Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Eight is way too few. Last year I applied to 12, IIRC, and that was too few.

I am still unsure of how many I will apply to, and that number will likely depend on how I do in the PhD micro class I am taking at a top-25 this semester. If I do well enough that I can be pretty sure that I will get in (or if I get such a feeling from my professor there), I may apply to fewer schools. Otherwise I am planning on applying to around 20 schools. Twenty is on the high side but I have a very noisy profile (much more so than last year), so I'm really unsure of where I will end up.

Eight is way too few. Last year I applied to 12, IIRC, and that was too few.

I am still unsure of how many I will apply to, and that number will likely depend on how I do in the PhD micro class I am taking at a top-25 this semester. If I do well enough that I can be pretty sure that I will get in (or if I get such a feeling from my professor there), I may apply to fewer schools. Otherwise I am planning on applying to around 20 schools. Twenty is on the high side but I have a very noisy profile (much more so than last year), so I'm really unsure of where I will end up.

That's a ridiculous amount. IIRC you will be sending 3 different transcripts for each school no? Plus application fees & GREs reporting fees? That's some serious mulah. I would imagine 8-10 for the super confident with exceptional profiles, 10-12 for the above average & ~15 apps for everybody else.

Cost will probably vary with regards to transcripts, since some (most?) schools allow you to upload an unofficial copy.

For someone with financial resources it is totally reasonable to apply to ~20 schools. The difference of cost between applying to 10 schools and spending $1000-$1200 and applying to 20 and spending double that is far, far less than sitting on the sidelines for a year.

That's a ridiculous amount. IIRC you will be sending 3 different transcripts for each school no? Plus application fees & GREs reporting fees? That's some serious mulah. I would imagine 8-10 for the super confident with exceptional profiles, 10-12 for the above average & ~15 apps for everybody else.

Cost will probably vary with regards to transcripts, since some (most?) schools allow you to upload an unofficial copy.

Actually, I thankfully have a relative who volunteered to pay all application costs, so the only cost to me is the opportunity cost of my time. (I paid my own way during college for everything that scholarships didn't cover, so don't think that I am ridiculously spoiled. Also, those of you who know my quite unusual situation will know that I am not). And I actually need to send four transcripts to each school.

Twenty really does seem to high, but my profile is really so noisy that I don't have a clear range to target. I'm worried about simply finding the time.

For someone with financial resources it is totally reasonable to apply to ~20 schools. The difference of cost between applying to 10 schools and spending $1000-$1200 and applying to 20 and spending double that is far, far less than sitting on the sidelines for a year.

And this is my second application season already.

Actually isn't there another (hidden) cost? That your LOR writers might be less than happy to have to write to so many different schools?

I actually asked my adviser about that, and he said it is not a problem since once the letter is written, it isn't a big deal to send it to more schools.

Great! I guess I will clarify it with my LOR writers then. I will make the point that if I get shut out due to applying to too few schools, they will have to write me letters AGAIN the next year. That should convince them (unless they operate on pitilessly high discount rates).

Just talk to them about your app list - I would be surprised if they see a few more as a problem. Remember: your letter writers have been through this process, too. When I originally talked to one of my professors about applying to PhD programs, he supplied me with a list of nearly 20 programs to consider. I talked with another professor after narrowing my list down to 10, and he suggested another program to add. So, not only will your letter writers most likely not mind submitting a few more letters, they could have some good suggestions for programs to consider that you may have initially overlooked.

Great! I guess I will clarify it with my LOR writers then. I will make the point that if I get shut out due to applying to too few schools, they will have to write me letters AGAIN the next year. That should convince them (unless they operate on pitilessly high discount rates).

That's fine, but remember the mercilessness of hyperbolic discounting.

Edited by adam12

Did my GRE on Thursday, and my preliminary scores were good! 167Q 160V, with a 2 week wait for AWA and final scores. I'm hoping for a 5.0 on the AWA!

Does anyone know if preliminary scores tend to change much?

from experience it doesn't change much.In the new GRE mine didn't change but in the old format my math went down by 10 points which is equivalent to about 1 point in the new format I think.

One of my recommenders did not like most of my safety schools (i.e., UNM). He suggested that I re-apply the following year if I am not accepted into one of the better schools this round. For those of you trying again for 2014, what are your thoughts on this advice? Were you in the prior attempt accepted into some safety school but rejected the acceptance to re-apply to your top choices?

One of my recommenders did not like most of my safety schools (i.e., UNM). He suggested that I re-apply the following year if I am not accepted into one of the better schools this round. For those of you trying again for 2014, what are your thoughts on this advice? Were you in the prior attempt accepted into some safety school but rejected the acceptance to re-apply to your top choices?

i think it is pointless to apply to schools you will not be happy going to. Having said that, you should apply only to schools you will be happy to enroll in if no better school has accepted you, not to schools your adviser would not be happy you go to. If you think you will be happy with UNM if no better school accepted you then go for it. Your professors can give you valuable advice and you should listen to them, but be aware that a lot of the profs may overestimate your chances of admission. There have been plenty of people on this forum whose professors thought they will place much better than they did. This is especially true if your profs have not been directly involved with the admissions process for some time since it has been getting more and more competitive with every year.

Good advice. Actually it may not be a bad thing if your LOR writer over-estimates your chances, since it indicates that your LOR writer thinks highly of you and that can only help your letter. But it's wise not to rely on them completely when it comes to school choice.

(It's odd: whenever I writer L-O-R, TM auto-converts it to letter of recommendation.)

Edited by NBZ

Good advice. Actually it may not be a bad thing if your LOR writer over-estimates your chances, since it indicates that your LOR writer thinks highly of you and that can only help your letter. But it's wise not to rely on them completely when it comes to school choice.

(It's odd: whenever I writer L-O-R, TM auto-converts it to letter of recommendation.)

Try typing p-p-l without the dashes and see what happens.