Urch Forums

There is no p,h, or d in romance: the graduate student dating conundrum

zappa24

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're not dating? Rats, tonight I shall have to sugar my own churro.

Dating was so last century. That's cute. For your parents.

It's called hooking up. You dance off to see whether you make my posse. Then we'll go from there.

No dancing. No entourage.

• Like 1

I have no idea what this thread is about. College campi are full of young, attractive females. How can a slightly older, intelligent male cohort not succeed? For the females on this forum, just attend a program with a good football team.

Can we please, as a group, stop assuming that Econ Ph.D. students are men -- heterosexual men?

It's been like half a dozen really damn infuriating posts on this thread so far (and it was cleaned of the troll before I got here).

• Like 1

Can we please, as a group, stop assuming that Econ Ph.D. students are men -- heterosexual men?

It's been like half a dozen really damn infuriating posts on this thread so far (and it was cleaned of the troll before I got here).

I'm really just stirring, I never made the assumption myself but why not make the assumption? - I think its reasonable - the majority of econ PhD students are heterosexual men. And we're all economists, we make assumptions like that all the time.

I'm really just stirring, I never made the assumption myself but why not make the assumption? - I think its reasonable - the majority of econ PhD students are heterosexual men. And we're all economists, we make assumptions like that all the time.

But we strive for better models all the time. And I don't think we're losing much parsimony by extending our model of Econ Ph.D. students from all heterosexual men.

Edit: See the trend of extending models (e.g. trade theory) from homogeneous to heterogeneous goods/firms/etc. :P

(Plus, because it reinforces the trend, but that one's not as funny.)

I thought Econ programs were starting to attract more women. I could be wrong, but I assumed it was similar to gender ratios in business school.

I thought Econ programs were starting to attract more women. I could be wrong, but I assumed it was similar to gender ratios in business school.

They definitely have been attracting more women, but there is still a large gap. I have no solid numbers on this, but I would think that women in econ PhD program is probably