Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to getting through this app season with all of you guys! May the best make it, and the rest squeeze through.

Unfortunately, all GRE dates are booked up, I'll be taking mine on 20th of Nov, therefore there are about 6 schools (from my list of 12) that I may or may not apply to depending on my GRE results. Have any of you been in this situation before? Any advice? Thanks!

p.s - i'm applying to all masters programs - so I guess the deadlines are generally a month of two later.

Looking forward to getting through this app season with all of you guys! May the best make it, and the rest squeeze through.

Unfortunately, all GRE dates are booked up, I'll be taking mine on 20th of Nov, therefore there are about 6 schools (from my list of 12) that I may or may not apply to depending on my GRE results. Have any of you been in this situation before? Any advice? Thanks!

p.s - i'm applying to all masters programs - so I guess the deadlines are generally a month of two later.

Having to wait until Nov 20th to take the GRE sounds a bit harsh. Do you live in the US? If so and if all the test centers are booked in your area, it might be worthwhile to invest in a trip to the next nearby test center with available dates.You'll have to pay for transportation and lodging, but if you really want to have a chance at getting in those 6 schools it might be worth it.

going to be applying for next fall as well! good to know that i'm not alone. i'll be applying to all masters programs.

Do any of you know if there is a section during the application process where your LOR writers list their highest education obtained? Or does it vary with each school? Basically, I am in a position where I can have an awesome letter from a manager (with no PhD) that I worked under VS. an OK letter from a partner that I worked with (with a PhD). If there isn't a spot for highest education obtained, then I will, of course go with the glowing letter!

going to be applying for next fall as well! good to know that i'm not alone. i'll be applying to all masters programs.

Do any of you know if there is a section during the application process where your LOR writers list their highest education obtained? Or does it vary with each school? Basically, I am in a position where I can have an awesome letter from a manager (with no PhD) that I worked under VS. an OK letter from a partner that I worked with (with a PhD). If there isn't a spot for highest education obtained, then I will, of course go with the glowing letter!

They will put down their current position and title. Alsobe aware that letters from people outside of economics and people who have not been successfull in a. PhD program are heavily discounted if considered at all

They will put down their current position and title. Alsobe aware that letters from people outside of economics and people who have not been successfull in a. PhD program are heavily discounted if considered at all

Well aware of that, which is a good thing since I have no interest in a future career versed in Academia (I am only applying to US Master's programs)

Well aware of that, which is a good thing since I have no interest in a future career versed in Academia (I am only applying to US Master's programs)

The MA program at my school requires two academic LORs, one of which must be an Economist. I'm not sure if we are unique in that regard, but you should contact the schools you are applying to and find out the specifics about submitting LORs

I am just going to take the GRE on October 3rd. I am way too nervous (the first time I did it, it was January 2nd and I was very sick; I was still admitted in my master because everything else was stellar). I will apply to 7 (maybe 8, I still need to speak with a professor who cana accurately tell me the schools I should apply).

I have heard the Master in UBC Canada is great, but I cannot pursue another master if I want funding from my government.

Any rumors about the funding in some ~Top20 places this year? (or last year info) I have 25 potential programs, including some B-schools, on the shortlist abd I'll be happy (and I have to) to get rid of those which won't provide too generous funding this year. I'm particularly concerned with funding at Chicago, Berkeley and English programs.

shaynaalice - just start a new thread on the PhD in Economics forum for your profile evaluation and post your profile as you would in the roll call. Make sure all the sections are reasonably complete, and ask any specific questions you have.

Also - you may want to browse past profiles here for help:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/144323-old-roll-calls-profiles-results.html

The graduate department at my current masters' institution keeps sending us emails encouraging us grad students to take teaching positions in the local prisons in order to gain teaching experience.

I can't help but thinking that it could be a little awkward teaching economics in a prison. In particular, the lesson on prisoner's dilemma might not go over so well...