Urch Forums

post AGRE

funceval

Hi,

Been a bit of a setback to my application in the form of CS-AGRE. Got the scores through phone.

It's 760, 61%ile http://www.kaaledge.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif My confidence is at an all-time low and just don't know how to react to this score.

Would I be better off not reporting to universities? Lemme know.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vikram, 61%tile is not a bad score. In my opinion, unless you score somewhere in the high nineties, its not gonna matter too much. There's no need to lose confidence, you have done a great job. There are just so many things that can affect your exam day performance. I think the admission committee folks are aware of that. Best of luck with your applications.

Yeah, even if applying for a top PhD program, I would still probably report a score of 760 at 61th percentile. Graduate schools are partly concerned about minimizing their risks, and any good/descent score on the GRECS can help make one look more competent and less risky. So I think a score of 760 can help with #2 and #4:

My understanding of the admissions process is that they are looking for people who have three attributes (in no particular order):

(1) Something really special or extraordinary

(2) Low-risk (not likely to become someone they regret letting in)

(3) A good match with that particular school

(4) A strong background in CS

Only the top schools are going to get all 4. I'll bet most lower schools settle for 2 out of 4. Each school is going to have their own preferences. Most likely, the lowest level schools might settle for only 1 of the 4.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-computer-science/40163-post-your-scores-universities-applied-here-3.html#post257374

So while a score of 760 will not secure admission at a top-20 PhD program, I don't think it will hurt either. The big issue for PhD admissions is research ability, and a GRECS score is just one possible indicator of such ability.

Hello ,

I took my AGRE test in CS on Nov 3,2007. I got 760 ( 61 percentile).

I had reported for 3 univs UIUC , UTA and Gatech in the online form .

But , i didnt cancel my scores during the test.

And now , when i wish to cancel the scores, ETS just replied that i cant cancel my scores to a paper based test once i leave the exam hall .

i am apping for MS in CS for FALL 2008 and have sent the AGRE scores by default to the foll. univs:

UIUC

UTA

Gatech

What should i do now?

1)Should i just call off the app process to UIUC, UTA and Gatech and choose some other univs? I have paid at UTA but i havent paid anywhere else.

2) Should i not mention about the AGRE at all in the online form that they ask?

3) Should i report this scores anyway? Because they would receive it anyhow and they would match it with my name, right?

As you may guess based on my previous post, I think reporting your scores to UIUC, GA Tech, etc. is a good idea. It will likely serve as a competitive advantage for an MS application, at least for GA Tech and the schools that rank below GA Tech. I don't see how a 760 could hurt your application, even for UIUC. Certainly, people have been admitted to Georgia Tech with less stellar GRE scores:

AGRE: 740

GRE: 800+490

Acads: 69.7%

Work EX: 18 months

Mumbai UNIV

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/admission...gatech-cs.html (MS Gatech CS)

Keep in mind that the people who take the GRE CS exam are a relatively small, select group, and the trend is that less people may be taking it each year. So 61th percentile is a good score for an MS applicant.

Regarding UCSD and UCLA, I don't know. I would be optimistic about UCLA, but old posts about UCSD actually seem less hopeful than GA Tech. I would suggest contacting UCLA and UCSD for admissions statistics regarding MS applicants, assuming their websites don't have that info.

Hi Vicky,

I'm also from India. I want to know GRE CS scores by phone. How do i call the number mentioned on ets site. I tried from my mobile, but i got "invalid" response. I'm using my friend credit card to pay 12$. can you pls tell me how you have got scores by phone (step by step..plsssssss)

Thanks in advance

Chiku

Hi,

Been a bit of a setback to my application in the form of CS-AGRE. Got the scores through phone.

It's 760, 61%ile http://www.kaaledge.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif My confidence is at an all-time low and just don't know how to react to this score.

Would I be better off not reporting to universities? Lemme know.

There is no trick like calling from mobile or landlines.

You just have to note the timings when the service is offered.

It is 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Which is 4:30 PM to 8:30 AM IST

I called via mobile and so did my friends.

The no. is +16097717290

Thanks for your fast response....

I will try after 4:30Pm today...

why do they ask institution codes? is that necessary to know my scores?

what information tehy ask about credit card. i need to tell my friend in advance.

It is 6 AM to 10 PM EST

The no. is +16097717290

If you want to report the score to additional institutions then you would need to know the institution codes.

Otherwise you would need the reg no, month & year test taken, your birth date

For credit card information you would need the credit card no & the expiry month & year..

Hey, have a minor query.

Yesterday, soon after I heard my scores over phone, my mind was pretty messed up. Couldn't hear the next question which followed immediately properly. I faintly recollect it as "Do you want to report the scores" or something like that.

It gave me two options: 1 and 9. I didn't know what to press and pressed 9. Now am a bit worried as to what the question was.

Does anyone remember? Please clarify this point.

Thanks!

Hi

i have called 16097717290 from Airtel prepaid connection mobile (Mumbai,India) at 11PM (IST) . I tried many times around that time but always i hear "Invalid Number".

I got credit card from my friend yday n8 and tried to find score but i was helpless..........

Pls someone help me.

Regards,

Chiku

It is 6 AM to 10 PM EST

The no. is +16097717290

Thank you very much Rajendran.

No one told as clear as you..... I hope i can hear my scores today evening....

do they ask for any identity info? can my friend call and find out my score (assuming he have my registration, confirmation number, DOB,test date and ofcourse his credit card)....

IS it an IVRS or human who verifies all these details?

Thank you very much Rajendran.

No one told as clear as you..... I hope i can hear my scores today evening....

do they ask for any identity info? can my friend call and find out my score (assuming he have my registration, confirmation number, DOB,test date and ofcourse his credit card)....

IS it an IVRS or human who verifies all these details?

yes your friend can do it with that info..