and then i can better guide you..I know some kids who got in TSE, Warwick, Arizona. It is a professional program though, most of the kids who enter are trying to get a job in the macro sector after the degree.

Hi, Thanks for your reply - you made me very excited.

Thats why I have thought of doing another Masters. Initially I applied for the MSc Econ but I was rejected and then considered and accepted for my second choice of MSc Macro policy.

However I have heard that the MSc Econ is really a first year PhD program but the MSc Macro policy is a Masters, a bridge between undergrad and PhD.

But could you tell me really what do you think about the content of the program how advanced they are? and also do you have any particular advice for me?

I have been told by the BGSE that I could take additional courses from the MSc Econ program but they said that it could be very difficult as the work load would be impossible - Is that manageable do you think?

Edited by desperatetodoeconomics

Thats why I have thought of doing another Masters. Initially I applied for the MSc Econ but I was rejected and then considered and accepted for my second choice of MSc Macro policy.

However I have heard that the MSc Econ is really a first year PhD program but the MSc Macro policy is a Masters, a bridge between undergrad and PhD.

You've obviously done more research into this however every indication suggests that the MSc Macro Policy is a terminal degree targeting those looking for "immediate employment in government institutions, central banks, investment banks, financial and development agencies, and consulting firms" rather than as a bridge to PhD; it's not entirely clear that such a program would bolster your future PhD application in a significant way.

I was not satisfied with the rigour of my Masters courses at Essex
Would you be willing to elaborate on this - what were your main issues with the program?

every indication suggests that the MSc Macro Policy is a terminal degree targeting those looking for "immediate employment in government institutions, central banks, investment banks, financial and development agencies, and consulting firms" rather than as a bridge to PhD

Exactly; I think those looking for a PhD stepping stone are strongly advised to do the MSc Econ.

Also, keep in mind that BGSE has two campuses - one in downtown Barcelona, the other in the suburbs (or some such). The masters programs are split between then - if your course is not taught in the downtown location (where the econ MSc is, along with the stronger faculty AFAIK) then that would throw more doubt on its ability to get you good LORs or credentials for your next step in academia.

I have spoken with two distinguished Profs from LSE and UCL very recently - both of which are in their admissions committee and they told me that getting a distinction or near to distinction grade in a masters from UPF would give an excellent chance of getting into a top PhD program. As far as I see it many of the courses that are taught in this program are much more advanced that what is taught in the economics masters taught at LSE, UCL, Cambridge. Those latter mentioned masters are also terminal masters programs and their difference with the MSc Econ of UPF according to one of the UPF professors is that the UPF MSc Econ program is really the first year of a PhD program rather than a Masters program which lies between Bachelors and PhD. But if I am wrong please correct me MicroMacro.

As I said my first choice ws to do the MSc Econ program but I was not accepted. But I dont understand why location should be such a problem as long as you interact with the professors inside and outside the classroom for example during their office hours. Besides its true that some of the teachers like Jordi Gali are in the downtown campus but some of them are in the UAB campus where they teach. Coud you explain more icebear?

there's a pretty sharp difference between MSc. Econ and everything else the Barcelona GSE offers. If you take the theory sequences (and possibly math in the first period), the MSc. Econ is comparable to a first year of a Phd. getting strong grades there is a very good signal. the other masters, on the other hand, have a different focus on applied/policy issues. In fact, if you wanted to get a Phd from UPF coming from non-econ gse masters, you would have to enroll in the msc econ first!

Also, taking econ theory courses in the msc econ coming from other masters is in theory feasible (I think) but in practice not so easy. If your program is based in Bellaterra, it would be a logistical nightmare. And competing with econ students who have taken the whole sequence+math would make it hard to excel.....

• Like 1

there's a pretty sharp difference between MSc. Econ and everything else the Barcelona GSE offers. If you take the theory sequences (and possibly math in the first period), the MSc. Econ is comparable to a first year of a Phd. getting strong grades there is a very good signal. the other masters, on the other hand, have a different focus on applied/policy issues. In fact, if you wanted to get a Phd from UPF coming from non-econ gse masters, you would have to enroll in the msc econ first!

Also, taking econ theory courses in the msc econ coming from other masters is in theory feasible (I think) but in practice not so easy. If your program is based in Bellaterra, it would be a logistical nightmare. And competing with econ students who have taken the whole sequence+math would make it hard to excel.....

This is in line with what I was told by several alumni a few months ago when I was considering their admission offer...

One difference, however, is regarding if the courses offered at PhD level. I quote from one alumni that gave me some insight (emphasis added):

"the master's program functions as the first year of the UPF Ph.D. program (if you opt to take the most advanced courses)"

"The actual first-year Ph.D. courses are labeled "Advanced" as in "Advanced Microeconomics," etc. I took those and they were good for the background. I don't think you would get the same broad-based background from [non-advanced courses]"

Not to dispute what's been said, but just to clarify that PhD level courses are available, but not mandatory (and I even think may require permission to take more than one per term?).

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Im not so sure if I understood you correctly. I will graduate with BSc Economics in 2012 and hold an admission offer to BGSE MSc Economics. I will be after intermediate courses in macro/micro and some math-linear algebra, calculus etc.

According to what vanRijn says, shoul I have big problems with completing this programme?