Urch Forums

Maryland vs Minnesota

I have been accepted both in Maryland (21k) and Minnesota (23k), and I do not know what to choose.

I know Minnesota is great in Macro, but even though I used to like Macro I like it less and less every day. So, nowadays I think I do not want to focus on Macro for my research, and neither I want to focus in empirical IO which is the other strength of Minnesota. I am more interested now in applied micro and issues of Development and Political Econ. Because of these reasons now I am leaning towards Maryland rather than Minnesota. Also in terms of location I prefer the weather of Washington DC than the one of Twin Cities. However I am afraid of taking that path, since in terms of placement Minnesota is far better than Maryland. Am I crazy if I choose Maryland over Minnesota?

Please share your opinions.

Hi there~

Frankly I don't see anything crazy at all in your points. Minnesota does have better placements, especially in macro or IO. But given your interested field, I think you should pay more attention on their placements in development or political econ. Maybe Maryland is better than Minnesota from this angle (I didn't check the data though). As far as I know, DC is really a good place for political studies.

Also I believe the professors who share the same interests with you should be considered in your decision. Of course Minnesota has a bigger name than Maryland, but if there is a professor in maryland who's leading in your interested fields and his/her students have placed in your favorite institutions, it makes so much sense you choose maryland over minnesota. And You can have more information from professors with the same interests in their open houses. Anyway it's all about your own interests and future plan.

Another thing to consider when deciding between schools is the kind of jobs that you want to end up with, even though, admittedly, it's still a ways to go. If you are aiming for industry placements, then placement-wise, both schools are comparable. Minnesota only places markedly better if you're gunning for an academic placement.

That being said, Minnesota only has 2 people doing public econ, but no one doing micro development. They have 2 people doing macro development, if that is your thing (which I suspect isn't the case since you mentioned an interest in applied micro). If you look at Maryland, in terms of faculty-wise, they a lot more faculty members working in your field of interest, so it might be easier to find a compatible match.

I have been accepted both in Maryland (21k) and Minnesota (23k), and I do not know what to choose.

I know Minnesota is great in Macro, but even though I used to like Macro I like it less and less every day. So, nowadays I think I do not want to focus on Macro for my research, and neither I want to focus in empirical IO which is the other strength of Minnesota. I am more interested now in applied micro and issues of Development and Political Econ. Because of these reasons now I am leaning towards Maryland rather than Minnesota. Also in terms of location I prefer the weather of Washington DC than the one of Twin Cities. However I am afraid of taking that path, since in terms of placement Minnesota is far better than Maryland. Am I crazy if I choose Maryland over Minnesota?

Please share your opinions.

Hi, may I ask if you attended the campus visit to Maryland? I was not able to attend and would be grateful for your thoughts on the student-faculty interaction and other aspects of the department. Many thanks in advance!