Urch Forums

post AGRE

funceval

Hi CalmLogic and saurabh_hmss/others, Is it guaranteed that ETS will publish the CS AGRE score on Dec 5 for November exam (or on 1st Dec as CalmLogic suggested)? And what is the exact service charge policy; say one calls and finds that the score is not available yet. Does ETS charge $12 for this 'NO' servicing? Thanks 4 sharing your knowledge/experience on this issue.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone outside the states received his October score via mail ?? I'm dying to know my score, nonetheless my credit card expired and i don't know what's wrong with my stupid bank, they didn't issue the new one yet :S

I know few have taken the October test, but did the mail arrive ?

Endlessdream:

There are no guarantees. However, I don't think they'll charge you if the score hasn't been released when you call. They'll just play a message that'll request you to call back later when the results will be available.

MDK:

Try some friend's credit card if you can, cause that'll give you time to prepare ur apps. as the deadlines are approaching. Mail usually arrives on time, but could take longer sometimes.

[it's a query on an earlier post of 'saurabh_hmss' on this thread]

Hey even if you get d score on 1st Dec, isn't it too late to take decision for reporting to university with deadline 15th Dec. Say if you call for ASR, then it will take 5 days to process and then d university might get it around 20-25th Dec. Clarify me, if I'm wrong.

I want to score my report only if it's a decent one. But I'm worried, if I report my score now and later find it's too poor - it might jeopardize my credentials :(

Say if you call for ASR, then it will take 5 days to process and then d university might get it around 20-25th Dec. Clarify me, if I'm wrong.
If it takes ETS only 5 days to fulfill your request and send out the scores, then the only other factor would be the US Postal Service, assuming ETS does not have electronic reporting for Subject Tests. It doesn't take long for letters coming from ETS in New Jersey to arrive anywhere else in the US. For example, the US postal service estimates that it takes only 3 days for a letter from ETS in New Jersey (zip code 08541) to arrive at UC Berkeley (zip code 94720):

USPS Postage Rate Calculator

These estimates are actually quite accurate on average since the postal service uses PricewaterhouseCoopers to verify mailing times.

For comparison, the October 2007 scores were made available by phone on November 3rd. It wasn't until around November 13th that the exam scores arrived by mail. (The scores would have arrived on November 12th but the 13th was Veteran's Day.) ETS did not mail out the scores immediately. They took their time printing the scores and then having their clerks mail them out.

In any case, here are some facts:

The postmark on the envelope for the October 2007 score report was November 9th.

For at least some US residents and US universities, these letters took only 2 days to arrive, arriving on November 13th. (November 12 was Veteran's Day, a federal holiday with no mail service, and November 11th was a Sunday.)

So for the majority of the test takers -- everyone who chose automatic (free) score reporting for up to three graduate schools -- it actually took ETS exactly 5 business days to mail out the score reports after the scores were available by phone. This is what constituted the bulk of the waiting time for US test takers since the letters did not take long to arrive once they were in the mail.

Therefore, this means that if you call them on December 1st and use their hotline to request score reports, it's theoretically possible the scores would be mailed out the same day as everyone else:

December 1st - you get your scores by phone and also pay to have the scores reported

December 7th - ETS mails out the scores on the 5th business day (Friday)

December 11th - Letter arrives at US university (arrives on Tuesday, taking three days not including Sunday)

Thanks a lot, CalmLogic! I couldn't ever imagine that general postal service would be as fast as you mentioned. I heard somewhere that ETS doesn't use DHL/FedEx or other expensive courier services - so it might take 2 weeks.

Thanks again for such detailed information. Hope this information will help others as well.

Yes, they could, sometime Saturday morning. For example, the scores for the October 6th exam were available on Saturday, November 3rd. Last year, ETS also seemed to release Subject Test phone scores on a Saturday.

So I recommend calling them after 6 or 8 AM Saturday EST (Eastern Standard Time):

The official U.S. time - clock

If you call Saturday morning (EST) and get a recording that says they are updating their records and to call back later, that is a very good sign. That means the records will be available sometime Saturday morning (maybe starting sometime between 6 AM EST and 10 AM EST).

Very disappointing score! It's abt 70% ! I expected 80%.

Anyway, Do anyone have an idea abt the average socre in top 20-25 US schools ?

I think your score is 780 which is 69 %.

Well , Rugters which is ranked the 29th said that their average was 750

Computer Science, Rutgers University: M.S. Program in Computer Science

and university of Texas - Austin which is ranked the 9th said that their average was 795

The University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Sciences - Academics

( of course MS average ).

So given the preceding data , the average ranking of Texas and Rutgers = (9 + 29) /2 = 19 . and the average of the two scores (750 + 795) / 2 = 772.5 which is around 65 % .

So I guess the average of the 19th university would be around 772.5 .

Also remember not to press # or * or anything after you type in your registration number - just wait and the phone service will continue. If you press anything else, it might result in incorrect interpretation of the registration number you dialed.

Hi fellas. I can confirm that the 3rd November scores are now available. I got my scores today. Its 830 and a 87%. I don't think its a score to be ecstatic about but it should do for me.

Thank you! I'll have to call only later (after 6AM EST)

BTW, your score is fantastic. Keep it up. Wish I was in your place ;)

Vikram