Urch Forums

New format for toefl ibt speaking questions after February 2010

Pharm D

Agree with Mr.Jason

There are noticeable changes for the first question of the speaking section....

I think they have added a new type to their question pool....

It was sth like

Which one of these choices would you prefer/not prefer or like/not like or something similar...:

1st choice

2nd choice

3rd choice

So when preparing for the exam just consider that type too...

Thanks for the info/confirmation.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask if you can recall the framing of the question?

Was it:

A. Which of the following three would you not like... (a, b, or c)?

or

B. What would you not like ... (for example a, b, or c)?

It's an important difference, because A is framed in a way which means you MUST address one of the three options. B, on the other hand, is suggesting three options but they are there as suggestions only and you could choose one of them or choose a different topic.

It really does have me baffled, because if question 1 now asks you to choose between three options, it's basically a CLOSED topic type (like question 2), but ETS have always claimed question 1 is an "open choice" topic.

Arrrggh! Why are ETS changing the rules as they go? Students have a right to know what to expect!

~ Jason

Hi Jason,

I agree that there is definitely some change in the speaking pattern. First, I have experienced the change on Jan 30 which you guys are talking about.

It was like:

Which of these A, B, C would you not like.......

Second, I have experience it again this saturday ( on April 10th). This time it was like:

For the first question:

Which one of the following do you choose as a career and why?

Choice A

Choice B

Choice C

For the second question:

Which one of the following do you prefer and why?

Choice A

Choice B

Choice C

Hope this helps!!!!

This is definitely new type of format for the first two questions. I was also surprised to look at the new pattern. Nevertheless, I did well and Hopefully I will get through this time by the grace of God Almighty. The horse is made ready for the day of battle but the victory belongs to God.

Hi all,

I also subscribed in Jason website.....I went through this websites and information JUST for 15 days..... I could score 27 in speaking.......... If I had known Mr.Jason's website and his valuable information to pass speaking early, then I would have score 26 long time back........ Listen guys....just follow Mr.Jason's instruction......he is really great english teacher..........

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I wrote the toefl exam. I feel that reading section was very tough. But unfortunately I didnot answer the 6 questions in Reading section. But the the remaining sections I felt that I did good. Please could you

let me whether I will get 21 out of 30 for FPGEC.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
I think there is a change. I took the exam yesterday and the first question was like do you agree or disagree..funny thing was my first and second question were the same senario!!!about the smae topic,just the way question was asked was different

• 1 month later...

I just joined a new forum which really gave me useful information about TOEFL, IELTS and many other tests like GMAT, GRE. best thing that i found was the introduction of each test was there. I got even fee structure there. that was devilspot.com • Index page

Though name seems as you will find something else but its full of information that a new user have to search on so many webs. here you can find all the info and can even download for free...

Enjoy

To Mr Jason Ranshaw,

I want to know how works your web pages if I suscribe?? especially mentor program speaking and writing. How can I open an account ? you send a clue? How much time does it take after I pay to have acces to my account?

thanks

Your account is already up and you have access to it - so in answer to your main question: it takes less time to set and access than it does to reply to a question on a forum!

:-)

Thanks, and I'm really happy to have you in my mentor program. But please do refrain from using the Test Magic forums for correspondence of this nature - you now have my email address. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
One of my online TOEFL students took the exam a couple of months ago. And here is one of the questions she was asked: "Compare two artists. Use examples to explain your response." I would not wish this question on my worst enemy. Even native speakers would have difficulties answering this question, especially since compare and contrast requires a specific type of organization. And they would also have to come up with examples of two artists.

• 1 year later...
Hellow Sir. Well I have my test of TOEFL on 15th February 2014. Need help in speaking skills. Kindly guide Please. I will be waiting for your reply. I do enter your English i tutor address in URL but sir its not working at all. If u don't mind please do send me your ID of Skype. Or sir please tell me any of your student ID or number so i will coordinate with them. I would highly appreciate it... I really really need help in speaking section of TOEFL. zoha.