Urch Forums

Illinois Pharmacy license requirements

mariagpl

Hi, I am a foreign pharmacy graduate. I have passed my FPGEE and TOEFL exam in 2008. I have recently moved to Illinois. Is the state requirements still demand 5 years of pharmacy graduation? I am looking for a pharmacy intern position at any of the pharmacy stores in Illinois. Can anyone confirm whether the state rules has changed recently? I would appreciate if someone can confirm. Thanks

regards,

Lachu

have you find you like intern or thechnician

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

can anyone guide me please...

i did 5-year b.pharm in india

completed FPGEE and TOEFL, got my FPGEE certificate

i recedntly applied and got my IL state pharmacy technician license.

now what should be my next steps on my way to be a pharmacist in IL state.

intern hours ? (by the way, i complete 2years (=2000hrs) working as phar. tech in NY - does these hours count, if i get a letter from that pharmacy)

all suggestions r welcome

thank u all - gud luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hello JYN

Congrats on your achievements!!! Thank you very much for all that you have posted throughout this website. You cannot imagine how much help you have given, not only for myself, but many others.

I just received my FPGEC certification!! Its been an interesting process thus far and now I need to aquaint myself with IDFPR -- I called them over dozen times and no one was able to speak with me properly. Both NABP and the State of Illinois directed me to each other. So, now I will follow the procedures from this link http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/apply/forms/ph-ex-o.pdf (is this correct???)

My question for you JYN, is the above link correct? as for my next steps?? Any suggestions before I submit my application and ALSO have you received your license to practice pharmacy here in Illinois?

Thanks again,

Chicago773

Hi Chicago773! First you need to find an employer to hire you for your internship. The pharmacist(preceptor) at the store will have to write a letter to the Boards stating that you will do your internship there. I am taking my NAPLEX on Sept.

Thanks JYN, for your prompt reply.

When do you think is the best time to send the application for licensure form with the $75??

I am waiting for the letter from my internship supervisor (Pharmacist). Do you think I can submit everything together?? I want to go in person and make sure I get a receipt/acknowledgement stating I submitted the paperwork. lol

THANKS JYN.

Wish you the best for NAPLEX.

I suggest you wait for the letter so you can submit them together. Thats up to you if you want to submit it personally. Let me know about your experience on that. Just dont expect to get a response from them right away.

Hi JYN,

Two questions - I got two part-time internships where one pharmacist has 20 hours, wrote the letter and I also got a part-time job with a major retail pharmacy. DO YOU THINK I CAN SUBMIT BOTH LETTERS indicating 20 hours per week, totaling 40 hours.???

Question two -- For the FPGEC certificate, do we submit the orginal certificate, because a family friend was able to make xerox copy of my orginial and the copy had VOID all over it. This "VOID" was due to the seal and copy trademark rules. I only have one orginal FPGEC certificate and at this point I would like to just submit that orginal. [i'll maybe call FPGEC for another ceritficate for the future]

Any Suggestions.

THANKS AGAIN. =)

Chicago773.

Hi Chicago 773! For your questions:

1. Yes submit both

2. I honestly dont remember if I gave them the original. Please check the NABP requirements. I guess if you do not see anything that it should be the original I'll just submit a photocopy.

Thank you JYN,

I submitted my complete application with just one letter (40 hrs per week).

I also ended up submitting my orginal FPGEC certificate, indicating my request for return.

I can only hope for the board of directors to have their meeting sooner!!!!

Thanks for your prompt responses and help. Greatly appreciate it.

- Chicago773

• 1 month later...

Hello JYN,

What should expect to hear from IDFPR after submitting my documents??

Does our state of Illinois require finger printing?? Do I just receive a certificate allowing me to start my internship??

The state acknowledge they received my documents, they had their meeting, (one every other month) --- and so now I am just waiting.

But I was just wondering what to expect?

Thanks

Chicago773

Hello JYN and chicago773, and the others. A local independent pharmacy agreed to take me in for an internship but the problem is, it's their first to have an intern so they don't have any experience with regards to preceptorship. My question is: Do they really need to write a letter to the Board first before I can start my internship? Or can I just submit my completed hours together with my documents for my NAPLEX application? I am supposed to start my internship hours 2 weeks from now and then I saw this thread so I'm not sure now if I can do my internship without them writing a letter to the Board. Can someone please advice me on the process so I can tell my preceptor what to do? :D Any advice is of so much help! :) Thanks!!! Oh by the way, the internship will be in Los Angeles. Thanks!

JYN,

I am so fraustrated with our state!!!! I received my second deficiency letter today. Aparently, my letter from my internship pharmacy is not specific for them. They asked me to provide "subject matter to be covered during my course of clinical instruction" --- they gave me examples (sample Internship goals and objective & another sample hospital related) -- so fraustrating.

If I may ask, do you have a sample copy of your internship letter from your pharmacist? Since, I am still confused as to what details they are looking for.

The internship I got is not a hospital pharmacy --- its a regular retail pharmacy.

Thanks for everything!!!

CONTACT DETAILS DELETED BY MODERATOR. Please use Test Magic messaging system.

- Thanks

Chicago773

Edited by wasleys

Hi Chicago 773! I know it really gets frustrating. But there is nothing we can do. PM me a fax number and I will look for the copy of that letter. You know I am one of the victims with the typhoon this weekend so I cant promise you it will be quick though.

Hello, Chicago 773 and JYN,

I have the same situation, just send my papers to Illinois board of pharmacy and at the same time trying to convince my employer (I am working at retail pharmacy) to support my internship. However, it's looks like they don't now what kind of papers they needed for me to start my internship.

Do you guys have a special form for preceptor? or it's just a free form letter from the employer. I will really appreciate if you can sent the copy or scan of that letter to me also.

And another question, what kind of document or letter should I expect from Il board of pharmacy after they will accept my application form? Or should I call them and ask for confirmation ?

Thank you for your time

Hi Duna! Its just a free letter from your employer stating that you are going to do your internship in that pharmacy and basically your job description in detail eg. filling scripts, dispensing, getting orders from the doctors etc. that's what they want on that letter and of course a signature from the pharmacist. After they approve that letter you should be getting a letter from them stating that you could start your internship already and you should present this to your pharmacist.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Chicago 773! I know it really gets frustrating. But there is nothing we can do. PM me a fax number and I will look for the copy of that letter. You know I am one of the victims with the typhoon this weekend so I cant promise you it will be quick though.

Hello JYN, Sorry it took a while to respond. I also didn't have any fax information to send you.

We ended up sending a detailed description of my training. Very detailed. Hopefully this time, they respond positively. I will keep you posted. How are things going with you??

- Chicago 773

• 1 month later...

Hey JYN,

I finally received a simple letter from the state, they aproved the internship and requested me to submit a letter from my preceptor once, I complete the hours.

So, is it true that we do not need a internship license # ?? My friend in New York started her internship and was granted a special certificate (license). I guess different states will have their own procedures.

Sorry, more Q's. How did you log your hours, weekly log, or just a letter stating when you started and when you finished the 1200 hours???

I will be starting my NAPLEX studying soon, I hope you are doing well.

Hi Chicago 773! That's good news! It will just be a letter from your preceptor stating that you have finished your hours and I also gave them a copy of all my pay stubs for proof. I have scheduled my exams for the last week of OCT and MPJE a month after.. Good luck and enjoy your internship.