Urch Forums

#112: Some people think that children should begin

dauwoo

#112: People think that children should begin their formal education at a very early age and should spend most of their time on school studies. Others believe that young children should spend most of their time playing. Compare these two views. Which view do you agree with? Why?

It is a debated issue when the children should go to school. Some people advocate that children should begin their formal education as soon as possible while others disagree with it. They say children should spend most of their time playing. Before rending my opinion, it is better to see the advantages of both sides.

People who agree that children should go to school at an early age think that it is helpful for exploring the children's intelligence. They believe that children will be smarter than those who study at a later age. In addition, Children in school can learn more knowledge than others, hence winning others in the future life.

People who advocate that children should spend most of their time playing think that it is more important for children to develop a good mental health. Too much time in study will make children cultivate an abnormal character in future. In addition, it can also cultivate children's a lot of interests when spending most time playing with friends or neighborhoods.

In my case, I fully agree the later argument. I went to the formal school at a later age. Thanks to my parents, I had a beautiful childhood. When I see some very little children bring their heavy schoolbag to go to school, I always feel sad in my heart. Parents desperately want to make their children be a so-called talent by bereaving their colorful time that should belong to them. It is unfair to them. After all, childhood is the most cherished time in everyone's life.

--------------

Thanks for your comments!

Hi there!

Before rending my opinion, it is better to see the advantages of both sides.

I believe that you should say your opinion at the begining.

In my case, I fully agree the later argument. I went to the formal school at a later age. Thanks to my parents, I had a beautiful childhood. When I see some very little children bring their heavy schoolbag to go to school, I always feel sad in my heart. Parents desperately want to make their children be a so-called talent by bereaving their colorful time that should belong to them. It is unfair to them. After all, childhood is the most cherished time in everyone's life.

This is 3rd body paragraph mixed with conclusion. It's bad. Your conclusion and the last paragraph should begin with words 'parents desperately want...'. But still, it isn't completed.

Your sentences are quite complicated, but overall your essay is nice and have some good ideas.

To sum up: you need better organization and more fluent sentences, you know grammar and have good ideas. Some more practise and you will write perfect essays!

Good luck. Renata

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

It is a debated issue when the children should go to school. Some people advocate that children should begin their formal education as soon as possible while others disagree with it. They say children should spend most of their time playing. Before rending my opinion, it is better to see the advantages of both sides.

People who agree that children should go to school at an early age think that it is helpful for exploring the children's intelligence. They believe that children will be smarter than those who study at a later age. In addition, Children in school can learn more knowledge than others, hence winning others in the future life.

People who advocate that children should spend most of their time playing think that it is more important for children to develop a good mental health. Too much time in study will make children cultivate an abnormal character in future. In addition, it can also cultivate children's a lot of interests when spending most time playing with friends or neighborhoods.

Score: 4.5

Although I think that TOEFL would give you a 5.0, I want to score this essay a bit lower just to be safe.

Your essay is pretty good, very easy to read, and has good ideas. However, some of your language and grammar are a bit awkward.

I agree with Renata that you should "announce" your opinion at the beginning, not at the end. Furthermore, at the beginning of your essay you say that you are going to discuss both points of view, but you discuss instead the pros and cons of going to school early, not the pros of going to school early and the pros of playing a lot when you're young. You see the difference, right? It's okay to write the way you wrote, but you should be careful about what you say you're going to do in the introduction.

Very good first essay, though!! If you follow the example of Renata, I'm sure you'll do well!! :D

Erin

Has TestMagic helped you a lot?

Please help others as they have helped you.

• 1 year later...

The topic asks to compare to opposite approaches to raising a child: playing most of the time as compared to studying most of the time. I believe that enjoying a sporting activity with your friends or relaxing is good stuff, but school is more important.

First of all, we need to examine the utility of both of these activities. Playing games helps you develop your competing spirit, socialize easier with other kids or simply have a good time. On the other hand studying reveals new things and expands your horizon. It is good to be socially adapted but it is momentous to have in-depth knowledge of a field or a wide gamut of ideas from numerous realms. The educational system provides the knowledge extension process that is indispensable to any human being. After all 99% of all that you know come from things read or told by another person and only 1% comes from personal experiences. If a boy plays all of his teens, he may find himself in his twenties that he is not capable of doing anything and cannot find a job. These are the risks that may arise from too much play.

Secondly, studying develops indisputable skills that are needed all life like: seriousity, ambition, order, motivation, logical thinking. Without these qualities you cannot expect to succeed in an intellectual resort. Playing focuses more on the physical and maybe emotional side. In the modern world, the know-how and mastery of a job counts more than having well builded muscles. That is why we need to stress out the psychological impact of learning and the educational system should accentuate in this direction.

Thirdly, if we look from the society’s point of view we clearly choose the study. The society does not need teenagers that do not know much but are outstanding in any sport. It needs intelligent individuals that can manage by themselves in the web of life and most of all can improve the living of others by their performances. Of course many people will say that intelligence is an innate quality, but I strongly disagree. Intelligence can be cultivated we only need to explore all the possibilities of specialization for a teenager. Only learning from all fields can pinpoint the purpose for any member of the society.

Finally, we cannot and should not impose our children to burn the midnight oil from five years old. Naturally, they need to play a lot, but they must have basic hours of study too. At early ages we need equilibrium in the administration of education in order to arouse the interest of the infant, not intoxicate him with information. Ideally a person should know when he finishes high-school what he wants to do professionally in life. This choice takes a lot of hard work and determination synonym with studying.

To sum up, playing is important to very young children, but from an early age we need to convince the child that only school can provide him with the knowledge and discipline required. He should even regard it as a job.

Hi napoleon and all TMians :)

This is the first time I edit an essay, so pls feel free to give out any comment.

The topic asks to compare to opposite approaches to raising a child: playing most of the time as compared to studying most of the time. I believe that enjoying a sporting activity with your friends or relaxing is good stuff, but school is more important.

I think the better way to begin any essay is to avoid repeating words and phrases already stated in the topic.

First of all, we need to examine the utility of both of these activities. Playing games helps you develop your competing spirit, socialize easier with other kids or simply have a good time. On the other hand studying reveals new things and expands your horizon. It is good to be socially adapted but it is momentous to have in-depth knowledge of a field or a wide gamut of ideas from numerous realms. The educational system provides the knowledge extension process that is indispensable to any human being. After all 99% of all that you know comecomes from things read or told by another person and only 1% comes from personal experiences.This sentence has nothing to do with the two following sentences, not to mention to make readers cannot figure out want you want to express. If a boy plays all of his teens, he may find himself in his twenties that he is not capable of doing anything and cannot find a job. These are the risks that may arise from too much play.

Secondly, studying develops indisputable skills personalities that are needed all life like: should be nothing, to my mind seriousityseriousness, ambition, order, motivation, logical thinking. Without these qualities you cannot expect to succeed in an intellectual resort. Playing focuses more on the physical and maybe emotional side. In the modern world, the know-how and mastery of a job counts more than having well builded builtmuscles. That is why we need to stress out the psychological impact of learning and the educational system should accentuate in this direction.

Thirdly, if we look from the society’s point of view we clearly choose the study. The society does not need teenagers that do not know much but are outstanding in any sport. It needs intelligent individuals that can manage by themselves in the web of life and most of all can improve the living of others by their performances. Of course many people will say that intelligence is an innate quality, but I strongly disagree. Intelligence can be cultivated we only need to explore all the possibilities of specialization for a teenager. Only learning from all fields can pinpoint the purpose for any member of the society.

Well this para is the best in your essay. :)

Finally, we cannot and should not impose our children to burn the midnight oil from five years old. Naturally, they need to play a lot, but they must have basic hours of study too. At early ages we need equilibrium in the administration of education in order to arouse the interest of the infant, not intoxicate him with information. Ideally a person should know when he finishes high-school what he wants to do professionally in life. This choice takes a lot of hard work and determination synonym with studying.

IMO you should phase out this para because the earlier paras are enough, and this para is so confused making me wonder which idea you agree.

To sum up, playing is important to very young children, but from an early age we need to convince the child that only school can provide him with the knowledge and discipline required. He should even regard it as a job.

Nothing to say about your final words. :)

IMHO you always can get 5.0 in TWE. [bounce]

word choice mistakes

grammar mistakes

vague sentences

my little idea

Hi DreamsComeTrues (By the way I love your username :) )

First of all I appreciate that you correct my essays. I believe you were right in the judgments regarding this masterpiece. Probably I should have cut the forth para and get a 6.0 :). Although I found the topic rather difficult my aim is a 6.0 (I am still upset from my 5.0 at issue at GRE and I want revenge).

That is about it

#112: People think that children should begin their formal education at a very early age and should spend most of their time on school studies. Others believe that young children should spend most of their time playing. Compare these two views. Which view do you agree with? Why?

Hi, all!!

please give some comments and advices. Thanks !:D

Education is a key word of modem society, and it plays a vital role in everyone’s life. Some people think formal education is of primary importance to children at early age, while others prefer to let them spend most of time in playing. I am in favor of the point that let children have most of their own time playing. Since I believe that playing is another form of education to children, and it’s crucial in shaping of children.

Firstly, playing provide a chance to let children know the world, and develop some essential personalities. At our early age, each of us is very curious about everything surrounding us, because our understanding of the world is still remains in a very initial grade. Though playing, we can learn some very basic but essential concepts, logic and characters about the world. For instance, and we learn that it’s important to obey the rules of games in the games. Also, in the games, we understand the importance of friendship, and we have to cooperate to cope with difficulties or “fight against” the enemies. Moreover, sports games teach us we should challenge ourselves and confront the challenge of the others, and to do our best to win the game. All these qualities are the basic personalities what an adult should own in society.

Secondly, we can explore some very unique talents of ourselves. Generally, a formal education is to teach some standard course and grating in a very formula way. If a child received a formal education at his early age, he/she was deprived a chance to discover and develop his/her own special talents. Suppose that Mozart’s parent let him to receive the formal education during his childhood, could we still listen to his beautiful music? Imagine that, rather than playing soccer in fields, David Beckham was having class in a classroom everyday in his early age, could we have a great skillful soccer star today? Children should own this chance to search what their potential advantages and advance in fun, since this chance might lead to success in their future adult world.

Originally posted by dauwoo

The most enjoyable part of one's life is childhood, when one has very little responsibilities and duties. Whether to spend this time usefully by starting education or to spend this time purposefully by playing and enjoying is largely a matter of personal choice and is quite a difficult decision to make. But I personally prefer the choice that students must spend their early time for playing and enjoying the happiness of life, because early part of childhood is when learning may not be the most interesting and suitable occupation to take up, when physical and social skills develop, and when one has the least burden in life.

Let us first consider the positive aspects of starting education at an early age. The most obvious advantage will be that children will be able to quickly grasp new ideas and information when they are young and their minds are fresh. Several psychologists and scientists have affirmed the fact that young children are better able to learn new things. The best example of their cognitive ability can be understood by the fact that children learn their mother tongue just by listening to their parents. If they can learn a language by listening to words and phrases, learning a subject by reading the book should be very easy. Also, children get more time to correct their approach to studies. Parents can guide them properly and in many cases, can be more effective teachers. At the same time, when children get accustomed to studying, working parents can be more relieved of their future.

But must the most enjoyable period of one's life be spent for studies and learning subjects, rather than doing things that one likes, such as playing and enjoying with family and friends? Perhaps not. After all, our education systems are not flexible enough to adapt to the needs and abilities of various students. What are we taught to do in most schools? Just to study some standard information and reproduce it in exams. Students are not made to think on their own. If that were done, then making students learn at early stages of childhood could help. Even then, children below 6 years or so do not have to start studying or learning things to make them think. They can also do that later in life. Given the standard education system and lack of opportunities to think, learning at an early age will not be an interesting thing to do. It will be something that is thrusted upon the children.

Perhaps the most valid reason I see for children to spend their ealy childhood by playing and enjoying is that it is the period when they get to identify new friends. They mingle with lot of people and their social skills are enhanced. They can of course and in fact have to develop social skills in school but social skills can be learnt at an early age. For example, I know of a child in my neighborhood who used to be aloof with others and when he grew up and went to school, he had trouble socializing with others. Playing and enjoying time with friends also helps in the development of physical and mental skills of the child and also his/her character.

Life is to enjoy and the best period to do that is childhood. Today, life has become mechanized and people are made to labor for their food. They work hard and face so many problems in their daily life. Childhood is one period where they don't have to face any such burden. Let us not put them into the shackles of education and rob their freedom, because early childhood is when there is less burden, when education may be uninteresting and uncalled for and when one's overall personality has to develop for him/her to be successful in life.

Hello Erin and TM Staff,

This is my second essay to TestMagic. I am writing the exam in a couple of weeks from now. Please rate this and let me know your approximate score. Let me know of your suggestions. Also evaluate my previous essay (topic No.5) and please clarify the doubts that I had asked in the reply to your suggestions to that essay. Thank you very much for your efforts.

Achiever

Originally posted by Achiever

The most enjoyable part of one's life is childhood, when one has very little responsibilities and duties. Whether to spend this time usefully by starting education or to spend this time purposefully by playing and enjoying is largely a matter of personal choice and is quite a difficult decision to make. But I personally prefer the choice that students must spend their early time for playing and enjoying the happiness of life, because early part of childhood is when learning may not be the most interesting and suitable occupation to take up, when physical and social skills develop, and when one has the least burden in life.

Let us first consider the positive aspects of starting education at an early age. The most obvious advantage will be that children will be able to quickly grasp new ideas and information when they are young and their minds are fresh. Several psychologists and scientists have affirmed the fact that young children are better able to learn new things. The best example of their cognitive ability can be understood by the fact that children learn their mother tongue just by listening to their parents. If they can learn a language by listening to words and phrases, learning a subject by reading the book should be very easy. Also, children get more time to correct their approach to studies. Parents can guide them properly and in many cases, can be more effective teachers. At the same time, when children get accustomed to studying, working parents can be more relieved of their future.

But must the most enjoyable period of one's life be spent for studies and learning subjects, rather than doing things that one likes, such as playing and enjoying with family and friends? Perhaps not. After all, our education systems are not flexible enough to adapt to the needs and abilities of various students. What are we taught to do in most schools? Just to study some standard information and reproduce it in exams. Students are not made to think on their own. If that were done, then making students learn at early stages of childhood could help. Even then, children below 6 years or so do not have to start studying or learning things to make them think. They can also do that later in life. Given the standard education system and lack of opportunities to think, learning at an early age will not be an interesting thing to do. It will be something that is thrusted upon the children.

Perhaps the most valid reason I see for children to spend their ealy childhood by playing and enjoying is that it is the period when they get to identify new friends. They mingle with lot of people and their social skills are enhanced. They can of course and in fact have to develop social skills in school but social skills can be learnt at an early age. For example, I know of a child in my neighborhood who used to be aloof with others and when he grew up and went to school, he had trouble socializing with others. Playing and enjoying time with friends also helps in the development of physical and mental skills of the child and also his/her character.

Life is to enjoy and the best period to do that is childhood. Today, life has become mechanized and people are made to labor for their food. They work hard and face so many problems in their daily life. Childhood is one period where they don't have to face any such burden. Let us not put them into the shackles of education and rob their freedom, because early childhood is when there is less burden, when education may be uninteresting and uncalled for and when one's overall personality has to develop for him/her to be successful in life.

Hello Erin and TM Staff,

This is my second essay to TestMagic. I am writing the exam in a couple of weeks from now. Please rate this and let me know your approximate score. Let me know of your suggestions. Also evaluate my previous essay (topic No.5) and please clarify the doubts that I had asked in the reply to your suggestions to that essay. Thank you very much for your efforts.

Achiever

Hi, Achiever.

I think the thing for you to focus on in this essay is the focus. What I mean by that is that, although the paper raises some good points, it is very difficult to find the main ideas easily.

Clarity is always the key to helping your reader understand what you're trying to say, and the introduction is the first chance you have to be clear. Take that chance. Be direct and state your points. You don't need to use simple vocabulary, (in fact, you shouldn't oversimplify that part of your essay writing), but you should state your point of view and main points concisely in the introduction.

In the body, you dedicate quite a bit of space to the advantages of early education, although it is clear from the rest of your essay that you take the opposing view. I think that you would serve your needs better by answering the question more directly.

In this type of question it might be best to set up the body so that the first paragraph deals with the advantages, the second, the disadvantages and the third, your personal opinions regarding the topic. I think that you've attempted to do that, but the middle of the essay is a bit muddled. You are saying a lot without really saying what you want to.

Remedy this by always remembering your point of view/your focus.

The conclusion of the essay is quite strong in that it lets the reader know what your point of view is. Take this idea even further by restating your main points here. (What are your main points? Always keep them in mind.)

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

Originally posted by powerplane

Hi, all!!

please give some comments and advices. Thanks !:D

Education is a key word of modem society, and it plays a vital role in everyone’s life. Some people think formal education is of primary importance to children at early age, while others prefer to let them spend most of time in playing. I am in favor of the point that let children have most of their own time playing. Since I believe that playing is another form of education to children, and it’s crucial in shaping of children.

Firstly, playing provide a chance to let children know the world, and develop some essential personalities. At our early age, each of us is very curious about everything surrounding us, because our understanding of the world is still remains in a very initial grade. Though playing, we can learn some very basic but essential concepts, logic and characters about the world. For instance, and we learn that it’s important to obey the rules of games in the games. Also, in the games, we understand the importance of friendship, and we have to cooperate to cope with difficulties or “fight against” the enemies. Moreover, sports games teach us we should challenge ourselves and confront the challenge of the others, and to do our best to win the game. All these qualities are the basic personalities what an adult should own in society.

Secondly, we can explore some very unique talents of ourselves. Generally, a formal education is to teach some standard course and grating in a very formula way. If a child received a formal education at his early age, he/she was deprived a chance to discover and develop his/her own special talents. Suppose that Mozart’s parent let him to receive the formal education during his childhood, could we still listen to his beautiful music? Imagine that, rather than playing soccer in fields, David Beckham was having class in a classroom everyday in his early age, could we have a great skillful soccer star today? Children should own this chance to search what their potential advantages and advance in fun, since this chance might lead to success in their future adult world.

Hi, Powerplane.

You have a good start here, but I would recommend, first, that you work on your introduction a bit. Although your point of view seems quite clear, the main points are not.

State them directly and then dedicate the paragraphs of the body of your essay to them, in the order which they were stated (in the introduction).

The body provides some good examples, but you should inform the reader as to what they are examples of. For consideration: Is your first paragraph about education? personality development? knowledge of the world? Pick one and expand on it, rather than allude to all three.

There is no conclusion to this essay. You've simply ended with your second main idea. You always need a conclusion to tie together all of the information that you've presented. Start another paragraph and restate your main ideas. Sum it up with a sentence or two, thereby, once more, driving your opinion/point of view home to the reader.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff

To TM_staff:

Thanks, your opinions are very helpful to me. Following your suggestions, I have my essay modified: I improve my introdution, and add a conclusion.

----------------------------------

Education is a key word of modem society, and it plays a vital role in everyone’s life. Some think formal education is of primary importance to children at early age, while others prefer to let them spend most of time in playing. I am in favor of the point that let children have most of their own time playing. Because, playing is crucial to personality development, and moreover, help to discover talents of children.

In short, schooling is perhaps the most normal but not the only effective form of education. We should renew our general concept of education, and recognized that playing in childhood is much more constructive than formal education. So, just let your children have some playing, let them to learn, explore, discover, develop their own in fun!

• 3 months later...

Topic #112:

People think that children should begin their formal education at a very

early age and should spend most of their time on school studies. Others

believe that young children should spend most of their time playing.

Compare these two views. Which view do you agree with? Why?

People sometimes talk about the advantages and disadvantages of early

education. With regard to this issue, I personally oppose to it for the

children's mental and body health.

First of all, in the aspects of education, early education is clearly

beneficial to children. Children can learn many things about foreign

languages, mathematics. But if children spend their time in playing,

they can not learn many things when it is compared to spending their time

in education. For instance, I have seen many students who can not still

read or write my mother language.

Nextly, when it comes to health of children, spending their time in

playing is much better. It would make the children healthier in body and

mental. But spending their time in studying is likely to make them hate

studying. For example, there are many children who hate learning english

because their parents force them to study english since their young.

In conclusion, the determination of spending children in studying

or playing is up to their parents. These 2 cases have its own advantages

and disadvantages and parents must consider these advantages and

disadvantages prudently before their choice. Although studying is better

in the aspect of education, it also has the danger of making their children

hate studying. On the other hand, playing is better when it comes to

health. In spite of the advantages of studying, I have the opinion that

playing is much better because I place more priority on the healthy.