Urch Forums

#065: Should a city try to preserve its old

lfeot

Hi, guyz. I'm quite new to this forum. Here's my essay, need your comments and, of course, a score since I'm gonna take TOEFL next week. Thank you all!

#065: Should a city try to preserve its old, historoc buildings or destroy them and replace them with modern buildings? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Some people may hold the opinion that a city should destroy its old, historic buildings and replace them with modern buildings. Others, however, may have a negative attitude. As far as I am concerned, I extremely advocate that a city should try to preserve its old, historic buildings. There are three premier reasons going as follows.

First of all, historic buildings are symbols of cities. With no these historic buildings, a lot of cities will lose their meaningful significance. In fact, a historic building not only is the symbol of a city, but also represents the culture of a country. For example, people are aware of political freedom and democracy of the United States from the Statue of Liberty, understand long history of China from the Great Wall, and know romantic art style of France from the Eiffel Tower. Therefore, without these historic buildings, cities, and even countries, will be definitely overshadowed.

In addition, historic buildings are also important resource for historical education. Undoubtedly, every historic building has its own precious historic value. For instance, the Forbidden Palace is one of the most famous historic buildings in China. Every year, a lot of people go to visit this building. Not only are people impressed by its grand architecture, but also do they gain rich historical knowledge about the lifestyles of Chinese emperors of Qing Dynasty. Consequently, historic buildings enable people to increase their historical knowledge.

The last, historic buildings are good resource for tourism as well. Quite obviously, tourists are willing to visit places where offer historic interests and scenic spots. For example, Lushan, one of China’s famous mountains, attracts millions of visitors every year. Not only its natural scenic beauty, but also abundant historical relics, such as Jiang Jieshi’s (the first president of Chinese Kuomintang) villa, make this mountain a remarkable heritage in the world. As a result, historic buildings can definitely increase the number of visitors.

Thus, in the end I would like to conclude by saying that old, historic buildings indeed play a vital role in symbolic significance, historical education and tourism resource of a city. As a result, preserving the old, historic buildings of a city is definitely necessary.

Wow! Really great essay and writing skills. I would give you 6.0 If you wrote this essay in 30 min without any help, you should ace TOEFL. Really amazing.

Just one thing: the 1st and 2nd paras are similiar (if we talk about ideas). And as far as I understand historic building isn't only an old and famous building, it's also just an old building...

Anyway, GREAT! Renata

• 6 months later...

Hello everybody! Please review my essay.

#65. Should a city try to preserve its old, historic buildings or destroy them and replace them with modern buildings? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

A city should try to preserve its old, historic buildings since they are unique, valuable. They also should be preserved for people all over the world, for research purpose, and for travelling industry.

First, many historic building is the treasure not only for one country but also for the whole world. For instance, Yuan Mingyuan, one of the famous royal gardens in Beijing, was one rare brilliant palace. Unfortunately, when eight country allies invaded China, they destroyed it by fire. Although people of Beijing do not distract it in order to replace it with modern buildings, people all over the world lose so much precious architecture including delicate carving and can never admire it any more. The fact above shows us a city should preserve historic buildings rather than damaging them. It is impossible or terribly hard for us to recover them if they are destroyed.

Second, old and historic buildings can provide valuable evidence. For example, the Great Wall of China shows cruel domination of King Qin Shihuang, the king who unified China. If you have opportunity to visit there, you will know that even climbing to the highest level of the wall without any burden is tried enough. So, you could imagine how exhausted work the ancient worker did when they transferred every huge stone to build the wall without any help of modern machines. You also easily understand why numerous people lost their lives for building it. In other words, The Great Wall is the obliterated evidence. Should not it be preserved by the city?

Third, these valuable historic building can serve as unique travelling spots. Every year, especially in the spring, a lot of domestic and foreign visitors come to the Forbidden City in Beijing. Visitors are interested in this royal palace, not only because it is the largest royal palace of Qing dynasty, but also because it is an integrated history museum. People can comprehend the luxurious lives of the king and his family and have more systematic knowledge of this period history. Like the Forbidden City, historic buildings should be preserved by the city for tourism.

In conclusion, a city should preserve the old and historic buildings as rare treasure for the people in the world to visit and learn more about our history.

Hello, i'm going to take the Toefl in the next two weeks.

This is my first Essay (a little bit short, i think) , please evaluate it! My goal is to obtain 5.0 in this section, but i know i need more exercise!

Many cities try to preserve their historic buildings, when others prefer to destory them in order to construct new ones. I think that the best solution is to keep what the past inhabitants of our towns built, because this choice has many advantages.

First of all, a city with a lot of ancient and historical buildings is more attractive for tourists. If more tourists come and see the town, they spend much money in the hotels, in the restaurants, and so on; so, the commerce of the town can take great benefits from its ancient buildings. I am italian, and in my country there are a lot of cities, like Roma or Firenze, wich preserved their historical buildings; each year this towns are visited by million of tourist coming from all over the world, and this is their most important source of income.

Another factor that we must consider when we decide if it is better to preserve or not our old buildings is that they can be very helpful in order to help us to keep in mind the history of our country. I think that remembering the history is very important in order to repeating the errors of the past. In Italy, there are a lot of buildings of the fascist period and, even if they are not exactly architectural attractive, they remember us a sad period of our last century; i hope this can permit us not to fall in another dictature.

In conclusion, i think that its historical buildings are very important for a city, and that they must be preserved, for the reasons i have just discussed.

It is no good to destory old historical buildings and replace it with the new ones,that will lead to the great lose for this city.

Firstly,the historical building represent the city's history,the people who come to this city can study a lot from it.If we destory them,we only can know the city's history from the textbook,that is the mishap for us.

Secondly,the old building can represent our ancester's great work,in the other word,they are the precise art works.That will give us a very good living condition,we can appreciate that everyday,to destory those is no wise too.

So,to destory the historical building and replace with the new one is not a good deal,we should protect the building which has very high value,that will benefit our citizens.We also can make use of the historical resource to attract tourists,it will contribute to our economy definitely.