Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How are applications going for everyone?

Like last time, I have basically divided my applications into a list of those with earlier deadlines (January 2nd and earlier) and those with later deadlines. I am completing those with earlier deadlines before starting on those with later deadlines, and I started working on the earlier batch of applications last week.

just waiting on one last letter for caltech to be submitted (haha like I have a shot there :D how to waste money applying... ) and for my last official transcript to be sent to me so I can scan it and send it off to UCSB, hopefully should be done by the end of the month and be fixed on my future by mid march :D ..... not really looking forward to the inbetween period :/ being rejected everywhere would suck majorly! also it ll leave me time to add some more if I want, ones who have later deadlines (e.g. Arizona, Pitt, Austin). In case I start panicking and thinking I need more apps :D

I have a question guys.

I am applying for almost all of top 20. I have submitted all my applications.

For most of the schools when I log in I can see whether they have received my transcript or GRE score etc.

However, for a good amount of the schools, the websites do not show any information except whether recommendations were submitted.

How will I know if my GRE/transcripts were received? Wait a few weeks and email the department to confirm my application is complete?

After you submit your application, for most schools I can log back on and see whether they have received my materials (GRE score, hard copy transcript etc).

However, for some of my schools they do not show this (ie. Harvard), and they only show whether your recommendations were received.

What should one do in this situation? Assume that they will eventually/or have already received your GRE/transcript? Or should I wait another few weeks and email the schools department to confirm they have received all my documents?

Anyone else having trouble with referees not replying to their e-mails or really taking their time to reply? :(

Tell me about it! Through trial-and-error I have discovered that one of my referees only replies to short emails. It's a good life lesson, teaching me to be concise.

I have a question guys.

I am applying for almost all of top 20. I have submitted all my applications.

For most of the schools when I log in I can see whether they have received my transcript or GRE score etc.

However, for a good amount of the schools, the websites do not show any information except whether recommendations were submitted.

How will I know if my GRE/transcripts were received? Wait a few weeks and email the department to confirm my application is complete?

Any tips anyone? :(

does anyone know whether the recommendation forms are more or less similar across different schools? atleast when they use the same appyourself system? I am worried my referees would be annoyed if the forms are very different from each other.

Seconding what gc98835 said. I've checked out quite a few of the recommendation forms, and they seem pretty consistent. In fact, one of my referees was able to easily complete >10 in one evening.

Seconding what gc98835 said. I've checked out quite a few of the recommendation forms, and they seem pretty consistent. In fact, one of my referees was able to easily complete >10 in one evening.

thanks for useful info. My letter writers have been very busy and reluctant in writing me more than 10 schools. This could be helpful to tell him next time :)

One of my recommender just completed 9 forms in about 30 minutes (I was getting e-mails notifying that he has finished) - not that bad. Although he still has to complete the other half ;)

One of my advisors told me yesterday that he will submit letters next week, but I have not yet begun the last two of my online applications with late deadline ..