Urch Forums

510 GMAT - plzz suggest

soni85

hey friends

i gave my gmat and ended up with 510...really bad score for me..

but to be honest i did nt practice.....i just got idea for GMAT from some books and read some questions(even those not by heart).....and result is 510

but now i am preparing well for gmat and feel grasp on GMAT sections....

some people say score wont improve with another try.....that depresses me...

can anyone help me with this???

is there any chance to improve score with dedicated practice of two months???

I haven't taken this exam yet, but I am sure you can improve. Just browse around other threads and you will see that there are a lot of successful stories.

Personally, I would not listen to derogatory comments such as "it won't get any higher". Why not? The more you know the more prepared you will be; some people prepare for months and months, while other don't need it, only because they already know what you don't know.

Some thinking is required, but on an important test, the most important thinking is done prior to that. So, lift yourself up and get to study..HARD..ER.

DO you know about yourself or do some other people know about you.

I feel the person knows his capabilities and limits.

From what you say that I feel that you know what mistakes you did and what you should do to improve those mistakes.

If your birthyear is 85 than you have lot of time ehead to prepare and crack this test without any problems. You are taking this test to make your life.

Don't take decisions based on other peoples' opinion. WHen people advice they say what first things that come in their mind. Then they forget about those thngs. Its not necessarily best advice. But when we think about ourself we thing taking all things into considerations and so our our thougts and opinion should be the things that matter to one (Condition is that we can in best mental condition and ale to think rationally).

I believe that you believe in yourselfy and strongly feel that you should prepare honestly and take the test again.

I am giving you a real story about a boy whom I know:

He has written GMAT five times and his scores were as follows:

1. 440

2. 510

3. 460

4. 640

5. 730

What do you think?

Hasn't he improved?

I think the same (not the time taken or shots) is applicable for us.

AND he is in the top 10 now.

CHEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

soni85,

Absolutely! I don't know where you heard this bizzar rumor that you won't improve your score. It is not a fact!!!

I have seen many buddies who improved their scores in the second try.

More important things is

"Your commitment, perseverance, and positive attitude get you where you want to be".

Since you have some time, please consider reviewing spidey's note and brutal sc and participating the forum(actively).

Don't let this score let your sprit down. You've already passed no point of return, chin up and keep walking!!!

Best regards,

Mitzi

I am giving you a real story about a boy whom I know:

He has written GMAT five times and his scores were as follows:

1. 440

2. 510

3. 460

4. 640

5. 730

What do you think?

Hasn't he improved?

I think the same (not the time taken or shots) is applicable for us.

AND he is in the top 10 now.

CHEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

See, I love this buddy's spirit! Just simply love him!!![clap]

GMAT scores are based on the percentage of people who scored above/below a certain level of performance. My motto is, "study harder than 99 percent of people and you are bound to do better than most." GMAT problems break down to simple concepts ... just think of the test as being like a foreign language. At first some of the concepts can seem strange (e.g. what is the sum of integers between 100 and 300), but over time as you'll lock down the core method to each problem type, you'll find that the concepts are fairly easy. Soon enough, you'll be speaking the GMAT language.

My advice is give yourself time.

-Understand the scope of the test (e.g. what are all the different question types that are asked in each section?)

-Learn the approach to each problem type.

-Give your mind time to absorb each concept and fully understand it. This was my biggest challenge. Early on in my study of the GMAT I would focus on figuring out how to solve each problem, then move on. My error was in thinking that as long as I learned how to solve each problem ONCE, I would know how to solve it quickly in the future. What I learned is that I needed to know the solution to each problem so well that I could pretty much answer every question in my head (yes, quant problems included).

-Give the test preparation time. Although it would be nice if for all of us one month would be sufficient study time for a 700+ score. In due time, you can get a high score, you just might not know how long you'll need to prep to get there.

Keep the faith!

Soni,

If you scored 510 without doing your best (in terms of preparation), then of course you can improve. The GMAT doesn't test who you are, it tests how well you can take the GMAT so results are not fixed. I improved by 140 points between two exams, and the story in a previous post talks about someone improving by 300 points (I have to admit I have a hard time imagining that one).

As you go about planning your study, research what has worked for others (this is the great advantage of participating on a forum). In my debrief (http://tinyurl.com/magic-debrief) I write in detail about the mistakes I made in my studying approach before my 1st exam and about which study program/materials got me better results the second time around.

For starters, I would encourage you to have a look at Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction guide and at GMATFix verbal flashcards.