Urch Forums

internship and visas

bf67ac

just received my FPGEC and looking for an internship. The thing that I need to ask about is whether we do need an intern license from the board of pharmacy to do paid/unpaid internship?

Can we do this paid/unpaid internship using the b1/b2 visa? I will really appreciate it if anybody knows anything related to this matter. tc

I only know that you can't work if you have b1/b2 type of visa because as a tourist you are not eligible to work in the States. You need to get an H1 (working) visa or a green card (through employment) and for that you need to find a sponsor who will guarantee for you to obtain one of them.

Yes you need intern license and work visa (H1) to do internship, You need to be paid in H1 visa as per law. You can not work (Internship either paid/unpaid) in B1/B2.

just received my FPGEC and looking for an internship. The thing that I need to ask about is whether we do need an intern license from the board of pharmacy to do paid/unpaid internship?

Can we do this paid/unpaid internship using the b1/b2 visa? I will really appreciate it if anybody knows anything related to this matter. tc

FPGEC alone doesn't qualify your for internship. You first need to pass TOEFL/TSE, NAPLEX, and MPJE. State Board of Pharmacy will then issue the internship card after submitting application signed by a preceptor. Visitor visa (B1/B2) doesn't qualify you to work or do your internship hours. You will need an employer to first sponsor your H1 visa (above reply by smileysilvia is detailed and correct). Best of Luck

FPGEC alone doesn't qualify your for internship. You first need to pass TOEFL/TSE, NAPLEX, and MPJE. State Board of Pharmacy will then issue the internship card after submitting application signed by a preceptor. Visitor visa (B1/B2) doesn't qualify you to work or do your internship hours. You will need an employer to first sponsor your H1 visa (above reply by smileysilvia is detailed and correct). Best of Luck

I believe that you need to pass FPGEE and TOEFL (before or after it, doesn't matter) to get FPGEC, and with that certificate you find a sponsor for internship (1500 hours) and working visa (H1B). After doing internship hours you need to pass NAPLEX and MPJE in order to get license.

Hello there,

what is the average time it takes for an immigrant to find internship after being certified ( FPGEE & TOEFL are completed)? And how much do I expect to earn per hour during my internship?

Besides, am I eligible as an intern to work overtime?

Thanks in advance for reading my post...

Are you sure RPhmanager that FPGEC alone doesn't qualify for internship?As far as i know once you pass both FPGEE and TOEFL you are qualified to apply as intern pharmacist.Unless if you are in Texas state where NABP allow the FPGEE and TOEFL passer to take NAPLEX even no internship.I think in Texas, you can have internhip after you pass NAPLEX.As i understood from OP's post that she/he just received FPGEC and looking for internship means that she/he got already her certificate from NABP.That means that she passed already both FPGEE and TOEFLiBT coz NABP issued FPGEC.I know that once i pass FPGEE & TOEFL i need to apply internship and finish the 1500 hrs. of required internship of my state where i belong in order for me to be qualified to take NAPLEX.That's what i read on NABP site.Anyway,i dont know much about working visa requirement for internship.But i think once you have FPGEC and apply for internship then if you apply in a retail pharmacy as intern pharmacist,if they are willing to hire you and file working visa for applicant then that's good.After working visa approve applicant can work and finish the internship hours so that applicant can take another step which is taking NAPLEX then MPJE to be a US license pharmacist.

Hello there,

what is the average time it takes for an immigrant to find internship after being certified ( FPGEE & TOEFL are completed)? And how much do I expect to earn per hour during my internship?

Maybe it depends in an area where you looking for internship.I know someone that she got hired as intern pharmacist after passing FPGEE and TOEFL while waiting her FPGEC from NABP.It took her 2 months to received her FPGEC after she cleared both exams.She paid $17/hr as intern pharmacist then she will have $ 30+/hr. after completing the state internship hours required then once she pass the NAPLEX her salary will be $50+/hr. as license pharmacist.I don't know if she is allowed overtime work.I think you can read on the site of how many hours you are allowed to work as intern pharmacist in 1 week to complete the state intership hours requirement.It's better to read the state board of pharmacy rules and regulations regarding intership hours cause i read something before that they have specific hours for interns to work in 1 week to be counted to complete intership.

• Like 1

Hello there,

3. Any individual who has established educational equivalency by obtaining a Foreign

Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) certificate for the purpose of

obtaining practical experience for licensure as a pharmacist.

© Licenses shall be valid for five (5) years or until such intern is expelled, suspended,

dismissed or withdraws from an approved school, becomes licensed as a pharmacist, or

has taken and failed the Board examination for the third tine, whichever comes first.

Intern licenses may be renewed at the discretion of the Board.

1. Individuals who have established educational equivalency by meeting the requirements

of Rule 480-2-.02 must obtain 1500 hours of practical pharmacy experience under the

instruction of a licensed pharmacist. The minimum number of intership hours that will be

accepted is twenty (20) hours worked in any week. The maximum number of internship

hours worked that will be accepted is fifty (50) hours worked in any week.

This is only for Georgia board of pharmacy.Geo1syria if you mean if you are eligible to work overtime as intern (for monetary reason) maybe it depends of your employer if they allow that but if the reason so that you could finish internship hours earlier i think you better check your state maximum internship hours work that will be accepted in a week.Like in Georgia where i lived,the maximum hours is 50 hours in a week.So if the employer will allow me to work more than 50 hrs. a week then my state board will count only 50 hours and the rest hours that i work overtime will not accepted.But if employer allow me to work overtime then why not,i don't care if overtime not counted for intership as long as every week paycheck is good.

Thanks Cro, but is it hard to get a voluntary one ?

I don't know if I understood well your question? You need to get working visa no matter if your internship will be paid or unpaid (voluntary). The procedure is the same for both, sponsor needs to guarantee for you in order to apply for a visa. And as I read the forum, I see that it's hard to find internship for foreign grads (paid/unpaid). I'm still in the procedure of getting the FPGEC so don't have my own experience in that.

Hope that helps. ;)

Are you sure RPhmanager that FPGEC alone doesn't qualify for internship?As far as i know once you pass both FPGEE and TOEFL you are qualified to apply as intern pharmacist.Unless if you are in Texas state where NABP allow the FPGEE and TOEFL passer to take NAPLEX even no internship.I think in Texas, you can have internhip after you pass NAPLEX.As i understood from OP's post that she/he just received FPGEC and looking for internship means that she/he got already her certificate from NABP.That means that she passed already both FPGEE and TOEFLiBT coz NABP issued FPGEC.I know that once i pass FPGEE & TOEFL i need to apply internship and finish the 1500 hrs. of required internship of my state where i belong in order for me to be qualified to take NAPLEX.That's what i read on NABP site.Anyway,i dont know much about working visa requirement for internship.But i think once you have FPGEC and apply for internship then if you apply in a retail pharmacy as intern pharmacist,if they are willing to hire you and file working visa for applicant then that's good.After working visa approve applicant can work and finish the internship hours so that applicant can take another step which is taking NAPLEX then MPJE to be a US license pharmacist.

I believe that you are right topaz. I also read a lot of stuff regarding licensing procedure and it's exactly as you described it. RPhmanager got confused with the terms FPGEE and FPGEC (which is issued after we pass FPGEE and TOEFL); and also NAPLEX and MPJE need to be passed after doing internship hours (in majority of states). :whistle:

• Like 1

You are right Cro also MPJE except :

Currently, 46 jurisdictions utilize the MPJE as part of their licensure requirements.

(Arkansas, California, Guam, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Virginia, and the Virgin Islands do not participate. Contact the board of pharmacy for law examination requirements in those jurisdictions. South Dakota began administering the MPJE February 1, 2010.)

Yeah RPhmanager got confused with the terms FPGEE and FPGEC.

I do agree with topaz. He mentioned every step correctly and in order.

I'm a foreign pharmacist in Louisiana, the maximum hours for internship here is 50 hours/week. But I don't think you need a work visa to do your internship as a volunteer (need confirmation about this). I passed TOEFL iBT and took FPGEE in Sep2010, still waiting for my results.

If I pass, I will call Louisiana board of pharmacy to ask if they accept internship hours without SSN.

If I find a volunteer work, I will need also to ask when I can start counting those hours?

After posting FPGEE results on NABP website, or after receiving FPGEC certificate, or after getting a deficiency letter from the board?

"I said a deficiency letter NOT an internship license because I don't have SSN"

Anyone is welcomed to share his experience.

Hi Smiley1982,

I am also in Louisiana. I called the board and I was told that they accept hours as volunteer( the only thing is that you cannot start counting unless you have an intern license....which requires a SSN). So....we are back to square one.

Also they told me that the intern license is available only for one year. So it's not wise to apply for one unless you have an offer.

Where are you located in Louisiana?

Carmen

• 11 years later...