Urch Forums

TOEFL iBT victims willing to sue!

knok

Dear Knock

I would like to know your opinion about my post in the toefl section regarding an incident which happened during my test on friday 11/09.

Many Thanks

Nina

Sorry Knock but I am not sure how to post a link???:blush:

It is in the Toefl section and its title is (I need your opinion about a problem that happened during my test).

Many thanks

Nina

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Knock,

I appreciate your efforts, for whatever you have done as a Moderator, up to now. Froums like FPGEE, NAPLEX, TOEFL, ....

I am so curious about TOEFL iBT, plan of "suit action".

I wonder in what stage of process it is!

Could you please kindly, in case of possibility, inform us in what point you are, these days.

I think most of us are willing to refresh our information about documents and testifies you have recieved & gathered, so far. Or; maybe it can encourage some others to step up and share theirs, as well.

Anyway,

GOOD LUCK,

Babak

Babak and everyone,

I am here. I was busy with my personal issue. We have some progress and I am sure that our effort will give a positive result. As you may know, we sent our complaint to four corners of the country.

Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone for sending the surveys. I received all of your surveys.

I will keep you posted later.

Best regards,

Knok

Dear Knok,

Thanks for elaboration.

Hope to have good news from you.

Regards,

Babak and everyone,

I am here. I was busy with my personal issue. We have some progress and I am sure that our effort will give a positive result. As you may know, we sent our complaint to four corners of the country.

Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone for sending the surveys. I received all of your surveys.

I will keep you posted later.

Best regards,

Knok

Hi Knok,

I’m in the same boat with you guys. Before I saw you postings I was thinking to contact a lawyer and see if I can get the results of my tests. Just to convince myself that the grades are accurate. I have seated for the TOEFL test 7 times until now, and every time my score was 1 point under what I needed for my license. The first 2-3 times I said is just bad luck, but seven times in a row, it’s too much.

Anyway, after so many trials I have learned what they want to hear, how to give the answers, and how to evaluate my performance.

Last time I would say, I was close to perfection in speaking. On the other sections, my scores were in the 28-29 range, and I got 23 for my speaking.

I remember that I’ve had a hard time adjusting my microphone (after 3 unsuccessful attempts the proctor came and it took her another 2-3 min. to get it set), so I believe they did not recorded all my answers.

I know my spoken English is better than fair and this why I would like to hear my responses. Just for my peace of mind, because I am loosing it.

Do you know if anything like this can be done?

I only have one word to say about the situation presented in the letters. Nasty.

They just don’t care. I have called them Friday, to talk about my test results, and the customer service lady gave me a case number and she told me to wait 3-5 working days for a phone call from them. That was it. “ETS is committed to improving your customer experience” :eek:.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello members,

I am in the process of sending all documents, data, facts to lawyers. If you have additional evidence, please send it to the address above (on the first page). Thanks everyone who sent documents and surveys to the PO Box above. It will open until March 5, 2008. I have extended it. All documents will be confidential. Don't worry.

Merry Christmas.

Have a happy holiday! :)

Knok

• 11 months later...
i am on the same boat with you guys. i too had recently taken the test and then requested for a rescore. unfortunately, the result is dissappointing. my speaking score went from 24 to just 20 and i just can't believe it. this is my second test and i strongly believe that i did considerably better compared to the first test where i got a 22 on the speaking. On my first test, i must admit that my answers weren't that complete on 3 out of 6 six questions. My scores were R30, L26, S22 and W27. On my most recent test, I believe i gave good answers on 4 out of 6 and ran out of time on 2 questions. Nevertheless, i was still hoping to get a 26. When i received the score, i had a 24 so i requested for a rescore hoping to get a couple more points. To my disbelief, i saw my score today and I lost 4 points in the speaking section. I would have understood it if my score got lower by one or two points, but 4 points? let me make this clear, i dont mind losing a couple of points on the rescore. that's a risk i am willing to take. but losing 4 points? how was it even possible that the first rater gave me a good score on the first two questions and on the rescore, i only got a fair? It only shows how scorers have greatly different standards in rating an answer and i dont think it is fair for test takers. the sad thing is we can't do anything about it but spend another 150$ to take the test again just to get an acceptable score on one part of the test. TOEFL really sucks. I wish FCCPT and other licensing orgs would accept IELTS which allows you to talk to real person.

Team;

Any new news about Toefl IBT? I am so frustrated about this subjective unfair test; however, I think out problem is NABP.

If NABP continues to stay unrealistic about the English requirement, we never can meet the expectations.

If thay want us to reach the mountains, no matter what English test is acceptable we still may not make it.

Thanks.

Team;

Any new news about Toefl IBT? I am so frustrated about this subjective unfair test; however, I think out problem is NABP.

If NABP continues to stay unrealistic about the English requirement, we never can meet the expectations.

If thay want us to reach the mountains, no matter what English test is acceptable we still may not make it.

Thanks.

Well said.

Dear cornflakes

I do agree with you.I understand how you feel.You are right there isn't any standard for rating the speaking section. I applied for rescoring too .My score changed from 24 to 22.The result of this test is totally unpredictable.It depends on the mood of the rater Unfortunately.I took this test 9 times so I think I know what I am talking about.I remember one time I couldn't find 2 reasons for one of the independent questions in iBt so I just repeat the questin and I got good score on that part ,24 the total.This is the way they score us.

Hello Guys,

I am not sure if there is someone else who think like me out there.

I am the same as you guys. I took the TSE first then the TOEFL Ibt many times untill I passed..Now if the NABP or ETS changed the requirements or standards for the test, it will not be fair for us. Unless they are welling to pay for our lost time preparing and testing. I now some peoples will not like my post but it is a fact. I wasted 14 month from my life untill I cleared the TSE I will SUE the ETS if they now make the test easier.

thank you guys

Hi Kemo202

I would like to tell you that we too have wasted a lot of time and effort, maybe even more than you. So if you passed the test, with more luck than others, just thank God and go through the next step. It is not your righe here to state what is fair and what is not.

Live and leave others to live !!

Thanks

Personally, I would not like to see my worst enemy going through the hurdle of the Toefl IBT. Your 26 Kemo is a pure luck. Go back to take the test again, and you will not get 26.

By the way Corneflakes, When I called the ETS to complain about my very last score, The lady was very nice and connected me to the supervisor. He said that the required 26 is a very high score and that the raters are looking for something that he is not going to tell me. We talke about how can we check the volume but not the microphone, his answer ofcours didn't make a sense. We also discussed the rescoring system and how the score changes from 18 to 24 or higher and vice -versa. The supervisor's answer was that the raters are different. I said, " aren't they looking for the same things? How come one rater find it and the other did not?". He ofcours could not answer. I ended up by thanking him and hung up.

Hello Guys,

I am not sure if there is someone else who think like me out there.

I am the same as you guys. I took the TSE first then the TOEFL Ibt many times untill I passed..Now if the NABP or ETS changed the requirements or standards for the test, it will not be fair for us. Unless they are welling to pay for our lost time preparing and testing. I now some peoples will not like my post but it is a fact. I wasted 14 month from my life untill I cleared the TSE I will SUE the ETS if they now make the test easier.

thank you guys

Hi there I am not trying to be facetious or rude but I need to prove a point here ok.

You passed the test, good for you, but that by any mean DOES not mean that you English is superior to ours.

And by reading your post here I am tripping on how did you pass the test, surprisingly you did (according to ETS standards), but I won't fall in most of the grammatical mistakes that you'd made in your post, and most of the people here that are complaining won't either.

I know what you feel about it and I understand, but this is not something that shall make you feel the way you do, you made the effort to get to where you are now, but many people here worked as hard as you did if not harder, yet they still can't make it due to many reasons other than the proficiency of their English.

I hope I got my point acrossed without offense.

dear all, i am also on the same boat as u guys. I did the toefl ibt 4 times. I got twice 26 on the speaking, but i ve never cleared the writing even when i asked 4 a rescoring. So i took a toefl ibt course. My fifth exam was on the 5th. Hope i ll make it this time. Anyway let me tell u my friend s story. He did 6 times the toefl but never cleared the speaking. The one time he passed the speaking, he got 22 on the writing. Although the time before he got 30 on the writing. He asked 4 a rescoring along with a letter. They changed his score to 25. Can u believe it. In addition i agree with the people who think that we shouldn t tell them where we want our scores 2 be sent. Because it will be easier 4 them 2 manipulate them. Thank u