Urch Forums

Profile evaluation - 2021 Fall admissions

Pcoco

Hi everybody,

Could you please give me your opinions about my profile?

I'll try to keep it short but informative:

Degrees

1. Bsc in Humanities (major in Econ): SciencesPo Paris. 3 years. No GPA calculated, but something like 14/20. Main weaknesses: no maths, an exchange year at San Diego State University where I did averagely (3 of GPA, one Econ class where I got a B). Main strengths: performed quite well in my econ classes.
  2. MA in International Economic Policy: SciencesPo Paris, 2 years (+ a gap year). No GPA calculated but something like 14.5/20. Main weaknesses: no maths, one failed metrics class in first year. Main strengths performed well in other econ and metrics classes.
  3. MSc in Economics: BGSE (Pompeu Fabra), one year. 8.5+ / 10 of GPA. Main weakness: no math per say.

GRE

166Q/161V/ incoming score for writing part

Courses

• 7 Metrics classes in total. Failed one at Sciencespo, did 1 point above median in advanced metrics at BGSE, and performed top 10% or even 5% in the other 5.
  • Introduction to Micro at Sciencespo (14/20 - between 35th and 50th percentile). Advanced Micro at BGSE (7.7/10 - around median)
  • 7 Macro classes: 2 in undergrad at SciencesPo (one 35th-50th percentile, one 10th-35th). 1 in my exchange year at SDSU (got a B). Two in my SciencesPo master (one at the median during 1st year, one top 5% in 2nd year). One advanced macro at BGSE (around 40th percentile), one normal macro at BGSE (top 10-5 %).
  • Other Topic courses such as labour economics, sovereign debt, and few others, in which I did top 5%.

Research experience

• 6 months in a French bank as an economist trainee (forecasting, etc).
  • 1 year at the OECD as a research trainee. Some econometric analysis, mainly qualitative research. Supervisor was a Phd.
  • Currently 6 months (maybe more) at the research division of the ECB. Most research supervisors have US PhD, and publish a lot. My work is mainly econometrics and data management. A bit of writing as well.

Letters

• One from a young but rising economist (US PhD, publishing a lot). Ready to write me a strong letter for unis below top 5. Did around top 5% in his class.
  • One from a more established econometrician who also publishes a lot. Top 8% according to ideas.recep. top 5% as well. He knows me less than the first one, but ready to write a strong letter.
  • Probably one letter from the ECB.
  • Other possibilities: young but rising economist (PhD harvard, assistant prof. at SciencesPo, visiting top 10 US uni right now). Scored 4th in his class of 25 student. One visiting macro professor from BGSE, also teaching at NYU. Does not publish a lot but I finished top 5% I believe.

Other useful informations

• Starting this year the second year of a BSc in Maths from a French Uni (Aix Marseille, remotely). Won't have results before application deadline, but for potential interviews I will, and for next year as well.
  • 2nd prize of a Banque de France student essay contest.

In particular, which range of programs do you think I should I target? Should I retake the GRE? Should I try to perform good in this Math BSc and apply next year as well?

Any opinion would be helpful! Thanks a lot,

Cheers :)

What math courses have you already completed in your current BSc program? You would probably need 2 calculus, 1 linear algebra, and 1 probability/statistics course at the very least to be considered for most Econ PhD progarms... are you applying now for entry next fall? If so, due to the math courses it might be a little tight. Although your other achievements in economics are great and may still help. I can't say too much more, but hopefully others can.

What math courses have you already completed in your current BSc program? You would probably need 2 calculus, 1 linear algebra, and 1 probability/statistics course at the very least to be considered for most Econ PhD progarms... are you applying now for entry next fall? If so, due to the math courses it might be a little tight. Although your other achievements in economics are great and may still help. I can't say too much more, but hopefully others can.

Thanks for the answer!

Are you talking about the Maths BSc? So far none, as the first term ends in January. But by next Spring I would, so I do not know how much this can be considered. My application would be stronger next year for sure, but I thought this could already help.

Other than this BSc, basically nothing appears in my transcript. I've had math camps of real analysis, half of an econometrics class was basically probability & statistics, and I've covered a bit of calculus and linear algebra in macro. But yes, nothing appears on the transcripts, and this is less advanced than actual courses on these topics.

You're joking right? BGSE uses Mas-Colell for micro and Greene for Metrics so no he does not need basic calculus assuming that he did decent in his courses.

Can anyone confirm if taking a micro course that uses MWG means that there is no need for a year of calculus courses? It seems many schools explicitly state their math course requirements and do not additionally state that grad level micro will substitute for it.

Can anyone confirm if taking a micro course that uses MWG means that there is no need for a year of calculus courses? It seems many schools explicitly state their math course requirements and do not additionally state that grad level micro will substitute for it.

Have you ever opened MWG?

Thank you guys for the answers. Yes I guess I should have asked it this way: How aware are admission committees that I used Hayashi and Casella&Berger for metrics (used... I should say learn by heart 4-5 chapters) and Rubinstein + MWG for Micro (30+ proofs by heart)? And how much of a substitute for the so-called math requirements are they?

Should I state in my SOP that I used these textbooks?

Thanks again