Urch Forums

A How To for the GRE (by flounder)

flounder

Hi,

Since the original post from Ali dates back to 2003, I was wondering if all his great advice is still valid for someone who plans to take the test in 2011?

In summary, these are his recommendations:

Vocab

----------------------------

Barrons High Frequency

Barrons 3500

Princeton Review list

Arco list

Kaplan's List

Big Book

Vocabulary building software

Guru's GRE

Verbal Section

PowerPrep

Big Book

Kaplan

Barrons

Princeton Review

Quant

Barrons Math review

Kaplan Math

Power Prep

Big Book

TestMagic Forum

what do you think? all is still good? any additions? any changes?

I am thinking the same, particularly because the Quant Section is said to be much tougher these days. Would love an update on this how to. By CS Standards, 2003 is already ancient...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Himadric et. al.,

Focus on a smaller number of books, and learning them really well. I generally recommend you stick to ONE company's books if you can help it, outside of vocabulary building. Otherwise, you're going to confuse yourself, and overwhelm. I'd certainly like to pitch our books, which are a comprehensive 8-book set, but there are lots of other great resources out there. Don't overwhelm yourself with material however. The idea of having 5 books on GRE quant is insane (again, I view OUR books as really just ONE book, but we break it up into categories). The test is going to change soon, however, and then everything here will need to be updated.

Also, Hellraiser, I love the idea of telling stories to remember words. It may look crazy, folks, but it really does work. (Be careful though, a lot of words were misused in there. You might have shoved in a few more than you needed!)

Hope that helps!

-t

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
@manish You should bring a book (barrons/princeton/kaplan) and start with dignostic test. As you are a engineering student, maths will be a cake walk for you. So start by understanding the verbal patter and then derive a strategy. For maths, take out 15 days of your life and revise the whole maths (it will take much less than 15 btw) and then after those 15 days, just keep on practicing problems. Maths is easy. Verbal is a issue to look out for. And start as soon as possible so that you don't get short of time and give it when you feel that ur powerprep score is coming according to your expectation. Don't wait for 4th year to come !!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ali,

I would need a little suggestion of yours in the scenario that I am into. I am currently working for Tata Technologies in Lucknow, India and taking GRE in March, 2012. Further looking forward to join schools in US (Selected 5 schools in Texas) in January, 2013 (i.e. Springs).

As per my preparations i may score (Considering old score scale) 1200+ in the exam.

I have a rich experience of working in SAP and project management for more than two years. And that the field I am looking to do my masters in (i.e. IT/Project Management in computer science).

What would be my chances of getting admitted to school and get financial aid.

Please suggest.

Best Regards

Gaurav

Hi All

I am a MBA (Finance), with commerce background, based out of India and currently working with a MNC. I am planning to give GRE in April end 2012 to apply for Msc Economics in US an UK univ. I am weak in verbal (mainly vocab and RC's) and quant and would like to understand which study material to refer to-:

a) ETS Official Guide - already started studying from this

b) Princeton GRE and supplement - which sections are good in this book?

c) Kaplan/Barron - which one to buy, that would help me to revise both verbal and quant?

d) any book suggested for AWA?

I need to score at least 90% in both quant and verbal (though verbal is not very important). Are 3 months sufficient to prepare? I would only be able to give 1-2 hours on weekdays, and 3-4 hrs on weekends to study. could you share any strategy, that helped you crack the required score (any tips etc..). Also, would be good to know if anyone has an idea which univ are good for msc economics in US/UK that provide funding easily. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

• 9 months later...