Urch Forums

Anybody want to put a SERIOUS combined effort for 780 (october 2010)

ashutoshcabm

powerscore cr and sc are very good ... but I would first suggest to go with the manhattan SC ... I have only done cr from powerscore (have to repeat it though) but it has increased my accuracy significantly ...

timing is an issue for me too but in opposite sense ... I tend to complete each section much ahead of time , usually have about 15-20 min in Q and 25-30 min in verbal left ... need to work on it ... it results in too many careless mistakes ...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you suggest we do this? I for example, want to take the gmat in october and maybe if it's the case, in december the 2nd time. I have set a goal of >700 ;

I am a computer science graduate, my math is ok, somehow rusty but I'll get it back...on the verbal side...don't know what to say. I've finished today the RC section from the OG12th and I'm not that satisfied...average 3/7 wrong.

I will continue to skim the OG and afterwards start with powerscore, manhattan and nova for the math section. I intend to get kaplan 800 and EZ advanced also.

my toefl score was 105 with max on writing and 24 on speaking ...the rest quite good.

As for my availability, I will push as hard as I can till august 13th when I'll go back to the office and afterwards weekends and 2h/day during weekdays + a 10 day of holiday before the exam;

Should you consider this a good approach? will it be enough?

thanks in advance.

First of all I would suggest to look at the GMAT as a single qualifying lap or hot lap (dont assume that you have another shot at it) as I personally believe that it makes the person complacent ,its always next time if we dont score well but give each shot as if its the last chance ( my personal belief so please dont bash me on this ;) )

Now,I am also working full time so my plan is also somewhat same as yours.2hrs on weekdays and 6-8 on weekends,but you also have the next 15 days at your disposal hence I would suggest you to brush up your skills during this period. Probably one reading of Manhattan SC and a math refresher sort of book.

btw do give one diag test before starting ...

regards

sason

I need some help here. Actually what happened ........... I think i told you that i started OG10 but as i do not have the book physically so i am using a soft copy. While practicing questions i can see that my accuracy level and speed with CR and RC questions is quite low as compared to that previous practice sessions. I tried to find ways to improve. Finally i decided to go for speed reading techniques and to be a mad reader. One component of the strategy is to write a summary (1 para.) for the stuff and hopefully this will give me some edge in AWA also.

So cutting the story short, can you just give me feedback for my summaries? (On a regular basis.) I promise it will be a "SUMMARY" and the number will not be more than 2 per day.

I will be great to listen a "YES" from your side

powerscore cr and sc are very good ... but I would first suggest to go with the manhattan SC ... I have only done cr from powerscore (have to repeat it though) but it has increased my accuracy significantly ...

timing is an issue for me too but in opposite sense ... I tend to complete each section much ahead of time , usually have about 15-20 min in Q and 25-30 min in verbal left ... need to work on it ... it results in too many careless mistakes ...

Hi

I am going to buy the powerscore CR and SC books.

Where do i practoce the tough Rc's from??

SHould i buy the Powerscore LSAT book too.

I need to improve on my verbal

For Quant , I will be studying from MGmAT books.

Any suggestions to improve my verbal strategy ?/

thanks

I have recently heard about PS LSAT RC! is it really helpful?should i buy it?

Hi

I am going to buy the powerscore CR and SC books.

Where do i practoce the tough Rc's from??

SHould i buy the Powerscore LSAT book too.

I need to improve on my verbal

For Quant , I will be studying from MGmAT books.

Any suggestions to improve my verbal strategy ?/

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

I am new to test magic:D

I am plannin to give GMAT in Nov (though not taken the date yet):crazy:

I wanted to know if LSAT LR is same as the one we can practice for CR.

If anyone knows.

Moreover , I would like to know if someone can guide with other books as well...

I am aiming for a score between 710- 740..

great to ggo through all your threads. extremely insightful. However I was skimming for any suggestions that anyone of you put forth regarding your strategies for quant. Most of you are obsessed with the verbal section.i didnt get a single question from verbal wrong in the OG 12 , and still all that I could manage on the mba.com test was a lowly 710. Pl discuss some mathematics tools and books too. A lot of us out here are relying on your thread for tips..

Rauujh, excellent, that you have an 100% accuracy in verbal because i think OG 12 + Test from mba.com are quite representative of the actual test. Besides all your performance you need to improve on math section. So i have a question for you, Is there any time management problem for the section or you find the section hard? If the later one is true i will suggest you basic concept review + http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre/11422-how-get-high-gre-quant-score-average-math-non-math-test-takers.html + Kaplan 800 (study with concentration)

Ok?

all the best. go ahead and Jazz

ok atishree , this is the strategy, it evolved as i worked hard. It worked for me i am sure it will also work for you, (it may reduce your pace but for sure boost up your accuracy)

1. read 1st 2-3 line very carefully and simply grasp it but do not read it more than once.

2. write 2-3 key words for every paragraph and try to keep a map in your mind

ex- 1- keyword 1, 2

2-keyword 1,2

so on.................

practice it for one week (7*5=35+do 5 RCs for me as a bonus=40) come back here and tell me

solve 5 rc a day from 1000 rc document because it has more qs per rc. ok

don't rush through but concentrate & give your 102% shot on every rc you do.

and i want you to do this for a week and write down your hit rate in this thread.

go hit it , and most important be aggressive with the rcs,

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning to take GMAT test in Dec/Jan.. I've just found this forum and decided to join in.. I'm non native speaker so the verbal part is the most difficult to me, but the good thing is that I'm good in math :) so hopefully I will get enough score to do the MBA in US. I wish all of you good luck! :)

Welcome to URCH, If you have 2 months to put all what you can then i can suggest a webpage from my friend Mukul and trust me verbal is not too difficult to crack all you need is the set of books (recommended) + Some "GLUE" you can start with SC (Manhattan), check out the detailed study plan to blast the GMAT How I Got a 770 in GMAT: GMAT Preparation Guide ... A Detailed Schedule for Two Months....PART I

Thanks I'll go through this page :) point is I'm working full time and have a very little time to spend on preparation, but I'm going to do part of the tests while at work.. I also found one very good advice here:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/just-finished-my-gmat/48749-740-gmat-510-740-47q-44v-my-full-debrief.html

what he wrote really inspired me.. :)