Urch Forums

Like Vs. As

"If the clause that comes next includes a verb, then you should use as. For example, Squiggly throws as if he were a raccoon or It acted just as I would expect my computer to behave. Notice that when I use as, the words that come after tend to be more complex.

You generally hear like used in everyday speech, so that helps me remember that like is the simpler word—or at least it is followed by simpler words. As sounds stuffier and is followed by a more complex clause that contains a verb."

Erin pls, continues help me to explain

Like Edvard Grieg, whom the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, the Italians’ disregard for Verdi persisted for a decade after his critical acclaim in France and Austria. (A) Like Edvard Grieg, whom the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, (B) Like Edvard Grieg, who the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, © Just as Edvard Grieg was long refused recognition by the Scandinavians, (D) Just as the Scandinavians long refused to recognize Edvard Grieg, so (E) Like the Scandinavians’ long refusal to recognize Edvard Grieg

Like Edvard Grieg, whom the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, the Italians’ disregard for Verdi persisted for a decade after his critical acclaim in France and Austria. (A) Like Edvard Grieg, whom the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, (B) Like Edvard Grieg, who the Scandinavians long refused to recognize, © Just as Edvard Grieg was long refused recognition by the Scandinavians, (D) Just as the Scandinavians long refused to recognize Edvard Grieg, so (E) Like the Scandinavians’ long refusal to recognize Edvard Grieg

pls, help to explain , Erin, thank you

pls, help to explain , Erin, thank you

IMO E

here the sentence:" the Italians’ disregard for Verdi persisted for a decade after his critical acclaim in France and Austria" has Italians' as a subject. In the preceeding senctence this sentence has been compared.

Now Italians can not be compare to Edvard Grieg, Instead Intalians need to be compared to Scandinavians’ . this eliminates A,B and C as option.

In D and E

As Vs Like and Refused Vs Refusal

Now the comparision is b/w Italians’ disregard and Scandinavians’ long refusal .Hence E is correct.

Erin Plz give your expert comments.