Urch Forums

Scholarship for Masters in Economics

chicagolasko

Hello people.

I am deciding between applying for a PhD in economics and going for a Masters first, and I've noticed that most of the Masters have higher tuition fees than the PhD programs (actually, the PhD usually don't have). I want to ask you, how easy or probable is to get a scholarship for a Masters? what can you tell from your experience? Comments about all parts of the world and all universities are welcome. I also would like to note that I am a Math major.

At my school where I am currently a master's student (in the Pacific Ocean), most but not all PhD students receive funding and MA students generally receive no funding initially. Depending on how long you are in the MA program, contingent upon performance you may qualify for academic and research based funding in later years.

In the US, agricultural/resource/applied economics programs are more likely to fund your master's degree. The question is whether your interest lies in those fields. If not, some of these programs also have decent placements in general econ programs, for example, the master's at Montana State University whose graduates have been placed mostly in top 20-40 departments like UCSB, Washington, CU Boulder, Pittsburgh, etc. but at times also in top 20 programs like NYU, Michigan, Harvard Public Policy, etc.

CEMFI no longer offer scholarships for their masters students, if I recall correctly. BGSE and Bocconi offer merit-based tuition waivers (25%-100%). For these 2, your chances are much higher if you score really high in the Q section of the GRE (something like 168 or higher). I didn't get any waiver when I applied like 3-4 years ago with 166Q even though my undergraduate results were stellar.

PSE & TSE have negligible school-related fees. The administrative fee is only around 300 euros each year, f I'm not mistaken.