Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

I have another dilemma.

The school that I will probably accept if I don't get off any waitlists is pressuring me to decide by tomorrow. While I know that I technically have to be given until the 15th, I'm afraid that if I don't decide by tomorrow, I will end up angering the people whom I will be working with for the next five years. What should I do?

if i were you i would email the departments i am waitlisted at and tell them the situation. a lot of times it seems they can make decisions faster if need be.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toronto just offered me admission (arg, so late).

I already accepted Queen's, what should I do ?

*Panic*

Congrats!! I have no idea about what is the appropriate way to say no to a school you have already accepted. However, I think Queens is a really good option.

I have another dilemma.

The school that I will probably accept if I don't get off any waitlists is pressuring me to decide by tomorrow. While I know that I technically have to be given until the 15th, I'm afraid that if I don't decide by tomorrow, I will end up angering the people whom I will be working with for the next five years. What should I do?

I would hold off deciding. They'd probably only end up annoyed if you end up not accepting at the last minute (and it's too late for them to offer your spot to another admit), but be happy if you end up attending. But in the case of declining you wouldn't be working with these professors anyway.

My guess is that any professors who are briefly annoyed about the timing of your acceptance will forget about it and start thinking about other things soon enough, while you have to live with your decision for many years. I would guess that the program has had other applicants take until the deadline to decide in the past, and once the class is finalized, the professors will move on to thinking about other things like preparing for the upcoming year (rather tan holding grudges on those who took longer).

Edited by PhDPlease

*Panic*

https://www.cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution seems to say that acceptances before April 15 are not binding but it doesn't list Queens as participating in this agreement so might not be relevant to you. I think if you want to go to Toronto, you should contact Queens immediately and apologize and ask to be released from the offer. This is probably very uncomfortable but they'd probably in the long run rather have a student who is happy to be there than someone who felt forced and regretful... but I would do this ASAP (if you have decided you definitely prefer Toronto).

Two-body problems are really tough.

I'm basically dealing with one now: my husband isn't a student, but for very complicated reasons, moving to certain cities would work well for him, while others wouldn't. I will likely end up having to make the decision based on that, which is something that I have been trying really hard not to do. I have worked really hard throughout the last several years to make sure that no family-related concerns would ever interfere with my education or research, because I don't want to be one of those stereotypical women who fails at research due to prioritizing family. Therefore, to be honest, letting the location be a deciding factor in my decision makes me feel like a failure.

Yea.. completely understand. I didn't apply to a few middle-of-nowhere places that I knew clearly wouldn't work even though they might have been a good fit for me, because I didn't want to end up in that position. IMO it is important to go to a good program but being unhappy/lonely or frequently flying across the country to visit a spouse can also have a negative impact on one's studying/research.

if i were you i would email the departments i am waitlisted at and tell them the situation. a lot of times it seems they can make decisions faster if need be.

I tried that already, and even made a phone call. All I got was "We understand, and will let you know by April 15th"

Two-body problems are really tough.

I'm basically dealing with one now: my husband isn't a student, but for very complicated reasons, moving to certain cities would work well for him, while others wouldn't. I will likely end up having to make the decision based on that, which is something that I have been trying really hard not to do. I have worked really hard throughout the last several years to make sure that no family-related concerns would ever interfere with my education or research, because I don't want to be one of those stereotypical women who fails at research due to prioritizing family. Therefore, to be honest, letting the location be a deciding factor in my decision makes me feel like a failure.

I would strongly object to the idea that anyone should feel like a failure for considering the needs of their family in conjunction with their academic goals. We have already established that you are a decent bit older than the average first year grad student. Having a life and family is a blessing and a responsibility at the same time and for those of us who waited "too long" to figure out what we really want to do, them's the breaks. I was SEVERELY constrained by my family situation (hence only applying to 5 schools when even two of those would likely be a no go even if admitted). Contra standard (though rapidly changing) gender roles, my wife out earns me currently so it was just a nod to reality to weight her critical ability to earn a certain income rather heavily. We spent some time considering one option for a move that was actually probably a best case moving scenario on numerous dimensions and it still involved so much potential stress if everything didn't work out just right that it was abandoned by me ultimately so as not to put undue pressure on my spouse. The potential effects of going into what may be the hardest thing you will ever attempt with a large potential family-related stress load based on issues related to moving across the county in a few months should definitely be in the priors about likely outcomes along with school rankings, faculty strengths, etc. etc. Washing out of your dream program when your spouse comes up empty on a job search or any number of other such scenarios is really a much worse outcome than attending your third most preferred institution IMO.

Hmmm....rant-y but I really don't think you should feel bad about these things.

Hey, what does it mean when Brits say "Scholarship will be of a value of £6,500 payable towards your fees."? Are they decreasing my fees by 6500 or covering my total fees and giving me 6500 on top of that?
They 'payable towards your fees' part sounds they're decreasing your fees by GBP 6500. Basically, you'll never see the money yourself.

*Panic*

You should explain the situation and go to Toronto. You only live once, don't let your word become more important than that! It's not even your fault.

I would strongly object to the idea that anyone should feel like a failure for considering the needs of their family in conjunction with their academic goals. We have already established that you are a decent bit older than the average first year grad student. Having a life and family is a blessing and a responsibility at the same time and for those of us who waited "too long" to figure out what we really want to do, them's the breaks. I was SEVERELY constrained by my family situation (hence only applying to 5 schools when even two of those would likely be a no go even if admitted). Contra standard (though rapidly changing) gender roles, my wife out earns me currently so it was just a nod to reality to weight her critical ability to earn a certain income rather heavily. We spent some time considering one option for a move that was actually probably a best case moving scenario on numerous dimensions and it still involved so much potential stress if everything didn't work out just right that it was abandoned by me ultimately so as not to put undue pressure on my spouse. The potential effects of going into what may be the hardest thing you will ever attempt with a large potential family-related stress load based on issues related to moving across the county in a few months should definitely be in the priors about likely outcomes along with school rankings, faculty strengths, etc. etc. Washing out of your dream program when your spouse comes up empty on a job search or any number of other such scenarios is really a much worse outcome than attending your third most preferred institution IMO.

Hmmm....rant-y but I really don't think you should feel bad about these things.

Good to see there's still someone with a sense of reality on this board. The previous post was one of the most depressing things I've ever read.

Good to see there's still someone with a sense of reality on this board. The previous post was one of the most depressing things I've ever read.

Sorry.

This is a really stressful time for everyone, and the last thing that I want is to make anyone else depressed. It is just that after all of the work that I have put into this, it is really hard to have to imagine making a decision like this with location in mind. And my situation is far more complicated than average.

The reality is that the program that I am probably going to select probably is a good choice. They have recently made major changes in the program, and it may well end up being a better option anyway.

They 'payable towards your fees' part sounds they're decreasing your fees by GBP 6500. Basically, you'll never see the money yourself.

Thanks a lot for your help moneyandcredit. Then it doesn't really make much difference at the moment, but since I'm still subject for some additional funding, it's a good start :)

I'm a little confused.

I never received an email from Michigan State, and when I contacted them regarding my status, they replied that all of the first round offers had been sent out. Given that I would be unlikely to attend if admitted, I went to the website to withdraw the application so that they might let someone else in off the waitlist. However, when I went to do so, I got the following message:

By canceling your admission to Michigan State University, you forfeit your space in the Fall 2014 class.

Are you sure you want to cancel your admission to MSU?

Now I'm really confused. What admission?

I have made my final decision, and I'm going to be attending Rice.

After thinking about a little more, I realized that I'm not just making the decision for location. I have spent a long time talking to Dr. Merlo (Rice's new chair), and I honestly feel that Rice is the best option for me regardless of location. It seems like the department will improve considerably over time, and my research interests fit really well with the direction that the department is taking. I really think that it will be a perfect fit for me.

Thank you everyone for all of your help and support throughout the process.