Urch Forums

2014 ARE Thread

bandersnatch

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my sense is that a lot of decisions for the first round at Cornell have been students attending ms there? Or is this untrue as far as this forum knows?

Untrue I'm afraid, while I have a masters its not from Cornell.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your "a lot" there, although, my understanding is that most of the people who attend the program for their phd come from their masters program, so in that regard you are definitely correct

Untrue I'm afraid, while I have a masters its not from Cornell.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your "a lot" there, although, my understanding is that most of the people who attend the program for their phd come from their masters program, so in that regard you are definitely correct

I emailed Cornell yesterday they said decisions have not been made, but apparently offers have been gone out. Are there several rounds or they just dont want to tell me i am rejected now:cold:

Ok, ok, ok. Before you guys start freaking out: it's still very early for offers. Some places might still be busy for faculty recruiting. Also, some places have a rolling admission process. In fact, I received my offer at my current place in mid March. If you don't hear anything by the end of March you might think about plan B. Until then, good luck everyone! :)

I emailed Cornell yesterday they said decisions have not been made, but apparently offers have been gone out. Are there several rounds or they just dont want to tell me i am rejected now:cold:

As has been mentioned, I'm really not sure it's that serious at this point. Most of what's going out right now is first round -- many decisions are truly yet to be made.

A lot of these schools also have to deal with the matching issue as well, which will push the process much later into the spring. An anecdote I heard from the Phd students here is that only three of ten or so students at the flyout decided to attend. So while those students might have sorted to better offers, more students received admission.

I'm not freaking out exactly, but I'm a little frustrated. I had a great week last week with three replies so I had kind of hoped that that rate would continue.

From what I've heard, Cornell has pretty strange decisions. Also, I've seen very little action on GC, and my sense is that they only let a few people in at a time. Two and a half months is a long time to be on the waitlist.

From what I've heard, Cornell has pretty strange decisions. Also, I've seen very little action on GC, and my sense is that they only let a few people in at a time. Two and a half months is a long time to be on the waitlist.

I actually didn't apply to Cornell, I was just freaking out in general because I haven't heard from anywhere since last week.

Also, did anyone apply to Yale FES? There is an acceptance on gradcafe, has anyone heard from them? Follow up question, if you did apply, did you speak to any faculty members on the phone before you turned in your application?

I actually didn't apply to Cornell, I was just freaking out in general because I haven't heard from anywhere since last week.

Cheer up mate. I think your 3 acceptances are a pretty good signal that you'll have some better offers down the line.

Also, did anyone apply to Yale FES? There is an acceptance on gradcafe, has anyone heard from them? Follow up question, if you did apply, did you speak to any faculty members on the phone before you turned in your application?

The GC acceptance was me. They admitted three students this year: each faculty member admitted one student, who they advise for the duration of the PhD, so having support from a faculty member is a perhaps the biggest requirement for admission.

Edited by envirodevonomic

So my guess is that Madison moves pretty soon with acceptances?

if it looks anything like years past (2010-13), they'll send some acceptances as early as tomorrow.

Yep just received their acceptance.

Also Madison says there's no funding at this time. What are the chances to get funding if not at this time?

Yep just received their acceptance.

Also Madison says there's no funding at this time. What are the chances to get funding if not at this time?

From what I know, they tell everyone who doesn't get a university fellowship that there's no funding at this time, and then funding details are passed out later. I think you should read that message as "funding pending..." as other schools would put it. As far as I know all PhD students are fully funded, although perhaps those who didn't receive funding chose not to attend. So in terms of chances of funding I think you should be hopeful, because I assume they haven't made any RA and TA decisions yet.

EDIT: Also, congratulations!

The GC admit was me. They admitted three students this year - each faculty member admitted one student to advise for the duration of the PhD. I would say having extensive contact with a faculty member before the application process is the biggest single requirement for admission.

From what I know, they tell everyone who doesn't get a university fellowship that there's no funding at this time, and then funding details are passed out later. I think you should read that message as "funding pending..." as other schools would put it. As far as I know all PhD students are fully funded, although perhaps those who didn't receive funding chose not to attend. So in terms of chances of funding I think you should be hopeful, because I assume they haven't made any RA and TA decisions yet.!

This is good to know! Reduces my stress quite a bit -- I had taken it as that the funding slots had all be allocated elsewhere.