Urch Forums

Anthropoids

More completely adapted for life in the trees than are the other anthropoids, gibbons move with tremendous facility and ease.

(A) More completely adapted for life in the trees than are the other anthropoids,

(B) Adapted more completely for tree life than any of the anthropoids,

© Being adapted more completely to tree life than any of the other anthropoids are,

(D) Adapting more completely to life in the trees than the adaptation of the other anthropoids,

(E) Having a more complete adaptation to life in the trees than that possessed by the other anthropoids,

Not sure though ....

D and E are out for the bad ..

B has got comparioson error ..some can read it as

Adapted more completely for tree life than (for) any of the anthropoids

Between A and C

I think the correct idiom is "adapted to". Hence C.

Is "being" always a bad news ? (rather a good news for POE) ;)

I think original sentense is good.

(A) More completely adapted (for life in the trees) than are the other anthropoids, ... Looks good as it has simple structure of "More adapted than Y, X are.." which is same as "X are more adapted than Y are.. "

In A, earlier part of sentense is playing dual role (1. Modifier for Gibbons, and 2. Comparison)

Correct.

(B) Adapted more completely for tree life than any of the anthropoids, - any of the is changing the meaning.

© Being adapted more completely to tree life than any of the other anthropoids are,

(D) Adapting more completely to life in the trees than the adaptation of the other anthropoids,

notice the change in the usage of "Adapt"

(E) Having a more complete adaptation to life in the trees than that possessed by the other anthropoids,

This is quite wordy..

@Queen09 -

Although "adapt to" is a good and most widely used idiom, "adapt for" is also a correct one.

eg: Throughout Idioms, Porter keeps in mind the traditional categories of Greek grammar. However, he bases his analysis upon principles of modern linguistics. This foundation is translated and adapted for students and teachers who may not have had any exposure to its technical language and method.

In nutshell, You Adapt TO something.. you Adapt FOR somebody.

In above question, C has multiple errors..

Use of being (not correct in this case) and use of "any of the other" instead of just "other" as in original sentense

HTH

btw, need to see what the OA. ;-)

If i say " this man is better than other men." i would be comparing this man to himself for he is a man too.this is wrong.

If i say" this man is better than any other men" i would be comparing him to other men except him.

So C cannot be ruled out too.nonetheless, being is not wrong always but almost