Urch Forums

2014 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

XanthusARES

You really can't go wrong with either. My first post PhD purchase going to be a 72 SS Nova.

I figure a hands on project like a classic car might help me keep my sanity during a PhD program.

I hope I run into you at a conference somewhere along the way. We can discuss classic cars over scotch and cigars.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that this discussion has moved from ultra-stressed applicants to warm clothing and muscle cars.

Haha! It's the first sign that we've passed this first hurdle and are transforming back into human beings again from the application-crazy zombies that our loved ones have tolerated for much too long.

On my end, it looks like the F-150 is Philly bound this summer. I accepted the Wharton offer this week. It took a little longer than I anticipated because there was one other program that I really wanted to check out, but the research fit at Wharton was just too perfect to pass up and the program seems like a really good fit on so many other levels too.

Congratulations to all those that have made their choices, and all the best to those that are still weighing their options!

^ Well put. I'm glad to have the, "where will we be in a year?" question answered. A zombie is probably an apt way to describe me during that period of waiting.

I have been working with a Wharton PhD who is doing her post doc at Washington. Her plan is to get out of academia, but still has some work to publish. Wharton was a research machine (as evidenced by their prolific management publication record) and it soured her experience. But I can see how a research junkie would love to be there. I hope that it is all that you are looking for, Double A.

I'm glad that I can be more attentive to my family now that the dust has settled a little. The resulting sleep is no doubt helping.

Haha! It's the first sign that we've passed this first hurdle and are transforming back into human beings again from the application-crazy zombies that our loved ones have tolerated for much too long.

Wait, are you suggesting that we were somehow obsessed with getting access to others brains.

I am planning to brush up my quant skills this summer before my program starts, but i was strongly advised by current students to take the time off and relax.

My previous industry's busy season was the summer, so I am looking forward to ANY time off in the summer at all. It has been a long time. My plan is to read (relaxing anyway) as much as I can this summer and take a couple of weeks off just before the PhD orientation. I'm working full-time now and plan to end that appointment in July, giving me a couple of months to enact the plan above.

Guys! I had an interview yesterday and one of the professors asked me whether I want to stay in the U.S. after graduation or leave for somewhere else. I just told them that I have no clear idea at the moment. I'm an international and I can't figure out why did the interviewer ask this question and why does it matter to them. What do you think?

Guys! I had an interview yesterday and one of the professors asked me whether I want to stay in the U.S. after graduation or leave for somewhere else. I just told them that I have no clear idea at the moment. I'm an international and I can't figure out why did the interviewer ask this question and why does it matter to them. What do you think?

I think they ask international students this more than US citizens. I've been asked this as well. It's probably because they want a great placement record and to train students to be top-notch researchers at top research schools and all that. If, for example, my plan is to go back home to a mediocre teaching school, where I won't be able to publish as much especially in top journals, then they probably would rather go for another student who wants all of that is my guess.

I think they ask international students this more than US citizens. I've been asked this as well. It's probably because they want a great placement record and to train students to be top-notch researchers at top research schools and all that. If, for example, my plan is to go back home to a mediocre teaching school, where I won't be able to publish as much especially in top journals, then they probably would rather go for another student who wants all of that is my guess.

What you say makes sense but the thing is, that program is not a "top" research program and most its graduates are historically placed in teaching school!

I am pretty sure your answer to this question will not influence their decision, I was asked similar questions as well, its just to get an idea about your future plans.

I am pretty sure your answer to this question will not influence their decision, I was asked similar questions as well, its just to get an idea about your future plans.

I agree. When a program (or professor) is gauging "fit," they will ask questions to find out what your future aspirations are. As an employer, I would ask these types of questions too. I believe that your interviewer was just trying to see how you see your life shaping up in the long-term. Where do you figure you will end up after you earn your PhD? That questions does not seem strange to me, nor does it appear discriminatory. Your answer is unique to your plans.

I also think it is okay to dance around the answer if you are not sure. It appears that you (isman) did this just fine, answering that you are not sure at this point. I do think that it would be better if you knew where you want to end up, but I believe that honestly and genuinely answering the question is better than just saying what you think the school wants to hear. I would guess that there are a lot of people who do not finish a PhD as a result of gaining entrance to a program under false pretenses (saying what the school wanted to hear) and then realizing that it is not what they actually want. I'm obviously generalizing here. But it is best to be honest.

And maybe now is a good time to start thinking about where you want to end up after the PhD.

To be honest, I expected the decision making process to be easier. It's super hard but I really really hope I soon reach the stage you guys are at - talking about summer and muscle cars :)

Not all of us had 4 offers to choose from! I'm guessing that your decision chart is complicated. Best of luck in choosing a nest. :)

I agree. When a program (or professor) is gauging "fit," they will ask questions to find out what your future aspirations are. As an employer, I would ask these types of questions too. I believe that your interviewer was just trying to see how you see your life shaping up in the long-term. Where do you figure you will end up after you earn your PhD? That questions does not seem strange to me, nor does it appear discriminatory. Your answer is unique to your plans.

I also think it is okay to dance around the answer if you are not sure. It appears that you (isman) did this just fine, answering that you are not sure at this point. I do think that it would be better if you knew where you want to end up, but I believe that honestly and genuinely answering the question is better than just saying what you think the school wants to hear. I would guess that there are a lot of people who do not finish a PhD as a result of gaining entrance to a program under false pretenses (saying what the school wanted to hear) and then realizing that it is not what they actually want. I'm obviously generalizing here. But it is best to be honest.

And maybe now is a good time to start thinking about where you want to end up after the PhD.

I know what I want to do and where I hope to be after completing my PhD but I was uncomfortable talking about it (maybe because I'm an international), so I danced around the question! ;)

Not all of us had 4 offers to choose from! I'm guessing that your decision chart is complicated. Best of luck in choosing a nest. :)

Aww that's sweet of you! None of my admits in Ivy League schools or anything :P

And I finally did. Just accepted one and declined the others. Wheeeww!!

And I finally did. Just accepted one and declined the others. Wheeeww!!

Congrats! I know it is tough turning down programs that you think highly of. Oddly enough I had a couple people from places that gave me offers I declined tell me that the program I'm headed too was excellent and had good people in it. I think they know how hard it is to choose and they were trying to offer a little reassurance. To me that says a lot about those individuals and about the level of mutual respect between the various faculty. Hopefully I'll be talking to some of the same people again in 5 years when I need a job. :-)

I have noticed that professors are very professional and courteous when speaking of other programs, almost to the extent of promoting another program. It was unsettling at first, and I wondered, aren't you trying to recruit me? Why would you speak so highly of another program? But I realize now that it is just a really small community of researchers. Disparaging comments would not advance the field, and I think these people realize that. And like Info said above, you could be coming back for a job in the future. Who wants to work in an atmosphere of backstabbing and infighting? Not me.

I'm sure that a good amount of negativity exists, but it was remarkable to me how frequently ALL of the schools spoke highly of the other programs to which I applied. That does not match my experience in the professional world, where it seems that a majority of people are plotting to throw their colleagues under the bus.

I hope my application experience is close to reality. It would be a refreshing change.

Tell me about it. At one of my interviews the professor asked me which other schools I'm looking at and I mentioned I already have an offer from university X. He said something along the lines of wow that's a great school. Obviously, we hope you come to our school, but if you decide to go there, I'd be really happy for you too. When I ended up choosing university X that same professor sent me an email saying that's a great choice and that I will get great training and that I should keep in touch. I wasn't expecting that.

Yeah all of the programs I talked to were extremely nice about the other programs. Some even offered to sit down and talk with me about my options and give some much needed advice. Needless to say I chose a program that did this. The fact that the faculty took time to sit down with me and answer all of my asinine questions about other programs really showed that they truly did care about my future, and wanted me to go to the best program for me. Obviously their views were slightly biased towards their own program, but it still meant a lot to get that personal attention. Hopefully that attention will continue throughout the program.

Congrats! I know it is tough turning down programs that you think highly of. Oddly enough I had a couple people from places that gave me offers I declined tell me that the program I'm headed too was excellent and had good people in it. I think they know how hard it is to choose and they were trying to offer a little reassurance. To me that says a lot about those individuals and about the level of mutual respect between the various faculty. Hopefully I'll be talking to some of the same people again in 5 years when I need a job. :-)

Totally true. The other schools were appreciative and had such wonderful things to say about the school I choose. In fact, someone, who I spoke in length with about my research interest, even pointed out a potential faculty member at my chosen school. I know I can't go wrong with my decision, but I wish I could pursue a PhD in all of these schools :)