Urch Forums

UFL, cise

rahul05i

Hello,

Can anyone give me info abt the CISE dept at UFl, pls?

The Phd program is for 4yrs, right? Is it possible to discontinue it and "log off" after an MS in 2yrs? What would be the consequences of such an action?

How well does a phd degree frm UFL empower one to get a good job(into the CS majors) or a good research post?

PLease reply asap,

rahul//

--------------------

------------------------------

In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity - Albert Einstein :tup:

Spread the love of

Google: most answers are out there

Hi Rahul,

Well I came to know that one gets MS degree after passing the PhD qualifying examination and thus I think one must be able to "logoff" after just MS even when he is enrolled for PhD.

I have offer in CE (comp engineering) dept and thus am not the right person to comment on prospects of CS doctorate because these two fields are substantially different in terms of rankings etc. But speaking generally about CISE I would say that being the biggest and the best university in Florida region (which is very very rich 'cause of industries) prospoects are good to very good. I read somewhere thar gainesville is third city in US to have maximum technical job per capita. I would say that UFL is counted about the Class A US universities but with in that group it is in the bottom half. For me the attraction is the opportunity to work with some big shots in my field of interest, I hope you find a similar link for yourself.

Hi Rahul,

Well I came to know that one gets MS degree after passing the PhD qualifying examination and thus I think one must be able to "logoff" after just MS even when he is enrolled for PhD.

I have offer in CE (comp engineering) dept and thus am not the right person to comment on prospects of CS doctorate because these two fields are substantially different in terms of rankings etc. But speaking generally about CISE I would say that being the biggest and the best university in Florida region (which is very very rich 'cause of industries) prospoects are good to very good. I read somewhere thar gainesville is third city in US to have maximum technical job per capita. I would say that UFL is counted about the Class A US universities but with in that group it is in the bottom half. For me the attraction is the opportunity to work with some big shots in my field of interest, I hope you find a similar link for yourself.

Ritwik : I guess you and rahul are in the same dept. there is no CE dept. we have 2 departments one CISE and other is ECE (Electrical and Computer engineering)

Hey pankaj ... nice to hear form you.

well i beg to differ because I have been admitted to computer engineering program and know of two people who have been admitted to computer science prog Some people in CS got admit from college of liberal arts and sciences while all CE people got admitted under college of engineering. Also accroding to USnews for example, ranking of UFL differes in CE and CS so they are different indeed. I think my use of word dept in place of more appropriate program got you confused but then USnews uses dept. in place of program so i guess i was not completely wrong.

Hello all,

CS and CE are same in terms of courses, faculty, facilities, etc....The only difference is the name stamp of College of Engineering on the degree you receive. CS is offered through college of liberal arts and science while CE is offered through College of Engineering. Though they both share the same CISE department and faculty. So, both courses are offered in CISE department but through different colleges. Above all, most of the CS students at UFL switch to CE without any problems. I was also admitted in CS for fall-2005, recently i have switched to CE to get tuition waiver (Achievement Award) and I managed to get it.

As far as job prospects are concerned, UFL is pretty good in that. As per seniors, from the last batch of MS (CS/CE), 18 were hired in microsoft, some in amazon and almost all got hired in different companies.

Hope this helps.

Dileep

Hello all,

CS and CE are same in terms of courses, faculty, facilities, etc....The only difference is the name stamp of College of Engineering on the degree you receive. CS is offered through college of liberal arts and science while CE is offered through College of Engineering. Though they both share the same CISE department and faculty. So, both courses are offered in CISE department but through different colleges. Above all, most of the CS students at UFL switch to CE without any problems. I was also admitted in CS for fall-2005, recently i have switched to CE to get tuition waiver (Achievement Award) and I managed to get it.

As far as job prospects are concerned, UFL is pretty good in that. As per seniors, from the last batch of MS (CS/CE), 18 were hired in microsoft, some in amazon and almost all got hired in different companies.

Hope this helps.

Dileep

yup almost every one got the job at UF ...gator rocks.

but in MS i guess not more than 10.

-Pankaj