Urch Forums

2013 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

For anyone that submitted to Yale, has your GRE score been received? Mine still says GRE not received even though I order the report back in October and pretty much every other school has received it.

Mine have in Yale.

The applications of UCLA and Harvard don't say anything about my test scores (not even 'not received'), does anyone have anything different?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine have in Yale.

The applications of UCLA and Harvard don't say anything about my test scores (not even 'not received'), does anyone have anything different?

Mind if I ask when you submitted your Yale app? I'm hoping they don't start matching GRE score to applicants till after the electronic app is submitted.

My Harvard app doesn't say anything either, but I applied to another program, not economics.

Is everyone just about done with their "Dec 15" batch of applications? Thoughts? I applied to U Washington, UC Davis, and Michigan.

Just submitted to UNC. So far they are the only one that has asked about criminal background. Their questions were pretty extensive too. Boy, that underage drinking ticket is going to follow me around forever.

Berkeley sent me (and I'm assuming others) their annual post-deadline update email.

752 applications this year, down slightly from 779 last year and up from 730 the previous year.

They're estimating most results by March 1st, and the remainder by March 15 - as they have the last few years. Last year most were actually before that - around the 25th of Feb - with the remainder at that point mostly being admits and waitlists, iirc.

For anyone interested, the following is from the out-of-office (on Friday) auto reply you get right now if you email the MIT econ-admit address:

For Applicants to the PhD Program:

The online application system has been reset to allow submission of applications to the Economics PhD program through Tuesday, December 18.

TOEFL waivers can be granted after submitting the application. Please submit your application now and I will record waivers to the submitted applications.

I submitted now - I'm not taking any chances with the system - but maybe this helps other people struggling with the deadline, I don't know.

Bholly, thanks! I really appreciate this info :)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but wtf is the deal with MIT supplemental materials? You're supposed to have a webpage if you want to subit a writing sample, CV etc?

Depending on what resources are available at your school, I would check with technology services at your institution to see if they offer cheap or free limited web-hosting for students or faculty / staff. You might be able to find a way to put up a pdf or two AND have it on a .edu site... It's available at my school, and many others I believe, though you might need to snuggle up to someone in the technology dept.

As for MIT wanting you to have web hosting, it may just be yet another filter they use to sift through the multitudes of nearly flawless applications they receive. Nonetheless, I'm sure they don't strictly accept only students with websites, as that clearly could lead to income discrimination and/or limit foreign students opportunities.

At any rate, I sure as he** have no real idea what is going on, just offering my two cents. So don't take me too seriously, check it all out yourself.

Depending on what resources are available at your school, I would check with technology services at your institution to see if they offer cheap or free limited web-hosting for students or faculty / staff. You might be able to find a way to put up a pdf or two AND have it on a .edu site... It's available at my school, and many others I believe, though you might need to snuggle up to someone in the technology dept.

As for MIT wanting you to have web hosting, it may just be yet another filter they use to sift through the multitudes of nearly flawless applications they receive. Nonetheless, I'm sure they don't strictly accept only students with websites, as that clearly could lead to income discrimination and/or limit foreign students opportunities.

At any rate, I sure as he** have no real idea what is going on, just offering my two cents. So don't take me too seriously, check it all out yourself.

Thanks, I appreciate all the cents I can get. I'm pretty sure that my uni doesn't offer this kind of service and with the time constraint I'd be unable to utilize it even if it was possible. Anyways, with or without a website I'm most likely rejected :D

Why not just get a Google site?

Alternatively, it is possible (and quite easy) to turn a Dropbox folder into a website.

Yeah that seems like a much better alternative...

I'm pretty sure this is why SAS is still heavily used. Even though there are much better alternatives, I use what I know and have simple access to.

That said, SAS is horrible...

EDIT: ... currently making a google site >:3

I got mine done yesterday (in my time, maybe still today in EST or wherever you all are).

I just uploaded my CV to google drive, made a sharing link, and then put the sharing link through the google URL shortener. It doesn't look overly professional, I suppose, but I'm not sure it's going to make a big enough difference to make it worthwhile putting a website together just to put my CV on.

NWUs application tracker shows my official gre and toefl scores as not received even though I've sent them months ago. Anyone else?

I don't know, but if you just submitted your application, it may take a few days to update that information.