Urch Forums

#133: A person's childhood years (the time from

lfeot

Do NOT just read, your comments are way important to me to improve my writing skills! Thanks alot!

#133: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person's childhood years (the time from birth to twelve years of age) are the most important years of a person's life. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Some people may agree with the statement that a person's childhood years are the most important years of a person's life. However, I contradict this statement. This point of view is based on the propensity of the following reasons.

First of all, childhood years do not give people necessary skills to make a living. Although people learn some skills to conduct themselves in society in their childhood, this cannot be regarded as a tool to make a living, which is certainly the most important to people. Only can people get necessary knowledge and expertise at high school or college to face the challenges of their careers and support themselves or their families. As a result, childhood years are not that important.

In addition, childhood years do not give people the best friends in life. When most adults look back, they surprisingly find that they almost forget the friends they made in childhood years. The friends they often stay together with are either college classmates or work colleagues. As friends are the most valuable aspect of people’s lives, the period in which people make the closest friends should be regarded as the most important time. Therefore, childhood years are not important enough for people’s lives.

The last, childhood years do not give people a lot of impressive experiences. As children are under the care of parents, they rarely could understand the complexity of the society. It is a common notion that people become familiar with the overall environment and society when they are in adulthood. When people are in high school or college, they sense the importance of competition and experience the joy of success and sorrow of failure. However, people could hardly taste these aspects in their childhood years.

Thus, in the end I would like to conclude by saying that childhood years do not provide a lot of impressive experiences to an individual. As a result, they are not as important as the adulthood of a person.

#133: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person's childhood years (the time from birth to twelve years of age) are the most important years of a person's life. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

"My childhood years are the most memorably years of my life", is a statement that many make. Those blissful first twelve years of one's life does play an important part in defining how one is going to turn out as an adult. Yet, I do not agree that they are the most important years of one's life.

In my opinion, the most important years of one's life are the period between young adulthood and middle age. By young adulthood, I mean the late teens and the early twenties, while I would describe 35 as the point where one begins to enter middle age. It has to be noted that different people mature at different rates, so the ranges are not set in stone.

Why do I say that this period is more important than the childhood ?

In my opinion, the importance of one's life should be measured in terms of what one can contribute to the society. There is very little a person can contribute to the society during the childhood years. Indeed, this is the period one relies heavily on the contributions from the society.

Childhood is the period where one is prepared to face the challenges of adulthood, but children do not get to choose how they do the preparations. Parents, teachers and other adults decide it for them.

This is often done out of good intentions. It is the widely held belief that children are not capable of distinguishing between right and wrong. Thus, during the firt dozen years of one's life, one is guided by hand through this moral maze that is part of life.

When we enter young adulthood, we are given the freedom of choice. We get the chance to determine our own future. We get to determine our own code of ethics for our lives.

During childhood, our knowledge and skills are limited. Unless one is a prodigy, there is a limit to what one can achieve as a child.

Between young adulthood and middle age, we are at the peak of our performance, both physically and mentally. Thus, one is able to achieve most during this period.

There is another major drawback to being a child. A child lacks experience in life. If learning is all about experience, then one is in a least learned state during one's childhood.

At the same time, children are overflowing with imagination, which is the source of inspiration for creativity. Once we enter the latter stages of our lives, our capacity to imagine is greatly diminished.

The period between young adulthood, and the middle ages is where we have a good balance of experience and imagination.

Thus, a combination of freedom, physical and mental acuteness, imagination, and experience make the period between early adulthood and middle age the most important years of one's life.

Hello AmogoRo!

You have wonderful writing skills, just use them in appropriate way.

Toefl essay format:

1 para for intro

2-3 paras for body (each para should be about one clear idea, which supports your point of view stated in the intro)

1 para for conclusion

Just look above at Lfeot's essay - it's a perfect example. You can also find examples in this forum or toefl essay section in tesmagic.com site.

HTH! Best wishes from Renata

• 1 year later...

Please give me some advices about my essay. Thank you!

We will all experience three stages in our lives-----childhood, adulthood and old age. Then which one is the most important? In my opinion, like the root of a tree and the foundation of a building, childhood is the base of a person¡¯s life, so it is the most important.

First, character, which is thought to determine a person¡¯s fate, is mainly formed in childhood .Can you imagine that a child who is taught dishonest will become an honest man and have a successful life? On the other hand we have heard many stories about famous persons who had presented their excellent characters during their childhood. President Washington is one of them who presented his honest by admitting his fault of cutting a peach in front of their house. Chinese has a proverb whose main idea is that we can know a child¡¯s future through his character and his behavior at seven years old. This is just because character has formed during this period and will affect a person in all his life.

Next childhood is a period in which people have good memories and learn something very fast. Many knowledge and skills such as language are difficult to learn for an adult, yet easy for a child. Even quite a few professions need learning and training during childhood. The typical example is athlete. It is said that Lining, the famous Chinese gymnast who won three gold medal in Olympic games had begun his training from three years old. Many other professions like pianist, ballet-dancer, painter etc are same as athlete. In fact no matter what profession you want to do, you must have enough knowledge and ability, which you should obtain in your childhood.

On the basis of the two reason I mentioned, I want to tell all the parents that you should help your child form a good character and remind all the children that you should study hard from now. Good character and enough knowledge is the base of success and the best period to form character and learn knowledge is childhood. Childhood is the most important stage in people¡¯s life.

• 2 months later...

Please rate my essay. I am going to take TOEFL this weekend. I need your help.

Childhood years are indeed most important days of any person's life. I strongly agree with statement. Childhood years of any person make him learn behaviour, recieve lots of love and affection and develop talents.

The initial years of life is the time when a person learns how to behave. Also, these years are important to make him know about himself, his family and society. A child's mind is very impressionable and imbibes values and behavior what he sees around him. So, role of the family members and school is of utmost importance in developing good or bad behavior.

Childhood years are the years which recieves lot of love, affection and support from their parents and teachers. The children turn out to be mature and emotionally balanced teenagers or adults. On the other hand, if we see childhood of criminals and anti-social elements, most of them must have been gone through tough times as children. They usually deprived of proper care and upbringing. Juvenile delinquents have a history of abuse in their earlier years.

Children are always inquisitive and willing to learn. If provided with a stimulating environment in which children can develop talents and learn enjoying their work, they grow into good citizens and can be an asset to the nation. Family is the primary institution in the child's formative years where the parents are the role models for their children. They develop temperment, ethical values and morals in tune with what they see in parents and elder siblings. The type of personality they develops in childhood is difficult to change later.

So, I firmly believe that childhood is a vital part in a person's life which plays an important role in shaping future.

Originally posted by sree_vavila

Please rate my essay. I am going to take TOEFL this weekend. I need your help.

Childhood years are indeed most important days of any person's life. I strongly agree with statement. Childhood years of any person make him learn behaviour, recieve lots of love and affection and develop talents.

The initial years of life is the time when a person learns how to behave. Also, these years are important to make him know about himself, his family and society. A child's mind is very impressionable and imbibes values and behavior what he sees around him. So, role of the family members and school is of utmost importance in developing good or bad behavior.

Childhood years are the years which recieves lot of love, affection and support from their parents and teachers. The children turn out to be mature and emotionally balanced teenagers or adults. On the other hand, if we see childhood of criminals and anti-social elements, most of them must have been gone through tough times as children. They usually deprived of proper care and upbringing. Juvenile delinquents have a history of abuse in their earlier years.

Children are always inquisitive and willing to learn. If provided with a stimulating environment in which children can develop talents and learn enjoying their work, they grow into good citizens and can be an asset to the nation. Family is the primary institution in the child's formative years where the parents are the role models for their children. They develop temperment, ethical values and morals in tune with what they see in parents and elder siblings. The type of personality they develops in childhood is difficult to change later.

So, I firmly believe that childhood is a vital part in a person's life which plays an important role in shaping future.

Hi, Sree Vavilla.

I think the organization of your essay is quite strong. The main points are clearly stated in the introduction and organized into separate paragraphs through the body of the essay. This is always a good approach.

It is important to note, however, that your main points should always be supported with specific examples. In your first example related to behavior patterns, for example, you've made your point, but have not included any examples (either personal or universal) that will help your readers identify with the point. Be concious of this when presenting all of your main points.

Also, the conclusion needs to be more than one simple sentence restating your point of view. Although this is important, you should also mention your main ideas again and leave your readers with something to remember. Think of the difference between a sentence like: "Childhood is important." vs. "The basis of all successful societies can be found in the healthy upbringing of its children."

I hope this is of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

• 4 years later...

HI ..guys..i am newbie to this forum.Have attempted this essay.Please can sum1 rate this essay.I am in dire need of getting a serious assessment done for my independent essay section.I am taking my toefl next weekend.Inputs are appreciated in any form whatsoever:

The time that a child spends from his birth to the age of 12 yrs is the most remarkable time of the child's life.This is the phase of life when innocence is at its peak and the child leads a carefree life devoid of knowledge of all happenings around him.A playful attitude of the child brings smiles to the faces of everyone around him.

The child in this phase of life is completely oblivious of the tensions,trials and tribulations of the world.Having said that, as time passes,the child progressively develops his mind power,orients his attitude and directs his energy towards a manifestation of an image of a world that exists ,not the one that he pictured during his early years after birth.Memories of a lifetime stick to the mind,which as the child reaches adulthood,he can only remember and smile at. Knowledge gained during childhood days are retained for a very long time.

A child observes and imbibes a lot of information from its environment.As the years go by and the child gains adulthood,his observatory faculties fade,so not a lot of things are learnt from around him.The childhood phase is also the most critical phase of life,because the developmental process of the child ultimately decides what the child will become when he is into adulthood.The degree of responsibility and maturity that the child attains at later age is decided upon by how the child behaves and how the life of the child takes shalpe during the early stages of development ,primarily from birth to about 12 yrs.

Therefore,in my opinion,the time that a child spends from birth to about 12 yrs is the most important and best time of the life of the child.

HI ..guys..i am newbie to this forum.Have attempted this essay.Please can sum1 rate this essay.I am in dire need of getting a serious assessment done for my independent essay section.I am taking my toefl next weekend.Inputs are appreciated in any form whatsoever:

The time that a child spends from his birth to the age of 12 yrs is the most remarkable time of the child's life.This is the phase of life when innocence is at its peak and the child leads a carefree life devoid of knowledge of all happenings around him.A playful attitude of the child brings smiles to the faces of everyone around him.

The child in this phase of life is completely oblivious of the tensions,trials and tribulations of the world.Having said that, as time passes,the child progressively develops his mind power,orients his attitude and directs his energy towards a manifestation of an image of a world that exists ,not the one that he pictured during his early years after birth.Memories of a lifetime stick to the mind,which as the child reaches adulthood,he can only remember and smile (at) incorrect to end in preposition. Knowledge gained during childhood days (are)is/ it refers to knowledge retained for a very long time.

A child observes and imbibes a lot of information from its environment.As the years go by and the child (gains)/try this word approaches adulthood,his observatory faculties fade,so not a lot of things are learnt from around him.The childhood phase is also the most critical phase of life,because the developmental process of the child ultimately decides what the child will become when he is into adulthood.The degree of responsibility and maturity that the child attains at later age is decided upon by how the child behaves and how the life of the child takes shalpe during the early stages of development ,primarily from birth to about 12 yrs.

Therefore,in my opinion,the time that a child spends from birth to about 12 yrs is the most important and best time of the life of the child.

comments: it's an organize essay but it needs to make the conclusion section more appealing.. try to paraphrase the thesis or say it in different angle, then summarize your point that you presented in the body section of your essay..and next time, pay attention with your punctuations... but you did a good job here .. hope it helps

• 2 years later...