Urch Forums

Johns Hopkins

Dannyb19

Wow.

And I was not impressed with the way they handled applications. Remember we got several emails about how they couldn't verify if we had completed applications yet- "don't call until after Jan xxth" ok just kidding don't call until after Jan xxth + 14 or something like that. And responding to emails took weeks instead of days. I understand many people applied, but many applied to other schools who handled it much more efficiently. And I once got a rather short and what I thought was rude response to an email that wasn't even signed by anyone (and came from a generic econ@jhu.edu).

Ok, sorry for the rant, but after all of that to do this to some applicants is horrible. I hope you all got in!

I got the same offer/rescindment. I think the appropriate response is for everyone to accept the offer if it is made and then send them an e-mail on April 14th (the last day before binding decisions):

"Please disregard the decision to attend that was sent you in error due to

a computer glitch. Your corrected decision will follow shortly.

Sorry for any inconvineance

Thank you,

The Prospective Student"

Just got my "real" letter from Hopkins. Tuition in year 1 plus tuition and $14,000 years 2-4 (and funding nearly guaranteed in year five if necessary). Really wish I could keep my first "fake" letter, though. I wonder if they redistribute fellowships? Anyway, you guys think Hopkins is better than UVA if I want to stay in academia, not go into policy?

Thanks Butler. No apology with the letter, just an email entitled "Your correct decision letter from JHU-Economics Dept." But, if it comes down to a choice between them and Virginia, I guess i will be matriculating to JHU, so from their end no harm no foul. Anybody else hear from them yet?

I got my revised offer: $14k TA/fellowship in years 1-4 assuming normal progress.

This reminds me of something that happened last year with Berkeley Law School (Boalt Hall). They accidently sent all 10,000 of their applicants an e-mail congratulating them on their admission and inviting them to an admitted students event. Hidden in the fourth paragraph was a reference to the fact that the admitted students event was to improve campus diversity, which made some people suspicious. But plenty of folks had called their parents, relatives, professors, and gone out for celebratory dinners before learning of the mistake.

I also eventually got the "correct decision letter from JHU-Economics Dept", but shortly before this (like 15 minutes), I (again) got the admission letter from another girl (this time with her name, that from yesterday with the named fellowship was with my name) who apparently received the same offer as I did..

So my third decision letter was finally the correct one[clap]

In an e-mail exchange, Julia Ross finally apologized saying that they were using a new system this year..:wacko:

I'm 90% likely to attend Maryland. They offered me a larger fellowship and no responsibilities for the first year. I think I would be happy at either place though. My other options were unfunded (UCSD, Wisconsin), and I'm on the Penn waitlist.

Fundamentally I'm ok with the idea of having only a tuition waiver for the first year and paying for my own living expenses, but UCSD and Wisconsin would also be charging me tuition. In a very real way I would think that every tuition dollar I'm paying them is going into the pocket of the kid next to me who happened to get a fellowship. I can't live with that.

I also received "Your correct decision letter from JHU-Economics Dept." and the original offer was great $16K but now I was offered 80% tuition waiver only with the possiblity of TA from yr 2-4 for $14K, Quite Shocked. I never received email warning about the glitch.

Extremely happy yesterday with both offers from JHU and Georgetown. Now, only to find out half of the world is up-side down and I hope this won't happen to the Georgetown offer with full funding for 5 yrs. This is gonna make things extrememly interesting for me btw JHU and Georgetown??? Please, anybody got any suggestions??? My research interest is in development, inter econ and finance n I think Georgetown is a better fit but JHU ranks better. I plan to visit both schools n may be JHU first then drive to DC.

Hey "inconvenience" was spelt wrongly.

And no adult uses the word "spelt." So I guess it all balances out...

"Spelt" defined:

1. The 14-21 year old version of spelling the past tense of spelled, a show of degredation in society's use of the mind.

2. A type of grain.

1. "SO WUT IF I SPELT DAT WRONG, ITS DA NET I DUN HAFTA SPELL ANYTHIN RITE!!!"

2. The old man liked to watch his spelt grow in the field.

And no adult uses the word "spelt." So I guess it all balances out...

"Spelt" defined:

1. The 14-21 year old version of spelling the past tense of spelled, a show of degredation in society's use of the mind.

2. A type of grain.

1. "SO WUT IF I SPELT DAT WRONG, ITS DA NET I DUN HAFTA SPELL ANYTHIN RITE!!!"

2. The old man liked to watch his spelt grow in the field.

LOL really?

From Merriam-Webster Online:

Main Entry: 2spelt http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif

Pronunciation: 'spelt

chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL