HOW to Improve your Reading Comprehension Skills

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any literature sources to read in order to improve reading comprehension.

I had 233 wpm and 91%,I think one has to have 300 wpm in order to beat gmat.

Leave references in your posts,there should be some appropriate and interesting (if possible) literature to be read in order to improve reading skills.

cheers

639, 91%.

But I don't think that is an ETS-style test--it relies too much on pure memory and not at all on reasoning.

Don't waste your money; it most certainly won't work. If it really worked, it'd be used in classes already. The best way to improve your comprehension is by increasing the overall familiarity you have with the material. Since the tests we study for try to use subjects that are very specific and therefore not familiar to most people, you need to try to become familiar with certain styles of writing, complex grammar, and high-level vocabulary.

In a word, practice and concentrate. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

"Concentrate, must you all try!!!"

Is it possible to tame a full-grown wild tiger? Or can you lose an accent after speaking the age of 25? You sure can, but it's gonna take a "loooooooooot" of work and it won't be natural. All that I'm implying is that you can increase your reading speed by practice but you still will maintain your natural level of comprehension to some extent...just like how your IQ never changes. So your best bet is familiarity with the passages - try reading as much as possible between now and the time you take the exam - especially articles on your pc screen.

May the 800 force be with you all!!!

409 wpm 73%, I dont think it help much. My speed and comprehension is quite good at easy topic, but my comprehension down so much with hard paragraph with no structure (I got 2 like that in my real gmat). As Erin said, you must concentrate on hard passage with hard structure, it would help

oh by the way, i took the reading test.. 285 words/min...100% reading comp.. but of course, i know this is very much different than what we have in GMAT. nevertheless, i think i have to increase my reading speed. again, thanks for the post.

is anyone here currently based in tokyo? am looking for a study partner on weekends.

"I will soon add some great articles closely resembling the GMAT level. I have taken them from The ECONOMIST, THE TIME, BBC and many other Websites. But the size is too large to Upload them here. But soon will find the way to do it."

007 did you ever do the above?? I searched the posts and did not find anything.

I did the test and was 356wpm at 60%, so I guess I should slow down. I am looking forward to implementing the techniques you gave. Thank you for all your help! Many blessings!!!!

Hi! I'm really glad to actually to have read this thread. Reading Comprehension is my weakest area! I got 85%+ both for my SC & CR, but only 40% in RC @ my Kaplan Diagnostic.

Anyway, I took the reading test and it was 363wpm at 55%. I tried the chunk text reading with the test again and I realized that I skipped some words during the 1st time.

Mine is 325 wpm with 91% accuracy! I am really stuck in RC..in all my practice tests..i hv been losing on RC only...i am actually stuck in inference questions! I think there is a big difference between reading from [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and reading online..is [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] RC available online? if yes can anybody send me the link!

• 1 month later...

I'm not that good in RC either. Of course, that is all relative to SC and CR, where I'm pretty strong.

I think I've hit a point where I don't think I can get significantly better; I can only try to make notes of how I make mistakes and cut down on them.

348 WPM/82% accuracy.

Folks, I took PP1 and got 660 with only a 32 in verbal. I immediately knew after the test that I need to work on RC. Had to guess the last 2-3 questions to complete.

Looks like RC can be improved with practice.. If there are any specific tips, it would greatly help..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...