Urch Forums

2014 ARE Thread

bandersnatch

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any knowledge on Berkeley ARE fly outs? I didn't hear anything about it in the unofficial email I received. Any chance of them paying for a flight from the East Coast?

I was offered a fly out from Davis, so I assume that Berkeley would pay for fly outs as well, but I haven't heard anything yet. If a program pays for fly outs they would certainly pay from the east coast. In a related note, I heard Duke UPEP paid for a fly out from Singapore a couple of years ago.

Anybody have any knowledge on Berkeley ARE fly outs? I didn't hear anything about it in the unofficial email I received. Any chance of them paying for a flight from the East Coast?

I'm sure they will. It would be a really bad signal if they didn't offer to buy the ticket. It's possible however that they might have a set amount for student recruitment at $400 per student or something.

Update: I just talked to someone at Berkeley ARE, and they do not fund fly outs or have official visiting days.

Update: I just talked to someone at Berkeley ARE, and they do not fund fly outs or have official visiting days.

Wow. It seems ridiculous to bill themselves as the "world's premier graduate program in agricultural and applied economics" and not fund visits. Maybe they just assume that everyone will want to attend for the placement record alone? I know in past years Berkeley has gotten a lot of love on this forum, but I'm having a rough time seeing it...

That's rough. I've never been to the West Coast, let alone met any of the faculty there. I'm gonna have a hard time accepting the offer without ever having visited the campus or met any of the people I'm supposed to be directly working with for the next 5 years. Might pay for a trip out there on my own, but that's definitely sub-optimal... ugh.

I think it might be worth while to let your stance be known to the Berkeley ARE folks. At some level, they want you to attend and if you tell them that you would like to collect information on the program by visiting they should cater to you at least a little bit.

I don't think revealing this offers any downside since you are accepted and have a funded spot -- they aren't going to pull your funding or admission by you telling them I like you - I'm just not sure if this is going to work out without seeing you first.

Are Davis decisions out'? Mine still says "submitted?" on the grad thing. Is that a bad sign?

So far I'm in at Wisconsin (with funding) and Oregon State (tbd) and not in at Berkeley and Columbia (sustainable development). Waiting on Davis and Colorado School of Mines (Mineral and Energy). Anyone else apply there?

Does Berkeley Econ have fly-outs, or at least a visiting day?

If you explain your case personally to the department, they may make arrangements. My understanding is that ARE will fund flyouts, but they make it an opt-in thing so that they only pay to fly out the people who really, really want to.

Hi. I've been avidly following this thread. Thanks to all who are contributing.

Is Maryland AREc still admitting? Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back from them?

I've gotten into a few ARE programs already but part of me doesn't want to start thinking about where I want to go until I've heard all the admission decisions.

Thanks!

Is Maryland AREc still admitting? Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back from them?

I've gotten into a few ARE programs already but part of me doesn't want to start thinking about where I want to go until I've heard all the admission decisions.

Wondering this too. Not sure I would move at this point, unless there was a really good offer. I'm pretty content with Davis (i.e. not sure how much difference there is between the two, and this is a much nicer quality of life). (though many have argued that Marlyand places a better, I think Davis has better prospects for development).

Has there been any roll in Cornell AEM offers? Some people I talked to at visit day were planning to go to the Cornell visit too. I'm kind of interested to see what a very high waitlist means. Also considering the visit day if I do get an admission (I assume they would reimburse for an admit as opposed to a waitlist?).

I'm pretty content with Davis (i.e. not sure how much difference there is between the two, and this is a much nicer quality of life). (though many have argued that Maryland places a better, I think Davis has better prospects for development).

I'd be curious to know what makes you pick Davis over Wisconsin (if you don't mind sharing your reasons).

Would you go to Cornell if you got in? I saw earlier discussion on this thread about Wisconsin vs. Cornell, but I'd love to hear more opinions.

So far, I got into Cornell AEM, Wisconsin AAE, Davis ARE and Columbia Sustainable Development. And got rejected from Berkeley ARE (bummer...).

I think I was in the first wave of admits from Cornell (got the offer on Jan 31), so I can't really say anything about the waitlist process.

I'd be curious to know what makes you pick Davis over Wisconsin (if you don't mind sharing your reasons).

Would you go to Cornell if you got in? I saw earlier discussion on this thread about Wisconsin vs. Cornell, but I'd love to hear more opinions.

So far, I got into Cornell AEM, Wisconsin AAE, Davis ARE and Columbia Sustainable Development. And got rejected from Berkeley ARE (bummer...).

I think I was in the first wave of admits from Cornell (got the offer on Jan 31), so I can't really say anything about the waitlist process.

@gradmama,

Did you get in Columbia Sustainable Development with funding? Just for more information, my friend at econ program in Columbia said, SD guys have great opportunities to work with econ faculty who are one of the best faculty in development fields in the world. As far as I know there are 2 or 3 guys are preparing their dissertation with econ faculty members as co-chairs. It is definitely impressive signal in the job mkt. However, if no funding.... :(

Well, Wisconsin didn't fund me for the first strike. If they had, I'm still pretty sure I would stick with Davis. I have a few reasons. I've lived in the Midwest for 23 years -- California is a nice change. But even if I could hold those constant I think I would still head to Davis. Development here is pretty exciting -- Carter, Taylor, Lybbert, and Boucher are all very involved and very field work oriented (not to mention others). There's also very real access to the econ department. For someone who is developing interests in labor, public, and behavioral, that means a lot to me.

I'm not sure I would go to Cornell. I'm impressed by their development faculty, but I'm not sure I feel its as good of a fit as Davis. Cornell pays more, but it's about even on placements, from what I can tell. I would certainly investigate, were they to accept me, however.