Urch Forums

How to improve the reading score

knok

i totally agree with odyssey here

i can't believe Eureka or whatever the hell you are (sorry for my language)

can say that you're not supposed to read the passages

are u on crack or something?

i mean seriously, why would the SAT ppl even put the passages in there? just to take up some space? how would u answer the questions by skimming? HOW?

i just can't understand your logic or pitiful attempt to persuade people into thinking your retarded ideas are true!

sorry to burst your bubble, Eureka (i've found it), but you're idea is just terrible and a horrible way to approach this test.

although it might work for you, mr. genius, it DOES NOT WORK for everybody else. thank you and happy testing. :yuck:

• 2 weeks later...
what ever u guys do dont waste money on prep classes unless u are really rich and dont give a damn about money!! just get prep books. reading them is the same as "private" tutoring in my opinion. I already wastes so much money on prep classes that didnt help me at all

• 2 weeks later...
You should definitely start with prep books since the SAT prep courses are teaching mostly what you'd find in the company's prep book; however, if you've gone through all of your books and still haven't improved to the score that you want, prep courses might provide you with some necessary guidance...and discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it does. I went to classes and they all teach yo the quickest, yet non understading way of geting the problem right. There is a method that can work for all the problems, but they dont teach that. They just take each problem as a new math that has never been attemped before and do it for you with plugging in all the time or using nonsense methods that I will not get. I like to use my own ways, sometimes draw stuff, or work out formulas, you know proportions and stuff. But Ithink if you get a private tutor it should help more. Because I can sit here with all my books and keep doing the problems the way I do em, and not know if they are correct or not, or if my method is right. Then I have to look at the answer and that is the part I hate, because I never understand how they got that.

Which Vocabulary book do you recommend for new SAT? :rolleyes: I mean a set of words appears on new SAT not old SAT.

Which book is good for writing (grammar- multiple choice)? My son got only 50 something score on grammar. How does he improve to 70? :)

Thank you.

Knok

For Vocabulary I have this flashcard flip book from KAPLAN, its an orange one. I remeber a few words just from the A's through B's that were on the SAT. I like it because it is easy to learn the words. As for grammar, I just practice with the college boards big blue new SAT book. It has some grammar in there, most multiple choice, I also use the The Princeton review NEW SAT book, you can just go through the tests there and do only the writing parts for improving. Also, if you write a lot it helps. Have him correct broken english fragments and sentences. Thats how I got so good at it, I got a 63 or grammar on one practice test I took. My parents often dont proper english all the time because they are not from U.S. so I correct it myself all the time. It depends on the test too, seomtimes the grammar will be the easiest part each time you take the SAT, but other times, it can get tricky.

• 5 months later...

I had some spare time this morning and finally got to skim through some posts. I found this topic of special interest as I also instruct students for these exams. I totally agree about the skimming possibilities for TOEFL and also that the other exams do not lend themselves to this method in any way.

Our organization works with international students. English is a second language for our students and the reading passages are just so hard in terms of time. I present all possible strategies known to me in class and assist the group in practicing the methods and trying to find what works for them. Time is such a giant issue for our kids - we get into the best use of their resources and so on. I would be interested in any one's feedback on this. Also we are always actively looking for US partners in exam prep that we can work with here. I am under the impression that some of you have materials available and I would like to know more about what could be provided to our organization. I am not happy with the mainstream materials - we are always looking. I have nothing to market on this forum, but I am shopping! I hope this is not inappropriate. I can be e-mailed at office@iacbg.org if anyone would be interested in working on program development overseas.