Urch Forums

What masters program should I choose?

AngelLille

Hi! I've been accepted to the University of Warwick and also applied to APE at PSE. With regards to your question, I think it depends on what you want to do after your MS-- would you like to go for a PhD or work in the industry? I've heard Warwick has a strong enough reputation to grant you a good job in the UK, but less so outside of it since its brand is not as strong as the Oxbridge/LSE.

Additionally, do you (or anyone) have any idea how competitive PSE's masters admission is (in comparison to Warwick/UBC/SFU)? It's my dream school but I get a sense that it's extremely selective and there's a very high number of applicants give then cost.

Hi! I've been accepted to the University of Warwick and also applied to APE at PSE. With regards to your question, I think it depends on what you want to do after your MS-- would you like to go for a PhD or work in the industry? I've heard Warwick has a strong enough reputation to grant you a good job in the UK, but less so outside of it since its brand is not as strong as the Oxbridge/LSE.

Additionally, do you (or anyone) have any idea how competitive PSE's masters admission is (in comparison to Warwick/UBC/SFU)? It's my dream school but I get a sense that it's extremely selective and there's a very high number of applicants give then cost.

I'm planning to work outside the UK, and I would really like to go for the PhD.

I think the PSE is great, but it is a good place to study before making the PhD at the US or UK?

• 1 month later...

I think the answer to your question depends on what you want to do after your degree.

If you plan to pursue a professorship by doing phD after your masters, then PSE is your easy choice.

If you plan to pursue a career in finance, then LSE is your definite choice.

If money is a big problem for you, then UofWarcick is your choice! I rejected LSE's economics masters offer because I didn't think that they would accept students on very expensive tuition without financial support.

I hope you make a decision that you won't regret!

I think the answer to your question depends on what you want to do after your degree.

If you plan to pursue a professorship by doing phD after your masters, then PSE is your easy choice.

If you plan to pursue a career in finance, then LSE is your definite choice.

If money is a big problem for you, then UofWarcick is your choice! I rejected LSE's economics masters offer because I didn't think that they would accept students on very expensive tuition without financial support.

I hope you make a decision that you won't regret!

Thanks for your response!

What about the MSPE in the UIUC?

I think Illinois school is excellent if you want to land a position in the states after your degree, although generally speaking pursuing a masters degree in the US in economics is not praised upon because most decent schools offer direct admissions to phD. Also, the school overall doesn't compare to PSE or LSE overall. I would place Illinois and Warwick at about the same level in terms of research (I can't speak for their teaching). The reason only some schools in the states have masters program is because they lack funding, whereas in Europe they have masters degree because their undergraduate degree is only three years and require time for students to prepare for research level work.

Good luck!

I think Illinois school is excellent if you want to land a position in the states after your degree, although generally speaking pursuing a masters degree in the US in economics is not praised upon because most decent schools offer direct admissions to phD. Also, the school overall doesn't compare to PSE or LSE overall. I would place Illinois and Warwick at about the same level in terms of research (I can't speak for their teaching). The reason only some schools in the states have masters program is because they lack funding, whereas in Europe they have masters degree because their undergraduate degree is only three years and require time for students to prepare for research level work.

Good luck!

University of Illinois is clearly ranked in Econ higher than Warwick. (Illinois is around 30, while Warwick (much like Cambridge) is around 50-60. At University of Illinois, you can also take math and statistics classes in their very reputable math (top 20) and stats departments (top 30ish), if that's required for the person.

• 1 year later...