Urch Forums

Canadian MA & PhD Admission Results Thread

tt11qj

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhD or MA? I haven't heard anything from them regarding the MA either way. A rep from the school told me they were going to have offers out by the end of this week (Mar 17) lol.

Anyways, I won't be going there regardless of what they offered. Anyone in here planning on going to UWO? If so we should meet up before the math camp starts!

One of my classmates received an offer today.

Anyone has any clues whether UBC, Toronto, Queens or Western Ontario will still give out any PhD offers? Or is no answer at this stage from any of those unis an implicit rejection from each one? Edited by Lin93

Toronto is beginning to roll out its second round of offers. Western will likely send out second round offers if they dont have the numbers they're aiming for at this point in time. Keep in mind Western sent out around 45-50 offers and expect to get 15-20 total MA's & PhD's so it is unlikely you'll see an offer from them if you have not already. Don't know about the rest of the schools.

Anyone has any clues whether UBC, Toronto, Queens or Western Ontario will still give out any PhD offers? Or is no answer at this stage from any of those unis an implicit rejection from each one?

Institution: University of Toronto

Program: MA

Decision: Accepted/ Waitlisted for Ph.d Stream

Funding: 15k

Notification date: 3/3/2017

Notified via phone, snail mail, or email: email

Institution: McMaster University

Decision: Accepted

Funding: 24k

Notification date: 2/27/2017

Institution: Queen's University

Notification date: 2/25/2017

Comments: not attending

Still waiting on UBC :/ .. funding aside, what do you think of McMasters program as a stepping stone for UBC/UofT Ph.D?

Toronto is beginning to roll out its second round of offers. Western will likely send out second round offers if they dont have the numbers they're aiming for at this point in time. Keep in mind Western sent out around 45-50 offers and expect to get 15-20 total MA's & PhD's so it is unlikely you'll see an offer from them if you have not already. Don't know about the rest of the schools.

Just called Western this morning. They are still planning on sending offers until the end of March.

Oh cool, well best of luck to all! If you hear back from them definitely shoot me a personal message we can meet up before the summer sessions! It will be a really intense year so we should find some people to form a study group

Just called Western this morning. They are still planning on sending offers until the end of March.

I heard McMaster has a pretty solid program especially if you're trying to use it as a stepping stone for a higher ranked program. Apparently its on the outside looking in for the Top 4 rankings. Queens would probably be a really good spot to use as a stepping stone as well!

Still waiting on UBC :/ .. funding aside, what do you think of McMasters program as a stepping stone for UBC/UofT Ph.D?

I have heard McMaster is a great place to go if you want to use it as a stepping stone to UBC and or UoT! I would also consider Queens as well as they are currently third ranked in the big 4 and have a solid track record for getting people in those places as well. But honestly, the impression I get from speaking with professors is that either one of those terminal masters can get you into some solid institutions provided that you perform well in the program!

Have you heard from UBC yet? There are a ton of rejections on gradcafe but no status update for me.

Program: MA - General

Funding: None, but in all likelihood I'll be approved for a TA ship (

Notification date: 3/24/2017

As someone who grew up in Toronto and had to do their undergrad in the states, this is outcome is the best I could've hoped for since I always planned to return to Toronto at some point.

I mean sure, getting accepted into the PhD stream would've been nice but I'm 21 and my desire to pursue a PhD might change, so paying 8.5k for a top quality MA is a decision I won't regret.

Other than that, I honestly feel like I got placed appropriately and I'm confident I can do well in the general program. If you're reading this and you've decided to attend UofT's MA program next fall then shoot me a PM, I'll be refreshing (Calc and real analysis during June and I'd love some company :P).

P.S - Special thanks to ecomath for putting my mind at ease about this whole process, i'd love to meet you one day on St. George campus - Lunch will be on me :)

Can anyone explain why Toronto takes so much time to send rejections for their MA program? If the candidates are not good for them in the first place, why are they waiting? I contacted their graduate assistant several times, and he only asked for my patience and which programs I had been accepted to. Most likely I would not go to Toronto anyway since I have better offers, but still I am very curious how the situation will turn out in the end.

Congrats EasternLance that is great news! If it makes you feel better there is no more Doctoral-Stream program at UoT any longer I had that confirmed by Ettore. Some people will be pre approved to take Core PhD sequences however they will be awarded the same degree and not receive the same levels of funding as previous years from my understanding. I was confused as well when I received my offer letter..

Program: MA - General

Funding: None, but in all likelihood I'll be approved for a TA ship (

Notification date: 3/24/2017

As someone who grew up in Toronto and had to do their undergrad in the states, this is outcome is the best I could've hoped for since I always planned to return to Toronto at some point.

I mean sure, getting accepted into the PhD stream would've been nice but I'm 21 and my desire to pursue a PhD might change, so paying 8.5k for a top quality MA is a decision I won't regret.

Other than that, I honestly feel like I got placed appropriately and I'm confident I can do well in the general program. If you're reading this and you've decided to attend UofT's MA program next fall then shoot me a PM, I'll be refreshing (Calc and real analysis during June and I'd love some company :P).

P.S - Special thanks to ecomath for putting my mind at ease about this whole process, i'd love to meet you one day on St. George campus - Lunch will be on me :)

Thank you tt11qj,

Out of curiosity, did you decide to attend UofT?

I ask because I remember us talking about our profiles, I felt like we had a similar background. I'm glad you got so many great offers, I think you'll be successful anywhere you go. Best of luck man, maybe i'll see you in Toronto.

Hey easternlance, my decision came down to western and UoT but I ultimately decided to attend western for reasons related to funding and how the overall program fit with my interests. I also really liked the idea of being in a class with a group of 12-20 people max and having access to faculty pretty much anytime. But I'm sure you'll do great at UoT they have a really great program there! Best of luck and feel free to stay in touch I will start doing some math at some point this summer and I'll be close to Toronto.

I think you made the right call man, developing those kinds of intimate relationships are what really set you apart.

In all honesty I was ignorant that Western had an MA program in Econ since all I've ever seen talked about was UofT or UBC. If I could do it all over again I would've applied to both Queens and Western, but it's best not to dwell on the past.

I'll be doing some math and metrics review in Toronto with someone else in the UofT MA program, you're more than welcome to join. If it isn't against Urch's rules then I'd be open to exchanging numbers via a PM. let me know what you think.

Institution: Toronto

Program: MA (They say they are eliminating the distinction between doctoral and general stream but I doubt this. I think they are funding much higher for doctoral stream students)

Decision: Reject

Funding: 8K faculty Scholarship plus TAship 6K

Notification date: Mar/3/17

Notified via phone, snail mail, or email: Email

Institution: Queens

Decision: Reject

Funding: 18000K (TA+Scholarship)

Notification date: Feb/28/17

Notified via phone, snail mail, or email: Email

Additionally, I got admissions from UBC Msc Econ and LSE Msc Econ.

Final decision: I chose PSE econ.

• 9 months later...

Program: PhD Economics

Funding: 36k

Notification date: 3/30/2017

Notified via phone, snail mail, or email: email from a prof

This was my last notification. I'll be attending UBC though

congrats! what were your stats? have your started your program?