Urch Forums

A How To for the GRE (by flounder)

flounder

Hello

I am relatively new here and planning for GRE test within 5 or 6 months. I am interested to know what should be the frequency of learning new words. 100-200 per week or even more pace.

I think the important thing is the pace at which you can effectively remember and revise the already learnt words while building up newer vocabulary :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if "Gre Secrets" is really so great as it's stated on the company's website? What about ARCO words for smart test takers? What's your opinion? I don't know... for me as an international student Barrons' 3500 list seems so hard! I can't even imagine to fill up my brains with all those words. Do you think arco is enough for around 400-600?

I can understand that Barrons list seems rather intimidating, but the thing is that those words are more or less what is expected of a person entering a graduate program. You'll probably encounter many of them as you start reading journals, papers, Wall Street Journal (if you are a business major), books etc

@DesT

depends on which uni u apping .......some top ranked unis prefer computer engineering s to give subject test...like Gatech .

Yeah Berkeley, UIUC and CMU also prefer that you take the GRE subject. If you end up getting a good subject score, thats like a plus for your app in any case, right?

Thanks Ali,

Thats really some work done.

I have a problem to discuss, i have given GRE once last year and wana give again because i got low score (1170- 760Q 410V) I wanted to ask if it would be of any extra help if i would give subject tests instead of simple GRE this time (I wanna go for CS). and also can you give me some moral boosting tips to help me start my preparations again.

Rahul.

Well if it helps, I had a friend who retook her GRE and raised her score by more than 300 and was able to get into Berkeley with those scores. The subject test is always helpful because it gives your app more depth than other candidates even if the university says its not explicity required. At the end of the day, GRE is just one part of you admission application, the others being your previous grades, letters of recommendations (very important), statement of purpose, which university did you do your undergrad from etc

• 1 month later...

question...

in the actual test, i did not see the buttons "confirm" and "next" in the AWA. Only present were "help", "section exit", "test quit", and "time". Which means, I had to wait for the time to expire since I didn;t see anything that will say that "You're done, click proceed" as the time still ticked. am i safe? or the worst is just around the corner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
question...

in the actual test, i did not see the buttons "confirm" and "next" in the AWA. Only present were "help", "section exit", "test quit", and "time". Which means, I had to wait for the time to expire since I didn;t see anything that will say that "You're done, click proceed" as the time still ticked. am i safe? or the worst is just around the corner?

You did it for practice didn't you? Did you type your essay in? As I remember, they will allow you to click proceed.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...
hi my name is Mukta Desai .. and the problem is tht i have registered for my gre for the 9th of may two months back.. and havent really been studyin for it for long .. i cannot score more than 10/20 in math,and apart from tht i also have college midterm exams till 10th of april .. so u have to give me advice on a crash course on how to take the gre .. considerin the time limit .. and give it the best i can...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

But there are several GRE test prep websites that run on any browser, and for them it doesn't matter if you are running Linux or Windows or Mac. For example

http://www.mygretutor.com

http://www.number2.com

http://www.maxmytest.com/

These are three good ones (in order of "goodness") :); mygretutor has actual GRE computer adaptive tests, so I think that's legit! But I agree, it's lame that the GRE prep materials require windows -- I wonder if Microsoft paid them off! LOL

The biggest problem is that all the tests are written to be run on a windows platform.

For us Linux users, its a pain to actually log into Windows just for the sake of doing tests

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...