Urch Forums

Do NOT violate copyright!

Erin

I have noticed a number of threads lately where people are either posting links to illegal copies of test prep software and books, or who are asking for it to be emailed to them. But these threads aren't being deleted. Erin, are the forums still being monitored? It seems like it's always been a problem and hasn't improved.

Interesting about the bots. I didn't know they could do that. Or would.

Bottom line is, we don't want any members or the TM Forum get in trouble because of copyright materials.
BTW, the case mentioned in the original post was due to an alleged breach of ETS's confidentiality agreement rather than a breach of copyright law per se.

ETS does have an Office of Testing Integrity, which, among other things, is responsible for ensuring that test content is not disclosed before, during, or after the exam. (They are also responsible for issues regarding inadequate identification, etc.)

I would have neve gotten myself in this mess. One has to say It wasn't me. That should settle everything straight. I can always come up with the username Erin and then who gets screwed. C'mon guys..... We have seen enough of these on the WWW
You're right. No one can deny that. But many people still don't practice safe Internetting (see my thread about the mailfreepostcards virus that some of our users have).

And I think most people would panic if they got a threatening call from ETS when they're in the middle of applications and are waiting for the results to come out.

BTW, to put things in perspective, the Office of Testing Integrity just canceled the scores of 900 SAT tests administered in South Korea, and it seems it was a rational decision to do so even though many innocent students are now being significantly inconvenienced:

The Educational Testing Service has canceled the SAT scores of about 900 South Korean students who took the test in January, The Korea Times reported.

The testing service said that some test-preparation companies in South Korea had provided portions of the actual examination to students in advance of its administration. Because the service could not determine how many students had seen the tests, all scores have been nullified. Students who took the January 27 administration of the exam will be allowed to retake the test free.

http://chronicle.com/news/article/1792/ets-cancels-900-sat-scores-in-south-korea-after-security-breach

• 2 months later...

Suggestion:

Why don't we include a 'REPORT AS BOGUS' or 'COPYRIGHT VIOLATION' link against each post. Members of testmagic can mark a post as bogus if it infringes upon the IP rights of ETS. We can maintain a counter in a database for the number of hits on the linkks for a particular post. eg. if the counter for a particular post exceeds 1000, then the post is reported to the moderators who can inturn take appropriate action.

• 5 months later...

A bit of an update here.

I have been told that a certain GMAT-preparation website (Scoretop) is currently being sued by GMAC. I don't have confirmation that this is true, but the information does seem credible.

See these links:

I understand that GMAC is considering banning users of Scoretop from taking the GMAT and advising business schools that these users had access to copyrighted material.

Even if you're not a member of this site, you should be aware of this possible situation and would could happen to you if you violate copyright.

Copyright is becoming a bigger issue with test companies, and as the companies have to create more questions and increase security, the cost of the test rises.

Remember, as I've said in this thread, I have heard firsthand reports from members that they've been contacted by ETS (or other companies) about their posts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Come on! To get a real name from a poster, detectives may have to hack the system to get an IP address from the site in case that the owner of the site does not disclose the IP addresses of the users.

It is illegal again to hack the computer system. Remember that all eletronic files or internet system is traceable. Usually, any forum discloses IP addresses. Therefore, it is easy to trace by using IP addresses to tell who you are and where you log on.

So there are freeware to login to forum using poxy. Tor or Jap are examples of good ones. JUst google it and u will get the freeware and not to have to worry about being traced by your IP address.

By the way, the only way your IP address can be traced is the site administrator releases the info. In any how, u got help. Not need to buy the commercial software. These 2 freewares are excellent to keep you surfing annoymously.

• 3 months later...
I don't know the answer to that question. I would imagine that if it really came down to it, it would depend on how much of the question you posted. I actually asked that question of a GMAC lawyer, but did not receive a reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey Erin! :)

u have no idea how much this thread is important to all users in this forum.

to be honest, i've never thought that ETS were serious about keeping the confidentiality of the questions appeared in the test and all that about copyright violating issue. i thought that they were kidding.:doh:

i was about to send a word that appeared in my actual GRE test in the antonym section and which i was unable to answer on the test day. :mad: at the last moment i decided not to post it but i really wanted to help other test takers.:(

thank God i didn't post it :wacko:and guess what my username is the same as my e-mail address. :D

hope that all users of Test Magic Forum pay attention to this thread and obey the rules of not violating the copyrights.

thanks again Erin for informing us about this important issue

see u soon

According to the complaint, one of the benefits of VIP membership marketed on the scoretop site was access to question sets dubbed “JJs.” JJ is an acronym for “jungle juice” or jijings.” Along with MJJs (math questions) and VJJs (verbal questions) these question sets are “actual GMAT questions that have been recontructed and reproduced on the Scoretop website.

• 2 weeks later...