Urch Forums

2014 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

XanthusARES

We'll always be around to help those in need (like Batman), so feel free to ask any questions you want. Those of us moving on will probably taper off a bit, similar to previous years, but I'm sure we'll be back to check on the site sometimes. Good luck!

This made me a little sad...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. If it makes you sad, be part of the happier solution. We will all get busy. But let's keep checking in. It appears that some current students have been able to stay active on the forum. We can follow their lead.

I know what you mean. If it makes you sad, be part of the happier solution. We will all get busy. But let's keep checking in. It appears that some current students have been able to stay active on the forum. We can follow their lead.

It will be amazing how you view and see people going through the same situation you were, but having the hindsight of what comes post-acceptance and after being on the other side of the coin. =)

Yes lets try to stay moderately active here :)

and lets fix a date in 5 years or so when we will have a reunion where we all log in on the same day and exchange hopefully happy stories :drunk:

Yes lets try to stay moderately active here :)

and lets fix a date in 5 years or so when we will have a reunion where we all log in on the same day and exchange hopefully happy stories :drunk:

July 4th 2019 let's all meet at the McDonald's off of exit 165 on the PA turnpike.

This reminds me of that heartwrenching scene in "The Breakfast Club" after they all share their secrets, fears etc. and someone asks if they'll still say 'hi' to each other on Monday in the halls ... please tell me someone's seen it or I really AM too old.

Anyways, I, for one, see this as a little bit of a bittersweet end. The sweet is obvious, the bitter is saying goodbye to all the information, comfort, hilarity, and much needed distraction this place has provided. I want to extend a big THANK YOU to all the people that feed this beast, past, present and future.

I'll definitely commit to checking in from time to time and sharing what little nuggets of n=1 wisdom I have gleaned, especially during those critical Nov/Dec periods, and the Feb/March interview and decision times.

Business URCH Class of 2014 reunion? hello? I will have the date of April 15th ingrained in my brain for the rest of my life! seems like a natural to me.

Business URCH Class of 2014 reunion? hello? I will have the date of April 15th ingrained in my brain for the rest of my life! seems like a natural to me.

Well in the US April 15th in ingrained in our heads as tax day, lol.

Don't think of it as the end of Urch, think of it as the begining of seeing each other in person and conferences and what not. :-)

:) That made me smile. And thanks to all you guys, current students as well as fellow applicants. Could not have gotten through this without you. I may have not contributed as much, but I still feel home here. Good luck to all of us! Hope we make the forum proud.

This reminds me of that heartwrenching scene in "The Breakfast Club" after they all share their secrets, fears etc. and someone asks if they'll still say 'hi' to each other on Monday in the halls ... please tell me someone's seen it or I really AM too old.

"Don't you forget about me" is playing in my head right now. :) I'll be too old with you.

I'm sure it would be easier to make the forum proud if we published under our Urch handles. I didn't do the best job choosing a name if that is the plan. Should've thought of that ahead of time. You may have the same problem Snickers, unless the single-blind reviewers are really hungry and craving a candy bar.

Aww.... I am sad to read Xanthus' post too! The other day I was talking to my husband about attending the conference in August and he told me how boring it would be since I wouldn't know anyone. I replied and said of course not...my other friends will be there!

Yup, as wierd as it seems , somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I consider the frequent posters in this forum my friends! He was surprised because he was wondering who my PhD friends would be!!!

In any case, although I joined the forum late and I was mostly a lurker ( I did make a few posts though), I want to sincerely thank Xanthus who started the thread, all the other guys (myndfood, arcticapplicant, phdplease, gmatdanger , eventualprof, snickers, etc)who posted and shared information selflessly and encouraged others through out this process. I really would love to be 'real friends' with you and if you are interested too, please pm me and I'll send you my facebook page info. It will be nice to have an urch forum dinner at the conference in August!

Aww.... I am sad to read Xanthus' post too! The other day I was talking to my husband about attending the conference in August and he told me how boring it would be since I wouldn't know anyone. I replied and said of course not...my other friends will be there!

Yup, as wierd as it seems , somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I consider the frequent posters in this forum my friends! He was surprised because he was wondering who my PhD friends would be!!!

In any case, although I joined the forum late and I was mostly a lurker ( I did make a few posts though), I want to sincerely thank Xanthus who started the thread, all the other guys (myndfood, arcticapplicant, phdplease, gmatdanger , eventualprof, snickers, etc)who posted and shared information selflessly and encouraged others through out this process. I really would love to be 'real friends' with you and if you are interested too, please pm me and I'll send you my facebook page info. It will be nice to have an urch forum dinner at the conference in August!

I wholeheartedly second lya's sentiment. This is my second round of applications and I'm pretty sure the process would have been way more difficult and stressful without the awesome people on this forum. I'm excited about being in the same cohort with one of you guys but would definitely be great to buy you all a round one day! :)

I won't be at AOM this year. I'm moving that week. But I will be in Vancouver for AOM the following year. I would definitely make an Urch meet-up a priority, especially if metia is buying drinks!

Iya, I think you are in the majority as a lurker, but we're glad that you went out on a limb and signed up to post. The quality posts are what makes this thread unique. There is very little "I scored 800/6/8 on my GMAT, have 20 pubs, and I need help choosing a program, give me some attention" going on here. And when it does, we have a 'sapphire rodent' to sniff it out and ninja-kick it in the face. I saw one the other day that was handled appropriately and shut down. All the PM requests in that instance were making me think someone was going to get hit up for travel money after a sob-story pitch. Anyway, the forum has legs because there is very little BS tolerance and active moderation. I hope that a good number of applicants from this season that stick around.

Anyway, the forum has legs because there is very little BS tolerance and active moderation.

Actually we got moderators only recently, before that this forum still wasn't polluted for years without ANY moderation (luckily we didn't get many spambots), mainly because of low BS tolerance as you said.

I'm presenting twice at academy of management this year and going out for jobs, hope to see some folks there.

Since I've got numerous requests:

Approaches to Modeling: Bayesian, Computational, and Multinomial Logit

Monday, August 04, 2014

11:30:00 AM - 1:00:00 PM

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, Independence D

The Power of Words in Strategizing Activities - Translating, storytelling, and advancing theory

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

1:15:00 PM - 2:45:00 PM

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, Parlor D

Edited by rsaylors