Urch Forums

I am going to sue ETS

Sick and Tired of iBT

I am surprised

Following could be the possiblities

I think most of the people do not know about BBB

OR

They want to keep on suffering.They dont want to take an initiative to solve the problem

OR

Once they are out of the problem they really dont care to make it better for people who are going to face the same problem

Hello everybody,

I took the test twice. Second time I got 97. It is enough for my undergraduate program. However, I was frustrated first time, because our class was very noisy. Surprisingly, second time I got five reading sections instead of three. My eyes were very tired and I had a huge headache after the test.

Now I am facing another problem with ETS. It takes too long (three to four weeks) to get your paper results. I have a deadline soon and I am afraid to miss an opportunity to go to the university this January. The representative from ETS suggested to order an extra score and I paid 17 dollars. Anyway, it will take three weeks to get my results. So, what is the point to pay this money? The problem is my university accepts only official paper scores. Hopefully, these scores will come on time :)

ETS makes a lot of money and I wish they had better conditions for their customers.

• 3 months later...
I am going to sue ETS and I'm looking for at least 10 people in the same situation with mine located in Los Angeles area.

Hi easy,

I know how you feel;however, I don't think that suing ETS is the answer. I was also thinking about that before because I also blame ETS but the truth is ETS is just an organization that provides examination. As you stated in your other post you said you are a pharmacist. What you and other pharmacist should do is that make your professional organization (NABP) evaluate or make a study about the exam (toefl) and see if they are really valid and reliable in assessing Pharmacist English proficiency. If not then they need to have an alternative examination to assess the English proficiency.

1. So get some other Pharmacist (those who haven't pass toefl and most especially those who are did passed but think that toefl ibt is not a valid exam) to write your professional organization about what you feel.

2. Those who did passed the toefl ibt and now part of the association can now help by doing a study about the reliability and validity of the exam. They are part of the association now so they can help the association change for the better.

3. post a petition online PetitionOnline.com - Petition Submission Form and let people sign the petition then submit it to the government (your association, mayor, governor, congressman senator or even to President Obama) so that your voice will be heard.

The problem here is that we complain but when we are done(got our required score) with the exam we forgot that we felt the exam was unfair and don't even bother doing something about it.

So what I am saying is that if you really want to see any change... don't just get people who can't get 26 on the exam but also those who got their required score, native speaker of English, and other professionals but feels there should be a change because the exam is not reliable measure of ones English language proficiency.

THE rEAL PROBLEM IS THE PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS>> who think TOEFL IS a good way to measures ones ENGLISH language proficiency

I am not complaining about NABP requirements, my only complaint is against ETS, this so called "non profit" organization. I believe my answers were perfect and I deserved 26 AT LEAST!!!! by listening to some official sample answers of some other students that are made public. I believe only in court they can actually give you a proper re scoring and I will sue them regardless of my next results. If this guinea pig could go take this exam so many times during the last 3 years, I think it can play their game and go to court. That's why I am looking for other people in a similar situation, who think their answers were good and they deserved at least 26. Please send me a private message!

One of the teachers at our school, native speaking teaching ESL and TOEFL for 6 years, will take the TOEFL on May, she never took and wants to see what it is like to experience it. It will be interesting to see her scores, especially on Speaking and Writing!!! I will update you.

Tino

hi guys, I am getting worried reading these incidents. I am taking the test on Saturday in Long Island, NY which is not a prometric test center. Is it true that there facilities are not up to the mark and I could face some distracting atmosphere? Any external noise during listening can cause a serious strain in my attention and thereby will lower by grade. What's going on with ETS?

Easy,

Like I said in my previous post : I don't think suing ETS is really the answer and they are not at fault. They did not force NABP to use them as the test for English proficiency. NABP and other professional organizations have a choice of other testing institutions but they choose ETS. Like you, I can also tell you that I think I can communicate with people from USA because I lived there for 2 years and have been living in Canada for 11 yrs. I even attended university here in Canada and been communicating with professionals.

I really don't know how raters from ETS score our recordings( people and even ETS states the raters uses the rubrics for scoring) but what I know is it is very subjective . That's the reason why sometimes we see that some test takers who requested re scoring see their score jump 1-4 scores... 4 scores jump is really high but why does it happen???... again the answer is because the raters don't have consistency, it is a subjective scoring ... Like one post here in URCH that stated that there are 6 raters in the speaking section. Which means 3 can give you 4 as a score however if the other 3 will give you 2.5 then you can't reach that magic 26.

ETS don't even tell us which score is passing and which one is not so they have washed their hands by making individual institutions provide their own required score. If we look at ETS research report TOEFL® Test and Score Data Summary for TOEFL Internet-based ETS Research: Policy Research Reports

we can see that the average score of the All Examinees Classified by Native Language is ENGLISH = 24; All Examinees Classified by Geographic Region and Native Country United States = 22... so looking at this report we can conclude that even people whose native language is English and native country is USA that their average scores are 24 and 22 respectively. This makes me wonder why does some institutions require 26 as a score when the people whose native language is English have a lower average.

Another reason why I don't think suing ETS will solve the problem is people that complains are only those who have not gotten their required score. Most people just shut up and don't complain anymore when they receive their required score. NABP and other institutions should look at the ETS reports and make changes with their requirement accordingly or maybe find an alternative institution to conduct English proficiency testing.

Tino,

It is good idea that the teachers take the toefl too... This will give them a more personal experience and they will be more informed and they can share/teach students better.

to GRE2010,

what I can say is PRometric test centers are more strict... Distractions are the same weather you take your exam in a prometric or non prometric test centers. In my personal experience non prometric test centers are better because they are not so robotic or by the book. Don't worry too much about the test centers always expect that the test centers will be noisy during the listening, speaking and maybe in writing section.

Goodluck on your exam.

This makes me wonder why does some institutions require 26 as a score when the people whose native language is English have a lower average.
Because the average in the US is well below the quality of someone we'd want to be a medical care provider and the idiosyncratic differences in language tend to be regionalized, thus lending to improper english that is well attuned to communicating with a particular group that has a similar dialectical pattern in their own speech.

• 4 weeks later...