Urch Forums

Fall 2016 Finance

Dickgrayson

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booth has only sent out the admissions for the Finance + Economics Ph.D. They have not released their general admits for pure finance Ph.D.s.

I applied to their Finance program, but chose "yes" for consideration of their joint finance+econ PhD program. I got rejection email two days ago.

How acceptable is it to email programs asking for updates on their admissions process(basically just to see if they have already thrown out my application)? Is it considered rude? I only ask because I am only waiting on one more school(my top choice), but I know it is a long shot for me to get in and I would like to know where I'm going to be next year ASAP for planning purposes.

First timer here on Urch-

Thus far my results have been

Rochester - Rejected

HEC Paris - Rejected

OSU - Interviewed and Waitlisted

Oregon - Interviewed and Waitlisted

UF - Interviewed and Waiting

Tilburg - Interviewed and Waiting

Rice - Scheduled Interview

Delaware - Scheduled Interview

Bocconi - Accepted with Fellowship

Waiting to hear back from many other programs, though some I have a feeling I'm out of the running for positive news based on gradcafe results.

I was personally wondering if anybody could shed some more light on the overall reputation of Bocconi University's PhD in Finance program; hope my input helps

Rochester - Rejected

HEC Paris - Rejected

Waiting to hear back from many other programs, though some I have a feeling I'm out of the running for positive news based on gradcafe results.

I was personally wondering if anybody could shed some more light on the overall reputation of Bocconi University's PhD in Finance program; hope my input helps

Congratulations Yongsan! Hope you will get into your dream school.

I applied to Fisher OSU but haven't heard anything, and with you (and certainly others) waitlisted I'm sure I must be out. Just wonder why they haven't sent rejection emails (the application status is still pending?). Would you mind sharing your profile via inbox?

And by any chance if anyone has heard from Tinbergen Institute, please let me know. The info will probably help end my waiting for this application season. Thanks a lot!

Rochester - Rejected

HEC Paris - Rejected

You make me realize I am out for many programs,haha. Congratulations, you must have very strong profile.

Looking at gradcafe results, it seems like Chicago and Yale make offers to "at least" a few candidates for finance Phd without an interview. Can someone please confirm this and it will be even better if someone can explain the rationale behind this. Because it seems very strange to me. Why will Chicago/Yale make a 4-5 year commitment on someone without first interviewing them for 20 minutes?!!

Adcom might have clicked "I am feeling lucky"

Looking at gradcafe results, it seems like Chicago and Yale make offers to "at least" a few candidates for finance Phd without an interview. Can someone please confirm this and it will be even better if someone can explain the rationale behind this. Because it seems very strange to me. Why will Chicago/Yale make a 4-5 year commitment on someone without first interviewing them for 20 minutes?!!

I'm not sure how you can really get this from the gradcafe stuff from this year, but I didn't look around too much.

Anyway, econ departments do this all the time, so it isn't that far fetched. I have also seen research that interviews actually make decision making worse in hiring situations. I think that could apply here as well.

I'm not sure how you can really get this from the gradcafe stuff from this year, but I didn't look around too much.

Anyway, econ departments do this all the time, so it isn't that far fetched. I have also seen research that interviews actually make decision making worse in hiring situations. I think that could apply here as well.

I am making this hypothesis/assertion based on last 5-6 years results for Yale and Chicago on gc. For all the other major programs, I see every year few interviews, but for Yale and Chicago I have seen many years no interviews.

I was just hoping that someone who is at Chicago/Yale can confirm this.

I am making this hypothesis/assertion based on last 5-6 years results for Yale and Chicago on gc. For all the other major programs, I see every year few interviews, but for Yale and Chicago I have seen many years no interviews.

I was just hoping that someone who is at Chicago/Yale can confirm this.

I'm usually a lurker, but I can be helpful with this. I got into both Chicago finance and Yale finance, and can indeed confirm that neither interviewed me. (UCLA also did not interview me before admitting me) Those 3 schools are the only ones that did not interview of the 8 or so I applied to.

Hello Urchers,

I am new to the forum but I would really appreciate your help. I have an offer from a university in Europe and I have to give them an answer in two weeks. It is a great school with very good placements however it is not my dream school and dream offer. I am still waiting for some interview results and waitlisted in some better ranked schools as well. There are also some schools which haven't even started the interview process yet.

I am planning to ask for an extension. Is it wise to accept the offer initially and change mind if I get into a better school? What can be the consequences of doing that? I may need to pay some penalty fee but either than that, what else? Does it make me have a bad reputation in academic world? I need serious advice, thanks!