Urch Forums

There is no p,h, or d in romance: the graduate student dating conundrum

zappa24

Its kind of silly discussing such personal matters on the internet... not really my style. As if anyone here could provide much insight into your interpersonal dilemmas and needs, and as for relationships... we tend to have much less control over them than we like to think anyways.

It can be fun. Did anyone ever have an online penpal/email-pal?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of sad. Musicians are much more mathematical than you'd think. In fact, being more mathematically inclined enhances your musicianship greatly. As suggested before, take a look at Randy Wright. We also have a Ph.D band going here.

Perhaps you should pick up an instrument and give it a try?

Don't cry for me Argentina....

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange

When I try to explain how I feel

That I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me

All you will see is a girl you once knew

Although she's dressed up to the nines

At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change

Couldn't stay all my life down at heel

Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

So I chose freedom

Running around, trying everything new

But nothing impressed me at all

I never expected it to

[Chorus:]

Don't cry for me Argentina

The truth is I never left you

All through my wild days

My mad existence

I kept my promise

Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune, and as for fame

I never invited them in

Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired

They are illusions

They are not the solutions they promised to be

The answer was here all the time

I love you and hope you love me

Don't cry for me Argentina

[chorus]

Have I said too much?

There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.

But all you have to do is look at me to know

That every word is true

I used to be a professional artist before switching to economics and I'm finding my research projects to have a surprisingly similar methodology to my old artistic ones.

Creativity, organization, discipline in execution are important in both.

I don't think there has been much of a difference in the way I communicate with people either.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

There's zero cross over.

I don't think you'd have to take it more seriously than thinking art is not a waste of time. If you think that it is, don't date an artist. :p

But any other better appreciation for art will do. My girlfriend knows I'll never be able to critic art properly, and I think she's happier with that.

Threatened by competition?

Signs of a healthy relationship.

Speaking from your vast experience with both fields?

Thanks for asking dood.

I've been accepted to 15 PhD programs in English and economics and attended both.

And you?

Am I better qualified to make cross disciplinary generalizations than you?

Wow, annasui, you need to get laid.

It's about quality not quantity.

Although I'm willing to have a coffee talk about the guy who dates one girl who he marries and makes repeated generalizations about a dating market he's never encountered.

So modest too...

No wonder you're so bitter about relationships.

If it's honest and real where's the so called bitterness?

Just calling it as I see it...

If I were an English high school teacher I'd be amazingly more popular, so ... what do I have to lose?

You might be more qualified to make generalizations (which I didn't, by the way), but that doesn't mean you're right. Maybe for you there is no crossover, but is it so hard to understand that someone else's experience might be different?

You seem to really like absolutes.

But why isn't your friend posting his experience if it's entirely subjective? If an experience is forever limited to just one person what's it's value?

Well, I don't know that it's entirely limited to one person. I would say that I have seen evidence that suggests (to me) that for some people, art and science--particularly art and math--have a very close relationship. I don't think this is necessarily true for all, but it seems to be true for some non-trivial subset of people.

We are probably arguing about different things. If you are arguing about it from an epistemological point of view, then I don't mean to contradict you. You might be saying that from some objective standpoint, art and science have no crossover. I'm simply pointing out that I believe there exists a relationship between the two for some people, which I believe is also what others on this thread were suggesting.

Well, I don't know that it's entirely limited to one person. I would say that I have seen evidence that suggests (to me) that for some people, art and science--particularly art and math--have a very close relationship. I don't think this is necessarily true for all, but it seems to be true for some non-trivial subset of people.

We are probably arguing about different things. If you are arguing about it from an epistemiological point of view, then I don't mean to contradict you. You might be saying that from some objective standpoint, art and science have no crossover. I'm simply pointing out that I believe there exists a relationship between the two for some people, which I believe is also what others on this thread were suggesting.

**Challenges you to a dance off.**

**Circumnavigates 3 times on her head.**

**Breakdances**