Urch Forums

HOW to Improve your Reading Comprehension Skills

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Jamesbond007

I have always realized problem with my reading speed but have never done anything substantial about it. This material is really helpful. In the test my speed was 206wpm with 82%. Comprehension may be even less as lot of the questions were kind of logical.

But I am sure material would help in improving the speed as well as comprehension.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

As ETS puts it in OG , 'For RC , understanding is more important than speed'. I don't believe one needs a speed of 300 wpm to do well in RC

Look at the breakup of questions

15 SC * 1.25 ~ 20 minutes

12 CR * 1.5 ~ 20 minutes

14 RC * 2 ~ 30 minutes (including reading and answering the questions)

still 5 minutes to spare ! , add these 5 minutes to RC or which ever section one needs more time to answer

• 3 weeks later...

hey,

im taking my gmat in nov and am working on my RC (my weakest part).. im trying to do all the questions from OG.. but i may not be able to finish all of them ..

wnated to know if the questions become harder as we progress .. as in, are the laterr half of the quest tougher than the earlier ones ?

thanks

kack

I think reading speed and comprehension are important for the RC, but IMO there is another factor: it is hard to explain in words exactly, but you need to "get the hang" of how ETS presents a RC question and its 5 accompanying answer choices.

Getting the hang of it naturally involved doing the RC questions in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], and reading the explainations for them. There are patterns in how ETS presents a question and the answer choices. Again, I could not state explictly what they are, but after doing several of the RC questions in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], I began to sort of sense these patterns. Sometimes I was able to guess what answer was right and what was wrong by "gut feel". I was not 100% accurate, but was much better than 20% accurate (i.e. better than random guessing) by the time I had finished the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

What I am saying is, success in RC is about general reading speed and comprehension, a skill we all use everyday. But it is also about skills that are unique to the GMAT RC. Doing better in the RC involves both improving our gerneral reading skills, and learning the specific GMAT RC quirks.

Sorry if this sounds a bit zen-like and mystical, but after working on all the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] RC questions, hopefully you will develop this sense.

I think reading speed and comprehension are important for the RC, but IMO there is another factor: it is hard to explain in words exactly, but you need to "get the hang" of how ETS presents a RC question and its 5 accompanying answer choices.

Getting the hang of it naturally involved doing the RC questions in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], and reading the explainations for them. There are patterns in how ETS presents a question and the answer choices. Again, I could not state explictly what they are, but after doing several of the RC questions in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], I began to sort of sense these patterns. Sometimes I was able to guess what answer was right and what was wrong by "gut feel". I was not 100% accurate, but was much better than 20% accurate (i.e. better than random guessing) by the time I had finished the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

What I am saying is, success in RC is about general reading speed and comprehension, a skill we all use everyday. But it is also about skills that are unique to the GMAT RC. Doing better in the RC involves both improving our gerneral reading skills, and learning the specific GMAT RC quirks.

Sorry if this sounds a bit zen-like and mystical, but after working on all the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] RC questions, hopefully you will develop

this sense.

I really agree with u. Sometimes u don't need to read the passage at all to ans. the Q, if u get the 'feel' of ETS ansa.

• 2 months later...

Hi people,

I have just started tracking mesg in this part of the forum. I need the masters of RC to help me with a problem: I jhave a good reading speed and can also comprehend well, but somehow when answering the Rc questions I am hardly 50% correct. I some how confuse on the content and just screw up.

Also my score is 215wpm at 64% accuracy. I could have read faster than this but, would have resulted in a far lower accuracy. :-

Help needed!!! :)

I have few suggestions on RC. At least I am going to use those.

I never have problem completing the Verbal section and I do save time in the end.

I know people are talking about the readin speed here but this is little bit opposite.

This is what I think we should do.

1. Read RC passages a little bit slowly compared with the way you read SC and CR. Of course you should not spend too much time but definitely you can spend some extra time if you are good at SC and CR.

2. When RC pops up, first see the question on the right hand side. In that way you will have 1st question in your mind and when you come across the similar wording while reading the passage you will have the answer for the 1st Q.

I will say instead of reading too fast and comprehending nothing or very little in the end confuse people more.

Stay calm and just read the passage little bit slowly.

See if it helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

very useful...

Thanks

Ahmed Naguib

ahmed.naguib@ncr.com

Hi Guys and Gals,

When I took GMAT first time, I came to know that my biggest weakness lies in Reading Comprehension. URSULA helped me a lot in guiding about how to get maximum from RC questions. I tried to work on those strategies. You all can find those strategies in her one of the post. I will paste here the link later on. But I still found that my main problem is not the comprehension but the speed. Due to slow reading speed, I used to become panic, particularly at the end of test. So I found my main weakpoint. It was slow reading Speed. I did some research on it.

Step - 1: Measure your current Reading Speed.

Go to following Link. Take a Speed Reading Test. If it is less than 200 WPM, then you have to really think of increasing your Reading Speed. But Don't worry. Do not buy any Speed Reading Software. It is very expensive to increase your reading speed. Read my Step2 and Step3 below.

http://www.readingsoft.com/

Step - 2: How to Improve your Reading Speed.

See my attachments HOW to Increase Speed - I, II, III

Practise daily with those suggestions.

Step - 3: How to Improve your Reading Comprehension.

See my attachment HOW to improve Reading Comprehension.

I will soon add some great articles closely resembling the GMAT level. I have taken them from The ECONOMIST, THE TIME, BBC and many other Websites. But the size is too large to Upload them here. But soon will find the way to do it.

All the best guys.

JamesBond007

• 4 weeks later...

my first day of joining...i went thru the link james has given.. i got 191 wpm and 91% accuracy. being the first test of my preparation i wanted to have most of it right.But I doubt the material that comes in test is of the same level.

Can some one post what kind of material generally they give in the test...???

thanks a lot james..for a gudstart..:)

• 2 weeks later...