Urch Forums

There is no p,h, or d in romance: the graduate student dating conundrum

zappa24

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Before I entered the PhD program, a thought occurred to me (being a single guy) about what type of romance a person in a PhD program could start. The thought was this: there really isn't very much in the way of creating romantic opportunities in a PhD program. First and foremost is the amount time that must be devoted to classes. But, even if you find the time, the question becomes who. It is not the days of John Nash where you can go around dating your students, so people you meet through TA'ing are out. Your pretty much isolated in your own department, which rules out another source. The outside world is off limits because grad students have so few hours to devote to being in the outside world. That seems to leave other PhD students, but if the relationship becomes one of a permanent form, someone will have to sacrifice at least their short-term aspirations in favor of the significant other. It would especially be true for two people trying to get into academics, as it is unlikely for both to get academic jobs at the same or nearby schools of equal stature. When I noted that last point to the people in my study group, another person who is dating a PhD student from another program raised the same concerns.

(Trying to summon up my best, inner Carrie Bradshaw)

So, is it the single PhD student's lot in life to study everything but the Book of Love?

Hah hah, three people from the OSU econ department all having problems finding a significant other. We should ask Kerry Tan to teach us the art of schmoozing.

Sometimes when i read this forum, geez...

Obviously, during the first year, it'll be tough, with the hours and what not. But the way I see it, if you took a job in the private sector (assuming the offer wasn't rescinded), you'd be working the same kind of hours. So really, we aren't in terribly different situations than our job destined friends.

You just need to readjust how you meet people. It isn't going to be like undergrad anymore, where largely you met people at parties. Next time you have an assignment to work on, go to a cafe, you'd be surprised how easy it is to meet people. Hell, I've actually had a barista pick me up.

And for all of you wondering about placement issues, I guess it is a matter of preference, but for me, I would always choose to cater to my significant other than take the conflicting job offer.

I will be in this position soon. I'm in the process of applying to schools now and my girlfriend is taking a year off (she's graduating undergrad at the same time as me) and is going to apply to med schools in the area that I end up going to grad school. She has extremely high grades, achievements, scores, ect, so that helps a lot with her placement options. We have agreed however that I will try to get into the best grad school I can and she will follow me. Then, I will do my best in grad school and work for a great job market paper so that I have a chance to get placed at a school in the area where she chooses to do her residency. She has said she'll try to do her residency in a large city so I would have multiple options, but I am fully willing to follow her. It's just up to me do do my best in grad school so that I will be a good candidate no matter what school I end up trying to get a job at. It's all about give and take.

I don't! I believe in back-rationalizing. Not that it should necessarily happen, just that it does.

Also, what does this strawberry mean under my user name? I've been meaning to ask the forum that.

I believe it's a representation of your reputation points.

Obviously, during the first year, it'll be tough, with the hours and what not. But the way I see it, if you took a job in the private sector (assuming the offer wasn't rescinded), you'd be working the same kind of hours. So really, we aren't in terribly different situations than our job destined friends.

A couple huge differences. One is your friends probably have a higher income than you do. Another is your friends will be forced to work 9-to-5, or 8-to-6, or that plus overtime and have to come in Saturday's every now and then. Regardless, when they're done, they're done, they can party all night Friday, and sleep in and be hung over all Saturday without consequences. PhD program you have much more flexibility with your time. Some people choose to stick to working similar hours/days to working people, esp. those living with someone working such hours. I certainly have not. It's really funny how long weekends (i.e. Monday holidays) have lost all meaning in the last two years relative to when I was working.

So for example of what I'm talking about, today I turned down my second bachelor party invitation to Vegas this academic year. Both have been the weekend or two before I've been scheduled to present in my department. Not that I would have the kind of disposable income to fully enjoy such an event anyway. Neither concern is relevant to my friends. That said, no regrets. I knew what I was getting into, and I had my fun while my time off lasted. I did arrive at my first day of math camp not-so-fresh off a red-eye flight from Vegas -- so I guess I made the most of every last moment of freedom.

I have no idea what this thread is about. Meeting women on a college campus is the easiest thing on Earth to do. You'd have a harder time fishing with grenades. Unless you're starting grad school at age 30 and you're totally opposed to meeting 22 year old women, you should have no problem.

This guy is a genius.

It's definitely not that bad. My life is no less fun now than it was when I was an undergrad.

I go to see concerts, plays, movies. In fact, I've done more of it this year than any year before. I still wake up with a hangover once every couple of weeks. I traveled more this academic year than I did in my entire life (mostly to California to see my girlfriend, but the point stands).

You have to put more hours into grad school than a full time job, but at least you're acquiring knowledge. Going to classes and solving problems certainly beats doing some mindless, brain numbing crap for 8 hours 5 days a week.

You have to put more hours into grad school than a full time job, but at least you're acquiring knowledge. Going to classes and solving problems certainly beats doing some mindless, brain numbing crap for 8 hours 5 days a week.

Truer words have never been spoken...er, typed. I am very opposed to becoming stuck in this type of work environment.