Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The graduate department at my current masters' institution keeps sending us emails encouraging us grad students to take teaching positions in the local prisons in order to gain teaching experience.

I can't help but thinking that it could be a little awkward teaching economics in a prison. In particular, the lesson on prisoner's dilemma might not go over so well...

Perhaps Becker's rational crime model might go down better. You can start with this quote, "A mugger is a mugger for the same reason I am a professor-because that profession makes him better off, by his own standards, than any other alternative available to him."

A la Freakonomics, you could also ask how many of them deal (used to deal) drugs and how many of them live with their mums (when not living in prison, of course).

Since there are only 8 posts in the roll call thread and it's almost October, can I pretend the applicant pool is much smaller this year and I will therefore have a better chance of acceptance?

Perhaps people are busy reading this forum or just too lazy too upload their profiles

Since there are only 8 posts in the roll call thread and it's almost October, can I pretend the applicant pool is much smaller this year and I will therefore have a better chance of acceptance?

I'm sorry to say that I just posted my profile and now the applicant pool has increased by ten percent.

I complain about having to juggle 40-50hrs of work while balancing classes, but people like Glen Weyl make me feel like a crybaby. He completed his BA + MA + PhD in 5-6 years? That's the same amount of time it takes most people to complete just their PhD alone. I feel like I have no excuses now.

Do you guys do 1 step of each application at a time, or complete 1 whole application at a time?

I am just doing it piece by piece. I'll do something like send all my GRE scores out, or write my name and address four times in a row. I think it's more efficient to do it that way.

Am Kenyan hoping for an admission to a good development economics program

I did my GRE yesterday and am very disappointed with my score

English 143

Maths 150

Do I stand a chance of getting an admission to a good PhD program?

Kindly advice on where I should apply

I have Bachelors degree in Mathematics- First class honors

Master of Philosophy in Finance _ University Of Cambridge

Masters of Public Policy and Administration- Kenyatta University ( Continuing)

Am Kenyan hoping for an admission to a good development economics program

I did my GRE yesterday and am very disappointed with my score

English 143

Maths 150

Do I stand a chance of getting an admission to a good PhD program?

Kindly advice on where I should apply

I have Bachelors degree in Mathematics- First class honors

Master of Philosophy in Finance _ University Of Cambridge

Masters of Public Policy and Administration- Kenyatta University ( Continuing)

You would need to post a full profile evaluation to get a complete answer, but I don't think that you will be able to get in anywhere with that GRE score. You should try retaking the GRE.

I now have a list of 21 schools and I am struggling to figure out if I should cut it down. On one hand, this is my second time around and I have a very noisy profile. OTOH, I have a very busy semester and no time to fill out that many applications. Also, one of my LOR writers said that she does customize the letter for each school, so I feel bad about applying to that many.

At this point I'm just struggling to get the basic application materials finished while studying for my exams (I have a micro midterm on Friday), completing problem sets, and working on research. I don't even know what I'm going to do about the NSF--hopefully the shutdown will result in the deadline being pushed off.

You would need to post a full profile evaluation to get a complete answer, but I don't think that you will be able to get in anywhere with that GRE score. You should try retaking the GRE.

Kindly evaluate the profile below.

Education

1. University of Cambridge- Master of Philosophy in Finance- Average score-64

2. Kenyatta University- Masters of Public Policy and administration- Continuing

3. Jomo Kenyatta University- Bachelor of science in Mathematics and Computer Science

4. Kenya Institute of Management- Diploma in Total Quality Management

Work Experience

1. United Nations Support Office for AMISOM- Budget Assistant

2. Jomo Kenyatta University- Part time Lecturer

3.Center for Financial and Policy Analysis- Research Assistant

4. Kenya airways- Planning analyst

Awards

• Cambridge University Commonwealth Scholarship
  • World Bank scholarship- Deferred Acceptance
  • Embassy of Korea Kenya scholarship
  • Safaricom Foundation Scholarship
  • Joe Wanjui Women Trust Fund Beneficiary
  • JKUAT Babaroa and Vice Chancellors Award

I did not prepare well for GRE, because of time constrain, work plus I go for evening masters classes.

4 submitted out of 7, just need to pay the fees, submit send the annoying extra forms and transcripts and GRE scores for the remaining 3... and then a whole lot of waiting and crying in march :'( thats gonna be fun :D

.... grrr.... maybe I should have more, but honestly dont think Id be that interested in going anywhere other than where Ive applied :/ how many schools are you guys applying to ?