Urch Forums

Fall 2021 Profile Evaluation

Dazedprospect

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 30 US News

Cumulative GPA: 3.45/4

GRE: 160Q/160V/5AWA. My power went out during the at-home exam which definitely dipped my Q score. I will retake at end of october, should easily get 165+ Q.

Math Courses: Calculus I (3.5), Calculus II (4.0), Multivariable Calculus (4.0), Intro to Proofs (4.0), Real Analysis (4.0), Linear Algebra (Spring 2021), Abstract Algebra (Spring 2021), PhD-level Statistics/Econometrics (4.0)

Econ Courses:

Intro Micro (4.0), Intro Macro (4.0), Intermediate Micro (3.5), Intermediate Macro (3.0), Advanced Micro (Game Theory, 4.0), Economics of Sports (4.0), International Trade (4.0), Economic Analysis of Asia (4.0), Labor Economics (4.0), Introductory Econometrics (4.0), Advanced Econometrics (4.0), Research Seminar (4.0)

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Professor from research writing course. RA'd for him and received highest score on final paper in the class. Letter will be strong. Graduated from a top 10.

2) Professor from advanced metrics course. Graduated from top 5. Will be a strong letter based on our interactions.

3) Intro metrics professor. Graduated from T15 and also my #1 choice, coincidentally. Should be a good letter, but perhaps not as strong as the other two.

Research Experience:

Four months with research seminar prof. Was supposed to continue throughout this school year but had funding issue due to covid :(

Teaching Experience:

TA Introductory Macro (Fall 2020), TA Introductory Micro (Spring 2021), Tutor for Intro Micro, Intro Metrics

Programming skills:

Stata

Other:

Some things to consider:

a) Will the timing of the linear algebra course impact admissions? Since I will be taking it the semester admission decisions are made and it is a key course. I've already taught myself most of the class since it was used in the PhD stats/metrics course.

b) I struggled substantially my freshman year - was put on academic probation. I have some very bad grades on my transcript (hence the low CGPA) from early on, such as a 0 in an unrelated course, a 2.5 in Business Calc, and a 2.5 in Business stats. Will this hold me back?

Thank you!

I think if the lower grades are all from the first year it won’t count too much against you since there are mostly As in later relevant courses. I don’t think the linear algebra timing will be that bad either because you aced more challenging math classes beforehand.