Urch Forums

2014 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

XanthusARES

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys! I had an interview yesterday and one of the professors asked me whether I want to stay in the U.S. after graduation or leave for somewhere else. I just told them that I have no clear idea at the moment. I'm an international and I can't figure out why did the interviewer ask this question and why does it matter to them. What do you think?

Isman, I was also asked the same question during my interview at one of the schools I applied to. Just out of curiosity, is this school in Illinois?

I just saw that Auburn University just started a new finance phd program this year. I as looking at their faculty, and I cant see any of them that have seen any A pubs in the last 5 years, which makes me a little suspect. Does anybody have any input on this?

can anybody shed some light on the conversion rate from interview to acceptance. I am applying for management (strategy/entrepreneurship). So far I had one interview and one campus visit with no acceptance :(

For my case, I got into both schools that interviewed me.

can anybody shed some light on the conversion rate from interview to acceptance. I am applying for management (strategy/entrepreneurship). So far I had one interview and one campus visit with no acceptance :(

I had three acceptances this year. One school interviewed 10 people with only 4 seats. The second pretty much interviewed people they want to accept. I guess they were just trying to make sure I wasn't insane or anything lol. The third pretty much told me before the interview "we're looking to accept you, we just wanna chat for a bit over Skype first." So it really depends on the school.

It's really hard to say because it is really school specific. As others have mentioned some interview a bunch for a few seats. Of the schools I interviewed at they all were just doing a sanity check, except Wisconsin who were interviewing 10 people for 4 spots. Depending on when you interview was it might not hurt to send one of your interviewers an email and just ask about timelines. Make sure you sound really interested and excited about the program. If you'll definitely accept it if they offer it, you might want to tell them that. I'm thinking something along the lines of:

"I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to meet with you. Seeing your campus and speaking with some students has really made me extremely excited about the program. I think that I could learn a lot and add to your research stream in this way... I also (add interesting quip from interview here, something funny that they will definitely remember). I wanted to ask about the time line for hearing back. I know that it's busy right now, and I don't want to rush you, but I'm just really excited about the possibility of joining you this fall. Thank you again for your time."

I don't think that is out of bounds.

As others have suggested the conversion rate between interviews and offers greatly depends on the school. In my experience it seemed to vary from near 100% down to about 25% (not counting people who were waitlisted and might be accepted later). I would second Xanthus advice above, if it has been some time there is probably little harm in asking and there might be some benefit in showing you are still interested.

Hi!

I, waitlisted at a T -10 school, can relate very well with thread title. I have been interviewed on Skype, have dropped a followup email to POI (on lines similar to that of suggested by Xanthus), and have called the PhD office to find an update. School has given 15th April as deadline to the candidates; am wondering if there is anything further I can do to move from 'waitlist' to ever so elusive 'offered' list.

Hi!

I, waitlisted at a T -10 school, can relate very well with thread title. I have been interviewed on Skype, have dropped a followup email to POI (on lines similar to that of suggested by Xanthus), and have called the PhD office to find an update. School has given 15th April as deadline to the candidates; am wondering if there is anything further I can do to move from 'waitlist' to ever so elusive 'offered' list.

Probably not, most schools have already sent out their offers, which means that the people on the waitlist are waiting on the offer holders to make their decisions. While you, as a waitlister, want to know all of your options badly, the offer holders want to absolutely make sure that they make the right choice.... somehwere in the middle is the department, who wants the offer holders to decide (hopefully in their favor) so that they can move forward and solidify the incoming class!

Several parties here all with different incentives... so while it's a difficult wait, there's nothing much you can do about it... contacting people at the department doesn't do much for you at this point, as for the most part once an offer is declined, phd directors generally move quickly down the waitlist to see who is still available.

That probably wasn't the best piece of news you were looking for, but hope that helps a bit in understanding all the forces at play here.

Hi!

You can ask your position on the waitlist, that will give you some idea about your chances (assuming they reveal your position).

Hi!

And also, you can go visit the school if it is nearby, that will be a great opportunity to interact with Profs and decision makers.

Probably not, most schools have already sent out their offers, which means that the people on the waitlist are waiting on the offer holders to make their decisions. While you, as a waitlister, want to know all of your options badly, the offer holders want to absolutely make sure that they make the right choice.... somehwere in the middle is the department, who wants the offer holders to decide (hopefully in their favor) so that they can move forward and solidify the incoming class!

Several parties here all with different incentives... so while it's a difficult wait, there's nothing much you can do about it... contacting people at the department doesn't do much for you at this point, as for the most part once an offer is declined, phd directors generally move quickly down the waitlist to see who is still available.

That probably wasn't the best piece of news you were looking for, but hope that helps a bit in understanding all the forces at play here.

This was the advice I was going to give, probably not so eloquently, though. So my new advice is to follow this advice.

It's really hard to say because it is really school specific. As others have mentioned some interview a bunch for a few seats. Of the schools I interviewed at they all were just doing a sanity check, except Wisconsin who were interviewing 10 people for 4 spots. Depending on when you interview was it might not hurt to send one of your interviewers an email and just ask about timelines. Make sure you sound really interested and excited about the program. If you'll definitely accept it if they offer it, you might want to tell them that. I'm thinking something along the lines of:

"I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to meet with you. Seeing your campus and speaking with some students has really made me extremely excited about the program. I think that I could learn a lot and add to your research stream in this way... I also (add interesting quip from interview here, something funny that they will definitely remember). I wanted to ask about the time line for hearing back. I know that it's busy right now, and I don't want to rush you, but I'm just really excited about the possibility of joining you this fall. Thank you again for your time."

I don't think that is out of bounds.

Great advise. Thank you.

Agreed on major variation in acceptance rate after the interview. From my (very limited) personal experience, it seems like the acceptance rates after interview are usually fairly high for places where the Dept flies you out to campus, and may or may not be high for places where it is only a brief Skype interview.

Has anybody heard from Carlson (Minnesota) OB / HR PhD Program?

I wrote to the PhD coordinator and was informed that offers have been rolled out and candidates have been given time till 15th April. However GC and this forum seems to be missing update from any candidate reporting an 'accept'...

Has anybody heard from Carlson (Minnesota) OB / HR PhD Program?

I wrote to the PhD coordinator and was informed that offers have been rolled out and candidates have been given time till 15th April. However GC and this forum seems to be missing update from any candidate reporting an 'accept'...

Hey Sailor, I'm just in the same situation as you:)

The last time I contacted my POI he said they were waiting to hear back from those who got initial round of offers and they have until April 15th to decide.

BTW: What does it mean by saying "rolled out"? Have they sent out multiple rounds of offers (to people on the wait list)?

Hey Sailor, I'm just in the same situation as you:)

The last time I contacted my POI he said they were waiting to hear back from those who got initial round of offers and they have until April 15th to decide.

BTW: What does it mean by saying "rolled out"? Have they sent out multiple rounds of offers (to people on the wait list)?

We are in the same boat then! Goes well with my handle :)

I was told that "offers were rolled out to initial set of candidates and we are waiting to hear from them"; hence I do not think that they have sent out multiple rounds of offers.

Wishing you the very best

I am on a waitlist for Minnesota and the coordinator I spoke with said they are having a school-wide meeting next week to determine where the last bits of funding may go. I think we will hear about getting a spot or not by the end of next week.

I am on a waitlist for Minnesota and the coordinator I spoke with said they are having a school-wide meeting next week to determine where the last bits of funding may go. I think we will hear about getting a spot or not by the end of next week.

The next couple of days will likely be excruciating for you. It'll all be over soon! I hope that they can find the money.

Hey guys as we come to the end of the application season I wanted to say congratulations to everyone who has made a decision. Please, if you feel comfortable, include your stats and which school you accepted on here. I know that previous years information was extremely helpful for me and, I assume, our information will be extremely helpful for others.

For those of you who didn't get accepted this year, I know how it feels. Take some time to re-evaluate your profile, maybe ask your wife if it is ok to move across the country to do a master's. If she says no, divorce her butt (I'm kidding of course). The best advice I can give is to really make sure your research interests align with the schools to which you are applying and that your profile fits as well. The schools I was invited to interview with all had the best fit research wise and profile wise and the schools who didn't interview me were either out of my league (Duke) or not a great research fit (Cornell). Take the time to really come up with a great list of schools.

We'll always be around to help those in need (like Batman), so feel free to ask any questions you want. Those of us moving on will probably taper off a bit, similar to previous years, but I'm sure we'll be back to check on the site sometimes. Good luck!

• Like 1

Also, to go off what XA said... For those who didn't get in this year, don't be discouraged. Give it another go! You'll be surprised how much a year could make a difference. Just work towards creating a better application. I personally know a friend who applied two years ago and got rejected by 15 programs. Last year, he got accepted to five programs (and another two waitlists), one of them being arguably a top 10 in his field. Good luck!

And best of luck in the fall semester for those who got in! :)